Tigers v Exeter (H) - Sunday 16th April 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Exeter (H) - Sunday 16th April 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Right dust ourselves down, we're still well in the premiership so focus on that.

I know it's a Sunday game but I think the return to play protocols still mean Montoya is unlikely to be fit.

With us only having 3 fit 2nd rows I'd 100% rest one of them..

Porter if back comes in and Youngs too..

Not sure on Watson, any doube I'd rest him

Steward
Potter
Porter
Kelly
Simmons
Pollard
Youngs
West
Clare
Heyes
Martin
Snyman
Liebenberg
Cracknell
Wiese

Dolly
Cronin
Cole
Manz
Reffell
Van Poortvliet
Atkinson
Brown
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Exeter (H) - Sunday 16th April 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Tigers86asw »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:00 pm Right dust ourselves down, we're still well in the premiership so focus on that.

I know it's a Sunday game but I think the return to play protocols still mean Montoya is unlikely to be fit.

Steward
Potter
Porter
Kelly
Simmons
Pollard
Youngs
West
Clare
Heyes
Martin
Snyman
Liebenberg
Cracknell
Wiese

Dolly
Cronin
Cole
Manz
Reffell
Van Poortvliet
Atkinson
Brown
What’s the Montoya injury from today?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:39 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:00 pm Right dust ourselves down, we're still well in the premiership so focus on that.

Steward
Potter
Porter
Kelly
Simmons
Pollard
Youngs
West
Clare
Heyes
Martin
Snyman
Liebenberg
Cracknell
Wiese

Dolly
Cronin
Cole
Manz
Reffell
Van Poortvliet
Atkinson
Brown
Took a head knock and failed the HIA in game. Was picked up by the off field independent Dr. He looked miffed when he was hooked off - wouldn't have liked to have been the Dr telling him he wasn't going back on!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:39 am

Steward
Potter
Porter
Kelly
Simmons
Pollard
Youngs
West
Clare
Heyes
Martin
Snyman
Liebenberg
Cracknell
Wiese

Dolly
Cronin
Cole
Manz
Reffell
Van Poortvliet
Atkinson
Brown
Failed a HIA
Each step in return to play takes a minimum 24 hours.

Stage 1 - Initial Rest
Stage 2b (has to be symptom free) - Light aerobic exercise (15min max)
Stage 3 - sport specific exercise (running drills only)
Stage 4 - non contact training
Stage 5 - full contact training
Stage 6 - return to sport

Based on this even though he could be back inside a week, we can't have him training properly till the middle of next week, assuming he passes all the relevant tests at the absolute minimum time period.

As much as we want him back I can't see the club risking him going too quickly through the protocols to play in a match he won't have done all the training prep for.

If Exeter was must win then maybe he'd have played, as other league results went our way it's only really must win for a shot at a home SF.

I think they'll plan (as they can't ensure he'll pass protocols after 24 hours) for him to miss the game and he may be a bench reserve.

Clare & Dolly to play Exeter
Taufete'e & Vanes to play Saints on the Monday friendly

With us having a bye week then the Euro SF week off after we do have plenty of recovery time before Quins.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Playing on Sunday, the last game of the weekend, gives Tigers the advantage of knowing what they need to secure a play off spot. Northampton loss to Sarries should be enough.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The Gopperth/Scott combination in midfield was key to that run of wins that put us into the top 4. We couldn’t hope that Kelly would be a full speed last night, or expect Potter to dominate Ringrose and co. No matter how good you are, your communication needs to be 100% in defence, and it clearly wasn’t. Obviously more games = better cohesion. Let’s hope we can improve that for Chiefs. Montoya plays for me if he’s recovered. Best players on the field etc. I do like Charlie Clare, he’s a real character and you can see he’s a big voice in the huddles and around the field.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd be looking at trying to get some minutes into Nic Dolly from the bench. Clare is a reliable nuts and bolts hooker but his tackling of the maul and sin bin killed the game for us last night. Dolly offers more carrying and breakdown threat. That impact towards the end of the season could be very useful.

Dolly off the bench Vs Chiefs then to start the second game Vs Saints. Depending how he does Vs Chiefs he might be able to bench Vs Saints in the first game but probably not.

We do need some centres back fit. I'm hoping Cokanasiga, Woodward and Cusick all get game time over the Saints games. One of them showing signs they could step up might be really helpful at this rate.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:34 am Playing on Sunday, the last game of the weekend, gives Tigers the advantage of knowing what they need to secure a play off spot. Northampton loss to Sarries should be enough.
This is a good point, although team selection is made before then. I guess they could do what Cockers did with Manu and name him but do a last minute team change or vice Versa…!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:26 am
We do need some centres back fit. I'm hoping Cokanasiga, Woodward and Cusick all get game time over the Saints games. One of them showing signs they could step up might be really helpful at this rate.
I agree here. Hoping for something like this for the Saints game:

Walsh
Browning
Cokanasiga
Woodward
Saumaki
Meredith
Edwards
Jansen
Ilione (C)
Carnduff
L Chessum
Carmichael (if Manz as suggested by TFS is in vs Chiefs)
Hurd
Vanes
Richardson

Taufete’e
Miell
Hoyt
Carnduff
J Manz
Whiteley
Cusick
Murimurivalu
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Can see Chiefs picking up a few injuries today playing against a South African side.
A2O
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:59 am Can see Chiefs picking up a few injuries today playing against a South African side.
See earlier comment. I wish them every success. (After extra time and a penalty shoot out.)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Go as strong as possible. 2 weeks off after this before Quins. If Montoya not fit start with Dolly as needs some game time.

Unsure why people are going on about Wells and Green. Ok not ideal with Chessum injury, but Martin is the form lock in the premiership at the moment and is ably supported by Henderson and Snyman
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Two games left surely Tigers have to select the strongest side. Win and that should be top 4 sealed. Reffell could then be rested v Quins but that would cost us the way they will play.
Watson could be out but Simmons is good as a replacement: from has been said sadly Scott, Porter not likely to be fit but Goppeth was missed last night: and credit to him and Brown they are in far better shape than our younger players.
Locks injured: Wells could be back for the bench but a member of staff at the ground last week said more likely Quins. Green out for the season. Youngs: no idea. Waiting for scans.
Ilione deserves a go from the bench.
Exeter are the opposite of us and have players coming back from injury.
Simply: we just need to win ugly.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

:smt016
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:51 pm Go as strong as possible. 2 weeks off after this before Quins. If Montoya not fit start with Dolly as needs some game time.

Unsure why people are going on about Wells and Green. Ok not ideal with Chessum injury, but Martin is the form lock in the premiership at the moment and is ably supported by Henderson and Snyman
To win a premiership you need strength in depth we cannot field our best XV every game so having a fit Green and Wells is massive
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Latest news from social media is that Porter will be fit.
If that is the case then if we are to go further than the semi we need midfield of Pollard, Kelly and Porter firing with game time