Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07th April 2023 - KO 8:00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Big underdogs but we're on a roll. I think we can do it...

Steward
Potter
Porter (I think he'll play)
Kelly
Watson
Pollard
Van Poortvliet
Cronin
Montoya
Cole
Martin
Henderson
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Clare/Dolly
West
Heyes
Snyman
Cracknell
Wolstenholme
Atkinson
Brown

Harsh on Gopperth, but with Pollard able to play 12 I'd be more comfortable with Brown on the bench.. tbh let's sneak Brown onto the pitch see if they notice we have 16.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leinster v Leicester 1/4 Final

Post by RagingBull »

I would have Gopperth bench over Atkinson.
I feel like the game will be close or out of sight.

Gopperth has played excellently so far and his control could help see out a close game, but if we are getting pasted then not even Atkinson would help drag us back up I feel.

Honestly would be tempted to start Brown and have Steward on the wing with Watson.
Potter bench covering 13.

It's a big game and Brown IMO is a big game player who is playing like he has nothing to lose.
Worry might be Stewards positioning but Brown can help guide him.

I really hope Youngs can start though
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:41 pm I would have Gopperth bench over Atkinson.

Gopperth has played excellently so far and his control could help see out a close game, but if we are getting pasted then not even Atkinson would help drag us back up I feel.

Honestly would be tempted to start Brown and have Steward on the wing with Watson.

It's a big game and Brown IMO is a big game player who is playing like he has nothing to lose.

Wigglesworth's suggestion that Youngs injury is still being assesed yesterday means I'm very doubtful that he'll be available next weekend.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:45 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:41 pm I would have Gopperth bench over Atkinson.

Wigglesworth's suggestion that Youngs injury is still being assesed yesterday means I'm very doubtful that he'll be available next weekend.
Guess depends on the injury, did he say what it is?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (A) - Champion Cup - Qtr Final - 07-09th April 2023 TBC

Post by Old Hob »

Man of the match today for Leinster was Conan; has he played for the Barbarians? :smt002

Seriously, a tough ask next week, evening game away from home against Ireland.. but, it's knockout rugby.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:47 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:45 pm

Guess depends on the injury, did he say what it is?
All I know is this

https://twitter.com/wiffen_john/status/ ... 7Ru9Q&s=19
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Free hit go strong hopefully not pick up any injuries. I wonder if it might be a plan to play Cracknell at 7 to try and mitigate some of Van de Flier physicality.
Nothing to lose and they have to lose sometime
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:02 pm Free hit go strong hopefully not pick up any injuries. I wonder if it might be a plan to play Cracknell at 7 to try and mitigate some of Van de Flier physicality.
Nothing to loose and they have to loose sometime
I think stats showed they had lost 1, can we make them lose and make that 2. Going to be very very difficult but we are on a roll.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Nothing to lose, and anything can happen, so let's give it our all! :smt027
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:07 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:02 pm Free hit go strong hopefully not pick up any injuries. I wonder if it might be a plan to play Cracknell at 7 to try and mitigate some of Van de Flier physicality.
Nothing to lose and they have to lose sometime
I think stats showed they had lost 1, can we make them lose and make that 2. Going to be very very difficult but we are on a roll.
Drew last week but haven’t lost any
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Bit out of left field but Brown into the 11 shirt? Go back to the game plan allowing the left wing roam in attack and come into the line. Could add an element of unpredictability to the attack.

Cracknell got treatment twice before half time last night. His substitution might not have been purely tactical.

I'm a little bit against Gopperth over Atkinson on the bench purely because what happens if Pollard is forced off after 5 mins? Gopperth has been playing well at 12 but I don't think he's got the creative skills to break down the Leinster defence from 10 these days.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:39 pm Bit out of left field but Brown into the 11 shirt? Go back to the game plan allowing the left wing roam in attack and come into the line. Could add an element of unpredictability to the attack.

Cracknell got treatment twice before half time last night. His substitution might not have been purely tactical.

I'm a little bit against Gopperth over Atkinson on the bench purely because what happens if Pollard is forced off after 5 mins? Gopperth has been playing well at 12 but I don't think he's got the creative skills to break down the Leinster defence from 10 these days.
If we play Kelly, given he is back from injury etc, it would be prudent to have cover for centre on the bench because he won’t likely last the 80. That makes it more complicated and would require a 5/3 split with Scott, Youngs and Atkinson covering the backs.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

What share of proceeds will Tigers get from this fixture ? Hopefully will be a few quid given the size of their stadium and likely gate.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:40 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:39 pm Bit out of left field but Brown into the 11 shirt? Go back to the game plan allowing the left wing roam in attack and come into the line. Could add an element of unpredictability to the attack.

If we play Kelly, given he is back from injury etc, it would be prudent to have cover for centre on the bench because he won’t likely last the 80. That makes it more complicated and would require a 5/3 split with Scott, Youngs and Atkinson covering the backs.
Atkinson or Pollard at 12 would work or even a combination of the two switching position between attack and defence. Atkinson tackles well above the level of a normal 10 and Pollard is built like a flanker.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I don't give us a prayer next week.l realy don't.

We'll have the Irish squad, the crowd and Sir against us.

.........but I remember a night a Thomund Park!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"