Fans leaving the sport - The State of the Game?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Fans leaving the sport - The State of the Game?

Post by ourla »

I've think I've read this type of comment.... "Woodburn sending off is yet another example of why so many seasoned supporters are turning away from the game".... numerous times over the years.

Is there any evidence for it?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Fans leaving the sport

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:10 am I've think I've read this type of comment.... "Woodburn sending off is yet another example of why so many seasoned supporters are turning away from the game".... numerous times over the years.

Doubt it.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:10 am I've think I've read this type of comment.... "Woodburn sending off is yet another example of why so many seasoned supporters are turning away from the game".... numerous times over the years.

I doubt it too. Might be a few of us old timers saying it wasn’t like that when I was playing.
Rugby supporters tend to be a loyal lot. It’s attracting new ones that is the issue.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It keeps being threatened, even on here! "I'm not watching this anymore." "Not the game I played and loved" etc. I must confess to the occasional harrumph. Generally, I suspect (and judging by the returnees here, or, should I say non-leavers) the cold light of the following day leaves the rugby addict wanting more.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am more than capable of the odd harumph about it not being like when I played but that has never stopped me watching the game however much I threaten. Actually quite glad that some of the health and safety issues that did not exist in the game when I played are now in place and it means that my nephew may not finish his playing days held together with string and electrical tape like I feel I am now.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It does make me roll my eyes.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Nobody would be up in arms if Woodburn had just got a yellow for the tackle on Ashton. Unfortunatley for him he'd already got a yellow for another cynical bit of play. Therefore second yellow = red. Unfortunate, but if he stops doing silly things he won't get carded!.....

Some of the straight reds for head contact I agree could be dealt with differently, as they ARE having an affect on games, but we need to remove the concussion issue as much as we can. That is being looked at by the powers that be though, so hopefully we'll stop getting so many sometime soon.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Reading on here the biggest gripe for many, young and old is the time decisions take to be made with countless replays slow motion etc. This is exacerbated by, as I understand it, the discussion between on field officials and TMO not being broadcast in the stadium, so on Sunday you had 20000 people not knowing what was going on.
I hope the new system of straight yellow, then reviewed in the background will get rid of a lot of this.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tigers gates are on the up are they not, no idea how season ticket sales are going.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Charles Richardson's written an excellent article in The Telegraph regarding a 2-week French rugby road trip.

Once thing English rugby would do well to emulate would be to have a fairly inflexible timetable so the fans can plan months ahead expecting the vast majority of their matches to be at, say, 3pm on a Saturday. Also interesting the background to the Sunday 9pm kick off, harsh on away fans but a very lucrative TV money-spinner.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This isn't true, most rugby fans will shrug, moan and then prepare for the next game. Trying to attract new fans to the game.....now that's a different problem.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The TV companies will know the number of subscribers and how many streams are activated via the BT Sport. I think Tigers gates are holding up but the extra capacity does mean the imperative to have a season ticket to secure access to games is less. It would be interesting to know the combined data but if someone is making the statement without it and a poll to find out the reason then it is just bull.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

The game has changed and with it the audience. Several posts on the Facebook pages bemoaning Woodburn's red and complaining about "Weaknesses in the laws".

So a player transgressed, gets carded for it so it's obviously the law that's wrong?

Much has been spoken about "allowing a flowing game" and I believe laws are being ignored to create a better spectacle for the audience. I've "gone on" about offside and forward passes being ignored as well as the perennial whinge about squint put ins and throws.

The game is not what it was. Values are different. (Have slipped) but I still watch......begrudgingly!

Oh......BTW.......Harrumph!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I think Ugo Monye had a good point on the BBC Rugby Pod that referees are being hung out to dry for correctly enforcing laws while the lawmakers who created these laws stay silent. His argument was the hierarchy need to take responsibility while supporting their refs. He suggested something along the lines of (not an exact quote) that …..we fully support ref x in his decision at x minute at x game. He correctly employed the laws and we support him fully. We note however that the outcome of this incident raises wider issues so will be engaging with all stakeholders to see if a further law change or clarification is required….

I tend to agree with him.
Last edited by aslongaswebeatsaints on Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:09 pm I think Ugo Monye had a good point on the BBC Rugby Pod that referees are being hung out to dry for correctly enforcing laws while the lawmakers who created these laws stay silent. His argument was the hierarchy need to take responsibility while supporting their refs. He suggested something along the lines of “we fully support ref x in his decision at x minute at x game. He correctly employed the laws and we support him fully. We note however that the outcome of this incident raises wider issues so will be engaging with all stakeholders to see if a further law change or clarification is required.

I tend to agree with him.
Nail hit on the head!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.