Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07th April 2023 - KO 8:00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashurstwoodtiger

Re: Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07-09th April 2023 TBC

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Rugbygramps guess will have to wait and see. Cannot find anything useful on ERCC site apart from date.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:19 pm Rugbygramps guess will have to wait and see. Cannot find anything useful on ERCC site apart from date.
It’s dependent on who is the highest seed from the group stage in each game. So if Leinster keep winning they will stay in Dublin as they were number 1 seeds, same with La Rochelle in France I think.

A bit of guess work here, but I think if we beat Leinster we would play the winners of the Exeter v Stormers game, and whoever won that would be the home seed
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

"The referee is always right, even when he is wrong!", says an extremely frustrated and confused Philippe Saint André, the Montpellier head coach.
I didn't see the match but with apparently three disallowed tries and what may have been an unjust red card, the match could easily have swung in Montpellier's favour.

Saint André is also questioning the wisdom of lengthy return flights far on the other side of the equator for matches sometimes at altitude, which clearly begs the question of the validity of the South African sides being included in the Champions' Cup.
Whatever, the United Rugby Championship with the SA teams is probably here to stay as is their inclusion in "our" European Cup.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:26 pm "The referee is always right, even when he is wrong!", says an extremely frustrated and confused Philippe Saint André, the Montpellier head coach.
I didn't see the match but with apparently three disallowed tries and what may have been an unjust red card, the match could easily have swung in Montpellier's favour.

Saint André is also questioning the wisdom of lengthy return flights far on the other side of the equator for matches sometimes at altitude, which clearly begs the question of the validity of the South African sides being included in the Champions' Cup.
Whatever, the United Rugby Championship with the SA teams is probably here to stay as is their inclusion in "our" European Cup.
TBH all the 3 tries were disallowed with valid reasons, 2 were held up, one because Stooke clumsily took out a defender to make a gap. The red card was debatable at best, it seemed there were mitigating factors, but what did for Mercer was that he drove up in the tackle.
Totally agree about the South African sides but as you say they are here to stay.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agree with lots of fans from Premiership teams and don’t agree South African sides should be in this European Champions’ Cup. Glad we haven’t had to play them but probably will next season.
Again think rugby doesn’t learn: Friday night away games for us and Sarries so very difficult to get too.
Sarries look like they have the luck and skill to do well next weekend as they have got an almost fully fit squad to choose from.
Leinster by far the most consistent side. Toulouse typically French where on their day they can look awesome.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:25 pm
Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:19 pm Rugbygramps guess will have to wait and see. Cannot find anything useful on ERCC site apart from date.
It’s dependent on who is the highest seed from the group stage in each game. So if Leinster keep winning they will stay in Dublin as they were number 1 seeds, same with La Rochelle in France I think.

A bit of guess work here, but I think if we beat Leinster we would play the winners of the Exeter v Stormers game, and whoever won that would be the home seed
https://twitter.com/ChampionsCup/status ... Z2E3A&s=19

No if we get through Semifinal will be vs Toulouse OR Sharks...

Note it's "home country" advantage not home advantage so likely France.

Also I've seen the info suggesting that South Africa wouldn’t play at home, but I can't see anything saying that in the rules about that. I saw the same rumours that they wouldn’t be at home in any of the knockouts so I think it may still end up being in South Africa if it's us vs Sharks...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Re: Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07th April 2023 - KO 8:00pm

Post by Tigerbeat »

The Semi Finals will not be played in South Africa should a SA team get through. The semis will be played in Europe….saw that in the rules.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:10 pm

Also I've seen the info suggesting that South Africa wouldn’t play at home, but I can't see anything saying that in the rules about that. I saw the same rumours that they wouldn’t be at home in any of the knockouts so I think it may still end up being in South Africa if it's us vs Sharks...
Nope, I'm wrong... says the Semifinal will be in Europe

Extract from the rules
Semi-finals
2.8 The semi-finals will be played in Europe and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home country advantage.
SF 1: Winner QF 1 v Winner QF 2
SF 2: Winner QF 3 v Winner QF 4
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:10 pm

Thanks TFS as mentioned in other posts it was part of the agreement admitting South African sides that the semifinal wouldn’t be played down there.
If either of them do qualify I think a reasonable guess is they would choose London where there is a sizeable Bok population
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07th April 2023 - KO 8:00pm

Post by Big Dai »

We've a South African fly half. What's he like at dropping the odd goal? Play in their half. Kick your points. Drop when in range. I remember Mr DeBeer doing this to England years back. Boring but effective.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

According to French site Rugbyrama, these are the dates and times (UKtime)of the Quarter finals:

Leinster - Leicester (7 April : 21h, l'Aviva Stadium de Dublin)

Toulouse - Sharks (8 April : 16h, au stade Ernest-Wallon de Toulouse)

Exeter - Stormers (8 April : 18h30, au Sandy Park d'Exeter)

La Rochelle - Saracens (9 April : 16h, au stade Marcel-Deflandre de La Rochelle)
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:48 pm According to French site Rugbyrama, these are the dates and times (UKtime)of the Quarter finals:

Leinster - Leicester (7 April : 21h, l'Aviva Stadium de Dublin)

Toulouse - Sharks (8 April : 16h, au stade Ernest-Wallon de Toulouse)

Exeter - Stormers (8 April : 18h30, au Sandy Park d'Exeter)

La Rochelle - Saracens (9 April : 16h, au stade Marcel-Deflandre de La Rochelle)
Not sure ROBES I think those times don’t take BST into account, and should read an hour earlier for this side of the pond.

Edit according to Premiership Rugby Instagram the kick off times BST are 8pm, 4pm, 5.30 pm , 4pm respectively.
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:51 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:48 pm According to French site Rugbyrama, these are the dates and times (UKtime)of the Quarter finals:

Leinster - Leicester (7 April : 20h, l'Aviva Stadium de Dublin)

Toulouse - Sharks (8 April : 15h, au stade Ernest-Wallon de Toulouse)

Exeter - Stormers (8 April : 18730, au Sandy Park d'Exeter)

La Rochelle - Saracens (9 April : 15h, au stade Marcel-Deflandre de La Rochelle)
Not sure ROBES I think those times don’t take BST into account, and should read an hour earlier for this side of the pond.
Cheers RG! Corrected!!!!!
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

What do forum members think of the information that Leinster are selling tickets in an "away section"?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I'm hoping for the following teams in the semis:

Leicester
Toulouse
Stormers
La Rochelle
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!