Women's Six Nations 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Women's Six Nations 2023

Post by Darc Tiger »

As one tournament comes to an end, another is just about to start, and after the big success of last year's tournament, its all set to raise the bar again for women's rugby!

England and France are still expected to be well clear of the rest, but every Union is now offering some form of professional contracts to their players, so hopefully we will start to see that gap closing. Competition between the other 4 nations should be fierce.

All roads lead to what should be another blockbuster clash between England and France at Twickenham, the first standalone Red Roses match at HQ, in front of what could be a new world record attendance!

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Women's Six Nations 2023

Post by Darc Tiger »

England captain Sarah Hunter has announced that Saturday's match will be her last.

With 141 caps, she'll bow out against Scotland (in her home town) in front of a sold out Kingston Park.

The most capped England international, the most capped women's international, and the joint 5th most capped player ever. World Player of the Year 2016, 10 Six Nations titles, World Cup winner in 2014. A true legend of the game.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I see that the women get 1 'rest' week compared to 2 for the men.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:51 am I see that the women get 1 'rest' week compared to 2 for the men.
They have a less demanding calendar, I suppose.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Red Roses squad for Saturday's match with Scotland has been named.

15. Abby Dow
14. Jess Breach
13. Lagi Tuima
12. Amber Reed
11. Claudia MacDonald
10. Holly Aitchison
9. Lucy Packer
1. Mackenzie Carson
2. Amy Cokayne
3. Sarah Bern
4. Zoe Aldcroft
5. Poppy Cleall
6. Sadia Kabeya
7. Marlie Packer (CC)
8. Sarah Hunter (CC)

16. Lark Davies
17. Liz Crake
18. Kelsey Clifford
19. Catherine O'Donnell
20. Sarah Beckett
21. Ella Wyrwas
22. Tatyana Heard
23. Emma Sing

Plenty of enforced changes, due to an ever-growing injury list. Most notably Holly Aitchison is having to fill in at 10, with Harrison and Rowland injured. No Scaz either, so Amber Reed and Lagi Tuima find themselves back in the fold.

Sarries prop Mackenzie Carson switches allegiance from Canada to make a surprise debut at loosehead, and 3 more debutants on the bench in Crake, Clifford and Wyrwas.
Last edited by Darc Tiger on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I might watch this, didn't bother with the men's.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Scotland team news: https://scottishrugby.org/fanzone/previ ... -scotland/

Scotland will be desperate to pick up some wins this tournament, having lost so many close games in the last year. They're missing a few big names up front, and have a pretty green set of three-quarters, but there's reason to be optimistic with their three homes games all against the teams they will believe they can beat. If they can get the ball rolling, and bag that all-important win in round 2 against Wales, 3rd place could be on.

Wales vs Ireland team news: https://womens.sixnationsrugby.com/prev ... d/#preview

Wales will be hoping the women's side will be able to bring a bit of light to Welsh rugby, now that their pro contracts have bedded in, and off the back of a decent World Cup performance. Its a relatively settled squad, and with a sizeable contingent from Prem15s pace-setters Gloucester-Hartpury, they'll be hoping to steal a march on the chasing pack. Though their schedule is pretty tricky.

Ireland are in a bit of tough spot. Professional contracts have rolled out, though multiple stars opted out in favour of keeping a place in the Prem15s, and they'll be without some of their best backs due to 7s commitments. They're also the only team to miss out on the World Cup, and with a relatively inexperienced squad, its possible that will count against them. But the Irish side are coming in off the back of winning the inaugural Celtic Challenge, ahead of Welsh and Scottish XVs. With their only home games against England and France, they'll be desperate to get off to a good start away in Cardiff.

Italy vs France team news: https://womens.sixnationsrugby.com/2023 ... -v-france/

After an encouraging World Cup campaign, and a highest ever ranking of 5th, Italy will be feeling pretty good heading into this tournament. Despite a couple of retirements, they're relatively settled, and new coach Giovanni Raineri will be hoping to build on the success and establish Italy as the leaders of the chasing pack. They face a tough start against France and England, but could mount a charge in the later rounds.

Whilst England seem to be holding off on their transition period to a degree, France have jumped into theirs with both feet. New coaching duo of (former captain) Gaëlle Mignot with David Ortiz. Multiple notable retirees, including the talismanic Laure Sansus. World Cup stars away with the 7s, including World Cup flyhalf Caroline Drouin. But their squad remains formidable, and are surely the only major threat to England's crown. A few faces who somewhat controversially missed out on the World Cup return, including Audrey Forlani, who has also been given the captaincy. They have a poor recent record away in Italy, but if they can navigate that match first up despite all the upheaval, they will surely build momentum towards a massive showdown at Twickenham.

My prediction:
England
France
Italy
Wales
Scotland
Ireland

Getting 3rd place takes on extra importance this year, as that will qualify that team to enter the top tier of World Rugby's brand new 3-tiered international competition 'WXV'.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I thought Ireland would struggle, but they really have fallen well behind on this evidence.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Ireland managed to stop the rot with the wind at their backs, but they've clearly lost ground in the last year. 31-5

Sarah Hunter's swansong coming up next.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

England were scarily good for 65 minutes. They certainly haven't lost any of their power game, but they were shifting the ball and mixing it up really well.

A couple more injuries (particularly Cleall) will be a concern with eyes on France, but a really bright start.

Scotland had a late rally, led by Chloe Rollie, and they maybe deserved a couple more scores. Another exhibition of the gap that the Red Roses have built though.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Really dogged effort from Italy, in deteriorating conditions, to hold France to 3 tries. France with some work to do over the next few weeks. Very scruffy. 12-22
HandOfBack
Tiger Cub

Post by HandOfBack »

Has anyone going to Franklins Gardens on 2nd April received their tickets yet? It says "Tickets for Red Roses matches will be delivered by email as Print at Home no later than 2 weeks prior to the event." but nothing has been received my end.

When resending the email it says it is attached by PDF then nothing appears?

As per, the RFU makes it almost impossible to find out who to contact. All gets directed back to "FAQ's"!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

HandOfBack wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:07 pm Has anyone going to Franklins Gardens on 2nd April received their tickets yet? It says "Tickets for Red Roses matches will be delivered by email as Print at Home no later than 2 weeks prior to the event." but nothing has been received my end.

As per, the RFU makes it almost impossible to find out who to contact. All gets directed back to "FAQ's"!
I had a similar experience trying to find a contact relating to tickets before. I ended up just emailing [email protected] and someone did get back to me in a day or so.
HandOfBack
Tiger Cub

Post by HandOfBack »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:38 pm
HandOfBack wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:07 pm Has anyone going to Franklins Gardens on 2nd April received their tickets yet? It says "Tickets for Red Roses matches will be delivered by email as Print at Home no later than 2 weeks prior to the event." but nothing has been received my end.

I had a similar experience trying to find a contact relating to tickets before. I ended up just emailing [email protected] and someone did get back to me in a day or so.
Thanks - appreciate the help!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Am I alone in being puzzled as to why Hunter was picked?

If you are retiring and unavailable for the whole tournament, why deprive another player of the opportunity to become part of the team. Professional sport should not allow sentimentality to take over the needs of the team.

Clearly the gulf between the teams was so huge there was no requirement to justify her selection as the best player for a one off match and therefore longer term needs were more important for team development.