Women's Six Nations 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Women's Six Nations 2023

Post by Darc Tiger »

England side for the big one at Twickenham! Over 53000 tickets sold! Simon Middleton's last game at the helm.

15. Ellie Kildunne
14. Abby Dow
13. Helena Rowland
12. Tatyana Heard
11. Claudia MacDonald
10. Holly Aitchison
9. Lucy Packer
1. Hannah Botterman
2. Lark Davies
3. Sarah Bern
4. Zoe Aldcroft (VC)
5. Sarah Beckett
6. Sadia Kabeya
7. Marlie Packer (C)
8. Alex Matthews

16. Connie Powell
17. Mackenzie Carson
18. Maud Muir
19. Poppy Cleall
20. Morwenna Talling
21. Natasha Hunt
22. Amber Reed
23. Jess Breach

Some relief for England, as Marlie Packer and Hannah Botterman recover from knocks taken last week to start. Helena Rowland starts in a somewhat unfamiliar 13 role, but gives them a frontline kicking option that they've missed this tournament. Poppy Cleall also returns from injury in a strong bench.

England will hope they've got their worst performance behind them with the Ireland game at the weekend. Can't afford to be that sloppy and wasteful.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I did wonder what had to Cleall. She is a real unit in the male vernacular
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

France team to play England:
15 Emilie Boulard, 14 Cyrielle Banet, 13 Marine Ménager, 12 Gabrielle Vernier, 11 Melissande Llorens, 10 Jessy Trémoulière, 9 Pauline Bourdon; 1 Yllana Brosseau, 2 Agathe Sochat, 3 Rose Bernadou, 4 Manaé Feleu, 5 Audrey Forlani (capt), 6 Axelle Berthoumieu, 7 Gaëlle Hermet, 8 Charlotte Escudero

Replacements: 16 Elisa Riffonneau, 17 Ambre Mwayembe, 18 Assia Khalfaoui, 19 Romane Ménager, 20 Emeline Gros, 21 Alexandra Chambon, 22 Carla Arbez, 23 Maëlle Filopon

Women's rugby legend Jessy Trémoulière starts at 10 in her final match before retirement, and Pauline Bourdon recovers from injury to form a very quality halfback pairing. Rose Bernadou gets a first start of the tournament at tighthead, and Axelle Berthoumieu is chosen ahead of Romane Ménager.

Like England, France didn't have it all their own way last week, with Wales putting up a stern fight in the 2nd half to keep the scoreline respectable.

Weather looks like it'll stay dry. Everything is set for a record-breaking encounter!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Plenty to play for in the other two matches on Super Saturday, following the big dance at Twickenham, with placements for the WXV tournament a big focus. Wales are favourites for 3rd place and a spot in WXV1. 4th place will go into WXV2, whilst 5th place will mean a playoff with Spain for a WXV2 spot. Ireland need a big win and results to fall their way to avoid ending up in WXV3.

Italy vs Wales: https://womens.sixnationsrugby.com/prev ... ales#teams

Italy have disappointed somewhat, after a successful 2022 and WC campaign. Whilst they can light it up in attack when it all comes together, they've looked a bit under-powered, particularly in the tight 5. I think this will play into Wales' strengths, and should see them wrap up 3rd place, as they revert to their first choice starting pack. But if Italy can hold Wales up front, they've got the weapons to win it.

Scotland vs Ireland: https://womens.sixnationsrugby.com/prev ... land#teams

Another attendance record is set to be broken here, and both sides are pretty much unchanged. Highly rated centre Emma Orr is back at 13 for Scotland, who finally got the monkey off their back last week, out-muscled Italy and overcoming a 2nd half wobble to eventually pick up their first win in 12. I think they have improved this year, and hopefully that win will give them the confidence to progress further. Although Ireland did manage to somewhat spoil England's flow last week, they still seem like the team with the most catching up to do. They'll need their best performance for some time to avoid the wooden spoon, and show some teeth that they just haven't had all tournament.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Thanks for your posts on this Darc Tiger.
I hope all of us who are English will get behind the girls today (1pm KO BBC2), they are a great team and a credit to rugby union.
The French are good too, so it's all set for a feisty and bruising encounter!!

Come on England!!
Soggypitch
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:29 am Thanks for your posts on this Darc Tiger.
I hope all of us who are English will get behind the girls today (1pm KO BBC2), they are a great team and a credit to rugby union.
The French are good too, so it's all set for a feisty and bruising encounter!!

Come on England!!
Cheers! I'm on the bus to the game. Lovely weather. Both teams have been looking to play ball this tournament, so it could be a cracker!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

After defending for 15 minutes England go in at half time 33-0 up
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Took 20 minutes to get out of our 22, but wow, England bossed that 2nd quarter!

Great power, lines and offloads from the pack. Marshalled by Lucy Packer.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Rugby is such a simple game when played like that
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:16 pm Rugby is such a simple game when played like that
I don't know what can (or if anything should be) be done to change it but the kicking aspect of the game is so much more oppressive in the men's game vs the women's, if they want to encourage more attacking rugby this is the aspect I would look at.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:24 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:16 pm Rugby is such a simple game when played like that
I don't know what can (or if anything should be) be done to change it but the kicking aspect of the game is so much more oppressive in the men's game vs the women's, if they want to encourage more attacking rugby this is the aspect I would look at.
I think that is more to do with the ladies ability and power with the boot, though I agree with your point
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Real game of two halves. France stepped it up well, and England a little too relaxed with the first half lead. Did enough though. Good sign-off for Midds and Bemand.

Great day out. Perfect conditions. 58.5k the official figure. Loads of women and kids. Big success for the RFU.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

What's happened to Emily, is she injured or now not good enough, she is an excellent goal kicker.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:35 pm What's happened to Emily, is she injured or now not good enough, she is an excellent goal kicker.
Hasn’t she retired ?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:18 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:35 pm What's happened to Emily, is she injured or now not good enough, she is an excellent goal kicker.
Hasn’t she retired ?
No. She got a neck injury, and took the opportunity to have surgery on her troublesome ankle. She might be back for the autumn tests.