LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by johnthegriff »

Many seem to be under the impression we need another eight, they could be right but no one seems to link Illeoni to the position and I think that is where his future lies. I am sure there are some excellent players sadly probably available at Irish and we have to see who would fit best into our remaining cap if there is any. As someone else said there could be some available under injury dispensation but some how they have to be match fit and ready to go, Worcs and Wasps players had had the benefit of a pre season and a few games when they came available last year the same will not apply to London Irish players unless they are featuring in the World Cup.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:17 am Only player I’d be interested in from LI would be Loader - could potentially replace both Watson and Potter as he’d be available all season. Guy is seriously underrated.
I think that maybe muddies the water around Watson too; can a more available (better value) replacement now be available? Loader, maybe not quite the same talent level but likely to be available all season.

Glad it's not my call!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:41 am Many seem to be under the impression we need another eight, they could be right but no one seems to link Illeoni to the position and I think that is where his future lies. I am sure there are some excellent players sadly probably available at Irish and we have to see who would fit best into our remaining cap if there is any. As someone else said there could be some available under injury dispensation but some how they have to be match fit and ready to go, Worcs and Wasps players had had the benefit of a pre season and a few games when they came available last year the same will not apply to London Irish players unless they are featuring in the World Cup.
I totally agree about Ilione. The only stats I can find for him are 6ft 1 and 16 and a half stone, possibly a little small for 8, though he is very explosive. From the little I’ve seen his best position in the professional game is 7
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:54 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:17 am Only player I’d be interested in from LI would be Loader - could potentially replace both Watson and Potter as he’d be available all season. Guy is seriously underrated.
I think that maybe muddies the water around Watson too; can a more available (better value) replacement now be available? Loader, maybe not quite the same talent level but likely to be available all season.

Glad it's not my call!
Be nice to have both
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Quite. I think the demise of Irish could actually be bad news for Watson. There's so very good "value for money" back 3 players now available - Loader probably being the most attractive.

I wonder if LI folding increases his chances of ending up in France post RWC?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:31 am Quite. I think the demise of Irish could actually be bad news for Watson. There's so very good "value for money" back 3 players now available - Loader probably being the most attractive.

I think that the demise of Irish is bad news for anyone who has not signed a contract for next season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but with this having been on the cards for a while, anyone who was advised to hold out for a better deal rather than sign what was on the table at the end of last season may be in for a real shock.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:40 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:31 am Quite. I think the demise of Irish could actually be bad news for Watson. There's so very good "value for money" back 3 players now available - Loader probably being the most attractive.

I think that the demise of Irish is bad news for anyone who has not signed a contract for next season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but with this having been on the cards for a while, anyone who was advised to hold out for a better deal rather than sign what was on the table at the end of last season may be in for a real shock.
I think it was bad for them already, and now it's just made the situation about 70 players worse. Arguably the clubs, rather than the players and their agents, have the bargaining power this season (unless a player wants to go to the Top14 or is prepared to join ProD2).
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

That’s so key regarding the amount of quality back 3 players available. Yes Watson is high quality but as long as he is selected for England he is going to be away for large chunks of the season. Anyone who employs him next season is not going to see him till November and he’ll missing again during February, and March. Surely the sensible decision is to look for someone slightly short of his level but available all season.

As a slight aside did I see Chesnan Kolbe had turned down a multi million rand contract to return to South Africa
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

A reminder that with 10 teams down from 13, the overlap with internationals has reduced significantly.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:13 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:48 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 am Not as sold on CCS as some, bags of potential yes, but our back row aren’t exactly ready to draw their pensions.
Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the u20 championship against the French and southern hemisphere sides
I think that's the point. At the right price he's worth a punt. A rough diamond who we'd be in no rush to develop. But potentially adding a bit more at 8 than any of our other back up options can offer.
I wonder now what the situation is with Watson???? I believe that he was looking at 2 clubs, LI and Sarries and now LI have gone and Sarries have now retained Maitland I wonder if he really will be staying with us at a salary we can afford
I wonder if it depends who Saracens might poach from LI.
In my opinion, and that means nothing, I would walk away from Watson now unless he is taking a rock bottom deal. With general league finances as they are, it would take a potentially high earner off the wage bill and, if injuries strike, the unfortunate circumstances around finances have meant that there would be a number of injury dispensation players available at any time.

That said, with another employer gone and with the market about to be flooded with another trenche of players, perhaps even the contract on the table is too generous given market conditions.
The club can't walk away from a deal that has been signed
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:58 am

I think that's the point. At the right price he's worth a punt. A rough diamond who we'd be in no rush to develop. But potentially adding a bit more at 8 than any of our other back up options can offer.

In my opinion, and that means nothing, I would walk away from Watson now unless he is taking a rock bottom deal. With general league finances as they are, it would take a potentially high earner off the wage bill and, if injuries strike, the unfortunate circumstances around finances have meant that there would be a number of injury dispensation players available at any time.

That said, with another employer gone and with the market about to be flooded with another trenche of players, perhaps even the contract on the table is too generous given market conditions.
It would be unprofessional and look very bad to attempt to do so as well.

Anthony Watson is a classy operator and is worth keeping at the right level. Ben Loader will be in high demand, Sarries already rumoured to be in advanced negotiations. Arundell is all but announced at Bath. Watson is currently better than both. Any other LI winger would not be close to Watson's level.

If we wanted a winger out of the LI mess then, as I've said before, the young lad Dykes would be the one. Hints of Ashton around how he picks lines off the runner and with his finishing. At 21 9 games and 7 tries last season for LI. One to develop.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

And I don’t think they ever would. For me it’s between Sarries and us, Goode and Maitland staying make us favourites.
As for Irish I did read that their players had been talking to other clubs from a couple of weeks ago, so it would depend on what cap is available and where we are in negotiations with other incoming players.
With 3 Australian sides still in super rugby it may be Mckellar is planning to bring some players over but they could still be in the early stages of talks and if the right player became available via the situation with Irish that could change
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:26 pm

And I don’t think they ever would. For me it’s between Sarries and us, Goode and Maitland staying make us favourites.
As for Irish I did read that their players had been talking to other clubs from a couple of weeks ago, so it would depend on what cap is available and where we are in negotiations with other incoming players.
With 3 Australian sides still in super rugby it may be Mckellar is planning to bring some players over but they could still be in the early stages of talks and if the right player became available via the situation with Irish that could change
I think the the Watson deal has been done and dusted for a while now - he's staying
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:28 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:26 pm

I think the the Watson deal has been done and dusted for a while now - he's staying
How do you know? There has been nothing announced and the only indication was he was not on the list of those leaving.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:01 am
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:41 am Many seem to be under the impression we need another eight, they could be right but no one seems to link Illeoni to the position and I think that is where his future lies. I am sure there are some excellent players sadly probably available at Irish and we have to see who would fit best into our remaining cap if there is any. As someone else said there could be some available under injury dispensation but some how they have to be match fit and ready to go, Worcs and Wasps players had had the benefit of a pre season and a few games when they came available last year the same will not apply to London Irish players unless they are featuring in the World Cup.
I totally agree about Ilione. The only stats I can find for him are 6ft 1 and 16 and a half stone, possibly a little small for 8, though he is very explosive. From the little I’ve seen his best position in the professional game is 7
As I said above, I'd like to see more of Ilione who seems to have spent quite a while in the senior academy. Maybe this suits all parties?