Chris Ashton

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Chris Ashton

Post by Robespierre »

I've just read that Chris Ashton is to retire at the end of the season.
If any player has an eye for the try line, he has to be up there with the best. For example, in 2017 while playing for Toulon, he scored 24 tries in a season of 23 matches, which is a record in France.
There were doubters when he signed for Leicester, knowing his mixed history with other clubs, but Borthwick had faith in his man and that faith has been surely repaid.
I wonder if Wigglesworth will give him the opportunity to reach 100 Premiership tries?
I hope he does.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Chris Ashton

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think he’ll play in the Saints games.
Unless 3rd place is tied down by Quins game, or we have a back 3 injury crisis I can’t see him playing
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:48 pm I think he’ll play in the Saints games.
Unless 3rd place is tied down by Quins game, or we have a back 3 injury crisis I can’t see him playing
I don't think it takes an injury crisis at all

Ahead of him in the back 3:
Steward
Watson
Brown
Potter

Simmons, Saumaki & Murimurivalu are all behind him.

Ok a centre may take the 23 shirt but there's a good chance with only one person having an issue that he makes a 23.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:39 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:48 pm I think he’ll play in the Saints games.

Steward
Watson
Brown
Potter

Ok a centre may take the 23 shirt but there's a good chance with only one person having an issue that he makes a 23.
Recent selection would indicate Simmons is ahead of him, but that’s personal opinion. Granted Saumaki and Murimurivalu won’t be risked in important games.
Scott could well be fit for the Quins game, so with Porter able to move out one, I would go for a bench of Youngs, Atkinson, Scott. All imo of course.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:44 pm

Steward
Watson
Brown
Potter

Recent selection would indicate Simmons is ahead of him, but that’s personal opinion. Granted Saumaki and Murimurivalu won’t be risked in important games.
Scott could well be fit for the Quins game, so with Porter able to move out one, I would go for a bench of Youngs, Atkinson, Scott. All imo of course.
I'm not sure Simmons has played ahead of Ashton, outside of when Ashton has been injured?

You may well be right, once Scott is back.

I however wouldn't be surprised if Ashton is starting vs Exeter if they want to rest Watson, post stinger.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If he can get match fit over the Saints games he's the type of big game player we might want in the 23 come the playoffs. He's been there done it and got the medals after all.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:49 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:44 pm

Steward
Watson
Brown
Potter

I'm not sure Simmons has played ahead of Ashton, outside of when Ashton has been injured?

You may well be right, once Scott is back.

I however wouldn't be surprised if Ashton is starting vs Exeter if they want to rest Watson, post stinger.
All good speculation to have.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

A true legend of the sport
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

+1 👍
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Like many I had my doubts about his signing, turned out to be a shrewd piece of business, good luck to him in retirement.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
PAW2
Tiger Cub

Post by PAW2 »

Whatever you think of Ashton, its hard to deny he is box office.

What chance that his final try defeats Saracens in the final? :smt023
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

KiwiTig wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:43 pm A true legend of the sport
If he is, I would be interested to know what Gareth Edwards, Barry John, Jonah Lomu amongst others are......
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Good player (sitting just above Tom Varndell) .. on account of an interesting record. He has certainly been a very handy one assumes good value for money player for us in this swansong he has had. He has also managed to recover his image as being a prize prat and come over as a reasonable bloke, and not the ridiculous big head that he had hitherto appeared to be.
All in all very good signing albeit short lived.
One thing he is not … is a legend! Apart from possibly in his own lunchtime, once upon a time!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Interesting how language changes over the years. Absolutely right he falls well short of legendary criteria, not one of the games greats, not even England.
In the modern vernacular the word legend means something very good or excellent, or so I’m told by the YOOFS.
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

Clearly the sensitivities of the occupants of ‘pedants’ corner’ have been ruffled. Ashton by the fact is the most profiling try scorer in the English game since it went professional - he is a very good player. This does not in any way undermine the status of former ( or current players), the facts speak for themselves. If we want to get picky about it perhaps we should limit expressions of admiration to people who really make a difference and with very, very few exceptions that would exclude all sports people.