Tigers v Exeter (H) - Sunday 16th April 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Exeter (H) - Sunday 16th April 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:32 pm Just got back. The Woodburn incident summed up Dickson’s performance.
I was at the end where it happened: Ashton placed the ball before he went into touch. Obviously I’ve not seen the replays on TV but Woodburn was given a second yellow, clearly shown by Dickson so it had to be a red. Until that moment Exeter had( like we used to with Backy and Johnno) played the ref better than us but Montoya respectfully kept talking to Sir whereas some of the Exeter lads started moaning at the officials!
As for the game: Pollard, despite a couple of errors is so calm and what a tackler.
Kelly looked class because the hugely underrated Scott was alongside him.
Steward great under the high ball but needs to learn from Mike Brown on how to attack.
All the forwards were immense: Martin and Henderson developing in pot a fearsome duo.
And, Wigglesworth, what a great coach. My wife and I always stood up for him when so many doubted. To turn this club around after the Borthwick debarcle is incredible. Shame we didn’t realise what a talented coach he was when he first took over: England’s huge gain when he leaves us.
Finally: well done to all of us who turned up to make some great noise.
Come back to us about the double yellow when you’ve seen the replay because Dickson was spot on and Ashton toe caught the line before he grounded the ball.
No a popular view but Dickson had a decent game there was one penalty he gave against Watson for hands on the floor before the jackal. Replay showed it was the right call despite all the experts on the Crumbie terrace
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

What surprised me was how often we challenged their lineout in comparison to them competing on our ball.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Only thing to add to the comments was that Martin was immense today (Closely followed by Henderson). For me, Martin is playing more and more like Courtney Lawes. And is getting better game by game. He must be due a place on the England Squad surely?

Also, a shout out for Scott. I am not sure Leinster would have torn through us in the centres like they did if either Porter or Scott (especially Scott) had been fit.

On a separate note, taking my Tigers tinted glasses off I thought that red card incident was quite frankly bizarre.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A more pragmatic approach from the ref might have been to take the skippers aside.

There are 2 outcomes:

I decide I am unsure the foot was in touch and award the try. (At Welford Road we seem to not get a very low angle and as such an element of uncertainty remains)
Or if it was in touch it I would have to consider a penalty try for a technical offence to prevent a try (diving on a player on the ground) and with it the sanction of a yellow card.
As I am uncertain of the foot being in touch, that is the reason for awarding the try.

Neither of Woodburn’s Cards were for dangerous or even reckless play and the red seemed ridiculously harsh.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Is that us through to the semis? Irish can score a max of 61 so could over take us but we’d still be 4th as Saints only have 5 posible points left and the points difference is huge
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

mol2 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:02 pm A more pragmatic approach from the ref might have been to take the skippers aside.

There are 2 outcomes:

I decide I am unsure the foot was in touch and award the try. (At Welford Road we seem to not get a very low angle and as such an element of uncertainty remains)
Or if it was in touch it I would have to consider a penalty try for a technical offence to prevent a try (diving on a player on the ground) and with it the sanction of a yellow card.
As I am uncertain of the foot being in touch, that is the reason for awarding the try.

Neither of Woodburn’s Cards were for dangerous or even reckless play and the red seemed ridiculously harsh.
Two yellows means a red card…..so not harsh or ridiculous. He came in from the side and prevented the try from being scored…..penalty try and yellow card
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:05 pm Is that us through to the semis? Irish can score a max of 61 so could over take us but we’d still be 4th as Saints only have 5 posible points left and the points difference is huge
Mathematically no, but very probable as do not see Tigers getting badly beat and Saints winning by a high margin to wipe out the points difference.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:06 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:02 pm A more pragmatic approach from the ref might have been to take the skippers aside.

There are 2 outcomes:

Two yellows means a red card…..so not harsh or ridiculous. He came in from the side and prevented the try from being scored…..penalty try and yellow card
There was an Exeter fan standing near us who was gob smacked by it all and spent the next 20 minutes or so debating with those around him about the decision. Was quite amusing.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tigers were going wide and trying to get the wingers in for tries. One of the defending side in this critical area has a yellow card against him. Thus if he transgresses again, he's off.

A smart coach may have felt the need for a substitute.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

There are 2 outcomes:

But the replays clearly showed his boot touching the line. Distinctive boots so no question, so no option
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:07 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:05 pm Is that us through to the semis? Irish can score a max of 61 so could over take us but we’d still be 4th as Saints only have 5 posible points left and the points difference is huge
Mathematically no, but very probable as do not see Tigers getting badly beat and Saints winning by a high margin to wipe out the points difference.

There would have to be 125 point swing, no?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

There would have to be over a 100 point swing in the Quins game for us not to be in top 4. Obviously 3rd would be better and 2nd is still mathematically possible
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:15 pm

There would have to be 125 point swing, no?
Exactly… so I would suggest we are safe. But agreed that 3rd better (or 2nd)
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

This won't be a popular stance but I'm going to stand up for Karl D. See the laws of the game:

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/14

Section 8 deals with the tackler(s). Correctly applied by KD in my opinion but it is harsh compared to other offenses that only receive a yellow card. CA being so close to scoring anyway made it a certain PT once deemed a penalty offense. AS others have said, it compounded his first yellow.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not a jock wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:28 pm This won't be a popular stance but I'm going to stand up for Karl D. See the laws of the game:

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/14

Section 8 deals with the tackler(s). Correctly applied by KD in my opinion but it is harsh compared to other offenses that only receive a yellow card. CA being so close to scoring anyway made it a certain PT once deemed a penalty offense. AS others have said, it compounded his first yellow.
I agree with you and let’s not forget the red was because it was his second yellow, it wasn’t a straight red