LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:38 am I was impressed by Atkinson from when he made his debut at 15 away to Bath. In my opinion he performed well when selected at 15 or at fly half although his kicking was not as consistent as Gopperth I felt he improved with game time, I am confident we have a good signing there. Shilcock.having seen him.play for both Worcester and Bath is another in the same.mould giving us good depth at both 10 and 15, I do not expect either player to be content to be cover off the bench and I do wonder if one of both of them can add another position to their skill set. World Cup returnees may have a challenge to regain their place in the team.
If you watch the interview with Mckellar that is exactly what he is looking for
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by sk 88 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:30 am
sk 88 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:21 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:02 pm
Atkinson is a good player and has the potential to be very good but needs a run of games.
Well he needs to EARN a run of games, and the best way to earn a run of games is by having some competition for his place to make sure he needs to play well so that he gives us a headache when Pollard returns from the RWC.
Not a fan then
I mean ....

I literally say he can give us a headache over selection with a brilliant world class player IF he plays well.

Lewis Chessum needs to earn a run of games by beating out the competition for his position, and if he plays well he can give us a headache when his brother gets fit & the others return from the RWC.

That's the exact same sentiment that would be viewed as a positive attitude of that young player!

There is no difference. Signing another option at fly half is only a positive for the club and for Atkinson himself. The WORST scenario for Atkinson would be us not signing anyone, him having some stinkers but having to continue with shredded confidence until Pollard was back & then being dropped for the rest of the season with us reluctant to use him.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:49 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:30 am
sk 88 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:21 am

Well he needs to EARN a run of games, and the best way to earn a run of games is by having some competition for his place to make sure he needs to play well so that he gives us a headache when Pollard returns from the RWC.
Not a fan then
I mean ....

I literally say he can give us a headache over selection with a brilliant world class player IF he plays well.

Lewis Chessum needs to earn a run of games by beating out the competition for his position, and if he plays well he can give us a headache when his brother gets fit & the others return from the RWC.

That's the exact same sentiment that would be viewed as a positive attitude of that young player!

There is no difference. Signing another option at fly half is only a positive for the club and for Atkinson himself. The WORST scenario for Atkinson would be us not signing anyone, him having some stinkers but having to continue with shredded confidence until Pollard was back & then being dropped for the rest of the season with us reluctant to use him.
Good points well made
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just seen some footage on social media showing Anthony Watson recent wedding.

Firstly congratulations secondly may explain no recent announcement regarding his future
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting Nottingham rugby new signing number 8 Richard Clift from Aus team Warringah rats.

In his Instagram post he says can’t wait to rip it up with Leicester tigers and Nottingham rugby
So guessing dual reg’d potentially.

English born as well, only 21

Shute Shield like Porter and Potter before him
https://youtu.be/5slq5Dp9-lA
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:41 pm Interesting Nottingham rugby new signing number 8 Richard Clift from Aus team Warringah rats.

In his Instagram post he says can’t wait to rip it up with Leicester tigers and Nottingham rugby

Great spot that RB

Here's the link to the Instagram post
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs-84maLOEm ... BiNWFlZA==
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:41 pm Interesting Nottingham rugby new signing number 8 Richard Clift from Aus team Warringah rats.

Looks like he can make some yards already, and he’s got one of the best in the game as a mentor.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Certainly plenty of pace and quite happy to truck it up from distance. Makes sense to have an arrangement with Nottingham given the cover we have at 8, Wiese, Cracknell, Hatherall, Ilione and keep an eye on his development
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Clift looks a prospect, maybe a little under weight for height and position certainly made ground ball in hand but not a lot of distribution. Time in the championship and training at Oval Park could produce another gem, I love this part of our club taking decent prospects and turning them.into great players.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Will Yarnell & Ronnie Du Randt formally of this parish have signed for Nottingham, wouldn't be surprised if Yarnell is seen in a Tigers shirt next season.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

OK, genuine question as I really don't know: say for arguments sake there are some players on Nottingham's books that train with us and we are closely involved with their development, are we then able to use those players in our team without that affecting our cap? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

fentiger wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:50 am OK, genuine question as I really don't know: say for arguments sake there are some players on Nottingham's books that train with us and we are closely involved with their development, are we then able to use those players in our team without that affecting our cap? :smt017
I dont think that Tigers would be able to play them in Premiership or European games without being included in the Salary cap.

The Premiership Cup may be different in that they could play in those games without inclusion in the salary cap -- I stand to be corrected
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

fentiger wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:50 am OK, genuine question as I really don't know: say for arguments sake there are some players on Nottingham's books that train with us and we are closely involved with their development, are we then able to use those players in our team without that affecting our cap? :smt017
So when we announced the strategic partnership it was stated that the clubs train together once a week I think. So all Nottingham players train with us.

How the salary cap counts is depending on who the parent club is how much each club pays towards each player, which competitions they are registered to play in

It may get even murkier this year with both us and Nottingham in the PRC together, so there may be none of our loanees playing for them in the PRC potentially
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Thanks, TB and TFS, murkier waters + Rugby, who'd of thought it :smt044
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:09 am
I dont think that Tigers would be able to play them in Premiership or European games without being included in the Salary cap.

The Premiership Cup may be different in that they could play in those games without inclusion in the salary cap -- I stand to be corrected
With the last released regs I went through properly (2021/22) if they played a senior game, including PRC, then any salary Tigers pay them comes under the cap. I'm not aware of changes. Then again I haven't actually seen a published 2022/23 regs in full as in previous years so would be grateful if anyone's aware of them being available?

Often when it comes dual-reg players in these scenarios they are young enough to fall under the academy cap - usually by design rather than luck! Plus wages for these players are so low, depressingly so in places, that the £100k academy cap is usually enough.

I'd be in favour of seeing that academy cap go up to try to keep players released by other academies in the system though. With the academies still producing talent but the flailing Premiership not fully utilising it I do worry if French clubs might start looking at players young enough to be JIFF. If the Top 14 and ProD2 keep flourishing then it will be small change to them realistically.

Important to note there that once you exclude salary for the 'home grown academy players' due to credits that the academy cap is basically used for players under 24-years-old on 1st September that season starts who didn't come through the clubs U18s. The regs are of course slightly more specific than 'come through the U18s' but for the vast majority of examples that's what it boils down to.