Financial woes - Newcastle & London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Financial woes - Newcastle & London Irish

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:11 pm Losing Falcons would be a huge blow for the sport in that area of the country, though they have never been the same since Sir John Hall and Rob Andrew.
The irony being Sir John Hall was one of the first big money owners who flashed a significant amount of money to get players to come to Newcastle as the game went pro.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Do people think this can be solved by the clubs and Prem rugby without the RFU having to get involved? If not then the arguments for central contracts will only intensify if the RFU have to take an active role in the organisation and running of the Prem.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:13 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:11 pm Losing Falcons would be a huge blow for the sport in that area of the country, though they have never been the same since Sir John Hall and Rob Andrew.
The irony being Sir John Hall was one of the first big money owners who flashed a significant amount of money to get players to come to Newcastle as the game went pro.
Quite correct. I remember a story about how he was building some new houses on part of his estate and provided Sir Jonny of Wilkinson with a 5 bed executive dwelling.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:16 pm Do people think this can be solved by the clubs and Prem rugby without the RFU having to get involved? If not then the arguments for central contracts will only intensify if the RFU have to take an active role in the organisation and running of the Prem.
One would hope so although they are responsible for the management of the whole game. As a slight aside I noticed a comment from Mike Brown saying that maybe central contracts should be investigated further.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Regarding Falcons, Mark Smith, Falcons Media Manager states on rugby network:

"No truth whatsoever in it.

As we told the journo yesterday, who, for reasons I will never understand, still ran the story.

Complete fiction."

Irish it seems just need their takeover to happen.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

That's me trying to be positive, it doesn't necessarily mean there are no problems at all.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

wigworth wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:16 pm Do people think this can be solved by the clubs and Prem rugby without the RFU having to get involved? If not then the arguments for central contracts will only intensify if the RFU have to take an active role in the organisation and running of the Prem.
The problem is, the clubs are effectively Prem Rugby.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Irish are apparently very close to a takeover by a US group.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -week.html

Seems the funds for paying this months wages will be coming from their planned new owners so it may be down to the wire.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Old Hob »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:42 am

Random question then, playing devils advocate... IF London Irish go into administration, and their results get wiped.

For example we've got 9 points from our two matches against them, many of our playoff rivals have done worse than us...
This really is a dilemma particularly for the future. We would lose 9 points and our points difference would be negatively affected; on the other hand, a team that lost twice to them would lose nothing and have their points difference positively affected.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I expect, this late in the season, they’d issue 4 point wins to the remaining fixtures rather than remove results.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

As someone on here once told me.....this is "Ruck" reporting this.....isn't it?

The problem is with the gutter press they will chuck enough mud until it sticks and it all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Just like the Salem witch hunts. Get enough people screaming hysterics and down the pan we go.

Makes my blood boil it does.

..........game should NEVER have gone professional. A great sport totally ruined.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

From what I’ve read in various papers etc London Irish should be ok as a buyer is there but the dotting of the i s and crossing of T’s is taking some time to do. However, they are struggling due to poor gates, yet only on Sunday they were the one club that said they would spend up to the increased salary cap next season!
Newcastle did make a profit last year and the wins they’ve had against top side, including us, has been remarkable. It’s one of my favourite away grounds but except for when they play us they rarely get decent attendances. The fans they have are loyal and some of the most fait minded you will find.
Good luck to both clubs and let’s not forget Tigers are struggling too and that’s why it’s surprising supporters aren’t turning up v Edinburgh! The ticket prices are very reasonable for a top European clash where 10 current Scottish internationals will be trying to defeat “ the old English enemy!”
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Falcons having always cut their cloth accordingly and fair play to them. Only based on what I've seen on TV but their ground has looked fuller this season, theore positive rugby under Walder and some big home wins have helped that along. They've already come out and slammed the garbage being reported about them, apparently the journo approached them and they said none of it was true and asked for it to be kept out the papers. The journo just ran the article saying they denied it with the clickbait media then jumping on it.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:02 pm From what I’ve read in various papers etc London Irish should be ok as a buyer is there but the dotting of the i s and crossing of T’s is taking some time to do. However, they are struggling due to poor gates, yet only on Sunday they were the one club that said they would spend up to the increased salary cap next season!
Newcastle did make a profit last year and the wins they’ve had against top side, including us, has been remarkable. It’s one of my favourite away grounds but except for when they play us they rarely get decent attendances. The fans they have are loyal and some of the most fait minded you will find.
Good luck to both clubs and let’s not forget Tigers are struggling too and that’s why it’s surprising supporters aren’t turning up v Edinburgh! The ticket prices are very reasonable for a top European clash where 10 current Scottish internationals will be trying to defeat “ the old English enemy!”
I hadn't heard that fans were not turning up tomorrow. Where has this been reported? I hope they do as it could be a cracking night.
As Good As It Gets