LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by sam16111986 »

MrG2 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:21 pm Don’t forget that both LCD and McGuigan are also currently crocked.
McGuigan played the last two games of the season for Glaws. Unless he got injured again he should be fit.

LCD is obviously a risk but he and George are a cut above the other options England have. Blamire is similarly great around the park but there's some questions over his throwing. McGuigan is a good all rounder but he's lacking a bit of size and power compared to the others and we'll have to see if that has an effect at international level. Walker would have been a good solid option but Borthwick didn't seem to be a fan in the 6N.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by ABClub »

England direly need a fit and firing LCD back for the RWC. Not that the whispers around that are at all positive recently.

George is a cracking player but looked like a knackered set-piece hooker barely keeping up by the end of the tournament.

Borthwick's game plan requires physicality in the forwards and it was sorely lacking in the England setup once they were missing the likes of Tom Curry, Lawes, LCD and Underhill during the Six Nations. Dombrandt bobbling around with the fitness of a Championship prop didn't quite cut it, sadly.

It's why I think most pundits seem in agreement that Martin will be nearly inked in for the final 33-man squad. There are naturally still work ons but he's great in contact. I don't think I've seen an England player naturally dominate tackles like him since Curry and Underhill broke through doing similar.

My only glimmer of hope for the tournament is if a lot of players who haven't been fit and firing recently get fit and firing, then stay that way for the duration. Plus an incredibly favourable draw.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

When is the coaching set up going to be finalised and announced? I am keen to see quantity and quality. Key learning of last 3 years versus the previous fallow period is that multiple high quality coaches are required for success.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Goshengareth wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:13 am When is the coaching set up going to be finalised and announced? I am keen to see quantity and quality. Key learning of last 3 years versus the previous fallow period is that multiple high quality coaches are required for success.
From the soundbites given I think it probably is finalised.

We have a month till the swap to next season’s coaches, so plenty of time to announce them.

There's always a chance that one of the reasons for not announcing is that some of the appointments are involved with other clubs/nations still playing before then...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:52 pm England direly need a fit and firing LCD back for the RWC. Not that the whispers around that are at all positive recently.

George is a cracking player but looked like a knackered set-piece hooker barely keeping up by the end of the tournament.

Borthwick's game plan requires physicality in the forwards and it was sorely lacking in the England setup once they were missing the likes of Tom Curry, Lawes, LCD and Underhill during the Six Nations. Dombrandt bobbling around with the fitness of a Championship prop didn't quite cut it, sadly.

It's why I think most pundits seem in agreement that Martin will be nearly inked in for the final 33-man squad. There are naturally still work ons but he's great in contact. I don't think I've seen an England player naturally dominate tackles like him since Curry and Underhill broke through doing similar.

My only glimmer of hope for the tournament is if a lot of players who haven't been fit and firing recently get fit and firing, then stay that way for the duration. Plus an incredibly favourable draw.
Totally agree about LCD. I also think that Tom Willis is worth a look in physical stakes as he will be a Saracens player from July 1st
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:49 pm
MrG2 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:21 pm Don’t forget that both LCD and McGuigan are also currently crocked.
McGuigan played the last two games of the season for Glaws. Unless he got injured again he should be fit.

LCD is obviously a risk but he and George are a cut above the other options England have. Blamire is similarly great around the park but there's some questions over his throwing. McGuigan is a good all rounder but he's lacking a bit of size and power compared to the others and we'll have to see if that has an effect at international level. Walker would have been a good solid option but Borthwick didn't seem to be a fan in the 6N.
My apologies didn’t realise that McGuigan was back by the seasons end. There is also Singleton if he gets fit to consider
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If we're in the market for outside backs still then Iosefo Masi has had an awesome season for the Fijian Drua, especially today scoring a hatrick against Moana Pacifica
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I'm more concerned with us replenishing our front row stocks. That's where I feel we're a bit light.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:29 am I'm more concerned with us replenishing our front row stocks. That's where I feel we're a bit light.
The expectation/hope is there's a LH incoming. I'm really hoping Slipper might be the man as he'd be an ideal option to push Cronin for the starting shirt whilst Whitcombe develops.

1.Cronin, ???, Whitcombe, van Wyk
2.Montoya, Dolly, Clare, Vanes
3.Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Hoyt

I'm very happy with that if we add a decent LH. Props are often be picked up as injury dispensation if really needed as well.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Possibly we need to replace West but a fit Jimmy Whitcombe to back up Cronin with Van Wyke and Richardson behind is not bad. I think scrum half is looking a little bare if JVP and Ben Youngs are off to the World Cup. Of course there maybe promotions from Academy to Senior Academy that will help.and there is the option of Simmons filling in at 9 in an emergency.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:49 am Possibly we need to replace West but a fit Jimmy Whitcombe to back up Cronin with Van Wyke and Richardson behind is not bad. I think scrum half is looking a little bare if JVP and Ben Youngs are off to the World Cup. Of course there maybe promotions from Academy to Senior Academy that will help.and there is the option of Simmons filling in at 9 in an emergency.
Which is where we would have been prop wise last season, until Wst came in initially as injury cover
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:00 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:49 am Possibly we need to replace West but a fit Jimmy Whitcombe to back up Cronin with Van Wyke and Richardson behind is not bad. I think scrum half is looking a little bare if JVP and Ben Youngs are off to the World Cup. Of course there maybe promotions from Academy to Senior Academy that will help.and there is the option of Simmons filling in at 9 in an emergency.
Which is where we would have been prop wise last season, until Wst came in initially as injury cover
apart from we had Leatigaga
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:00 pm
That is true but he was hardly over used
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:00 pm

that’s because we had West
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:20 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:00 pm apart from we had Leatigaga
that’s because we had West
And because he frankly wasn’t good enough. Both Cronin and Whitcombe were out for extended periods due to injury, and I think Leatigaga may have as well, so injury cover was required. At best Leatigaga was 4th choice loosehead a role which Richardson can now cove. All in my view of course