LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:04 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:08 pm Personally I think we're saving a bit of popcorn.

We announced Kata and Carter almost to offset the Potter news.

However for me I doubt we would have released Potter without Watson tied down.

I think he's all signed and sealed, just he may be the "champagne" highlight signing left so the plan is to have him with the academy promotions and the last one or two signings.

Look at how many weeks ago the Kata rumours surfaced that it was a done deal, I think the media team are just prepping all the releases.

My guess is that it'll be this week sometime.
Or perhaps someone else as a replacement for Potter. Fingers crossed you're right, I'd love to see Watson stay.
I just can't see us agreeing to an early release of Potter if it meant all our wingers from this season are gone. We surely want some continuity, so I would be amazed if we've signed anyone else at this point.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:16 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:04 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:08 pm Personally I think we're saving a bit of popcorn.

We announced Kata and Carter almost to offset the Potter news.

However for me I doubt we would have released Potter without Watson tied down.

I think he's all signed and sealed, just he may be the "champagne" highlight signing left so the plan is to have him with the academy promotions and the last one or two signings.

Look at how many weeks ago the Kata rumours surfaced that it was a done deal, I think the media team are just prepping all the releases.

My guess is that it'll be this week sometime.
Or perhaps someone else as a replacement for Potter. Fingers crossed you're right, I'd love to see Watson stay.
I just can't see us agreeing to an early release of Potter if it meant all our wingers from this season are gone. We surely want some continuity, so I would be amazed if we've signed anyone else at this point.
I can honestly
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I can't see us forcing a player to stay in contract and denying him the opportunity to return home and play for his country particularly if the move was at the end of a season. We bent over backwards to accommodate Toomua and Poleta-nau when they wanted to be involved in the last World Cup, Potter is in a similar situation our decision to release him I think is based on the players ambitions and is not connected to whether Watson stays or goes.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:56 am I can't see us forcing a player to stay in contract and denying him the opportunity to return home and play for his country particularly if the move was at the end of a season. We bent over backwards to accommodate Toomua and Poleta-nau when they wanted to be involved in the last World Cup, Potter is in a similar situation our decision to release him I think is based on the players ambitions and is not connected to whether Watson stays or goes.
Agree to an extent but it would release some cap to be able to offer Watson a better deal unless of course we are using it to sign someone else.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Gopperth off to Provence
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/westernforce/status ... YgmWw&s=19

Now official where Potter has gone to

EDIT: The full article on it says how he's also anticipating playing 13 a bit more
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Samhorace
Tiger Cub

Post by Samhorace »

He's going to prove a big loss.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He will be a lose but I do generally think wingers are the easiest to replace
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Samhorace wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:25 pm He's going to prove a big loss.
how are you going to measure that and what were your thoughts about him when he was signed by Tigers?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Difficult to say he’s a big loss when next season he wouldn’t even be in the starting 23.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Samhorace wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:25 pm He's going to prove a big loss.
I think it may depend on whether Watson stays. If he does I think Bassett in for Potter, I know that’s not how it was originally planned, is a decent swap. Depending on the progression of he likes of Cusick and Browning , we could possibly do with another winger, Watson, Bassett, Simmons, with cover of Kata and Porter does seem a bit light.

Edit: I forgot about OHC
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:22 pm Difficult to say he’s a big loss when next season he wouldn’t even be in the starting 23.
Only if Watson is staying otherwise he'd be on the right wing in the first choice XV. Few wingers chase kicks as well or as consistently as Potter, he's been excellent for us.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:17 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:22 pm Difficult to say he’s a big loss when next season he wouldn’t even be in the starting 23.
Only if Watson is staying otherwise he'd be on the right wing in the first choice XV. Few wingers chase kicks as well or as consistently as Potter, he's been excellent for us.
I'm not so sure he would have been Kata plays there, we could always go with Brown and Steward, its hard to tell especially with the HC we don't know how he likes to mix his back 3
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:25 pm
I'm not so sure he would have been Kata plays there, we could always go with Brown and Steward, its hard to tell especially with the HC we don't know how he likes to mix his back 3
I'm looking forward to seeing Kata play for us but I'm not sure he'd have got close to matching the work rate of Potter outside. We've generally used one wing as the workhorse and one wing as the strike runner. If we stay the same next season I'd have thought OHC and Kata will be vying for the strike runner option and then Bassett and Watson for the workhorse, Watson being so classy he can effectively do both at the same time.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Even without Watson I still wouldn’t have him in the 23.

Youngs, Pollard, OHC, Kelly, Scott, Kata, Steward
JVP, Shillcock, Porter