Tigers v Bristol (H) - Saturday 25th March 2023 - KO 12:30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Saturday 25th March 2023 - KO 12:30pm

Post by Dangerous4 »

I would like to see the re-introduction of the scrum half being able to "sell a dummy" after retrieving the ball from the scrum.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:53 pm I would like to see the re-introduction of the scrum half being able to "sell a dummy" after retrieving the ball from the scrum.
He can "after". Do you mean before? If so, I wouldn't like to see it return; milking a cheap penalty, distasteful.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:25 pm One of the trials currently taking place in the southern hemisphere is that the opposition 9 can’t move past the tunnel, May well be spread worldwide
I think this was the case when I was young in the minis too, if my memory serves me correctly...
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:37 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:25 pm One of the trials currently taking place in the southern hemisphere is that the opposition 9 can’t move past the tunnel, May well be spread worldwide
I think this was the case when I was young in the minis too, if my memory serves me correctly...
Certainly was when I was reffing
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Might be just me but if the 9 directs the put in ball to their own locks why can't the opposing 9 step forward in line with those same locks :smt017 .

The perpendicular put in to the scrum has been ignored for so long by custom and practice then why not the defending 9 following the ball?

Put the pressure on the 8 or 9 who have the advantage of the cheating! :smt018
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:37 am
Certainly was the case and think lower age groups of junior too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:55 am Might be just me but if the 9 directs the put in ball to their own locks why can't the opposing 9 step forward in line with those same locks :smt017 .

The perpendicular put in to the scrum has been ignored for so long by custom and practice then why not the defending 9 following the ball?

Don’t really think the 2 are related. The ball does have to be hooked now and I’ve seen a number of free kicks given for the hooker not striking.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Re-watched the game and tried to follow Pollard, where I could. His class just shines through, what a player. Aside from the chip and chase, his general play was incredible, defensively solid and not afraid to put his body on the line, his kicking to touch was amazing, from inside our own half, pinpoint right on the 5m line, several times. Top top player and his interview afterwards just sums it up, he's enjoying his rugby for the first time in a few years, and it's showing.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:30 am Re-watched the game and tried to follow Pollard, where I could. His class just shines through, what a player. Aside from the chip and chase, his general play was incredible, defensively solid and not afraid to put his body on the line, his kicking to touch was amazing, from inside our own half, pinpoint right on the 5m line, several times. Top top player and his interview afterwards just sums it up, he's enjoying his rugby for the first time in a few years, and it's showing.
Probably the best all round 10 in the premiership .
A2O
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:28 am
Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:55 am Might be just me but if the 9 directs the put in ball to their own locks why can't the opposing 9 step forward in line with those same locks :smt017 .

Don’t really think the 2 are related. The ball does have to be hooked now and I’ve seen a number of free kicks given for the hooker not striking.
You mean all this time the ball didn't need to hooked? :smt017 . Break foot and hooking? How does a Hooker deal with a put in clearly behind them?
I say they are related in that "let that rule go but not accept a counter move" just gives more ammo for the subjective mind of the Refs and controversy. This isn't mini rugby.

I'm off now to practice my 3 metre throw ins and southern hemisphere slightly forward passes 😅
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Thing is, the whole hooking situation could be having a knock on effect on the rest of the scrum.

We are going back many many years here but in my front row days. the focus was to create a stable platform so as your hooker could make a clean strike at the ball and, on the other side, you were looking to create a stable platform for your hooker to be able to get across to try and take it against the head. What you thus had was 2 packs trying to keep a stable platform to allow their hookers to apply their skill. There was never any thought of trying to get penalties etc

Once you remove the hooking element, you then have 2 packs who can risk the stablity of the platform for an extra drive or positional advantage. That results in more collapses and more scrum resets, the bain of many a game.

May just be my strange way of thinking but I actually think that a return to emphasising hooking may speed up the game by creating a more stable scrum.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

GB72 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am Thing is, the whole hooking situation could be having a knock on effect on the rest of the scrum.

We are going back many many years here but in my front row days. the focus was to create a stable platform so as your hooker could make a clean strike at the ball and, on the other side, you were looking to create a stable platform for your hooker to be able to get across to try and take it against the head. What you thus had was 2 packs trying to keep a stable platform to allow their hookers to apply their skill. There was never any thought of trying to get penalties etc

Once you remove the hooking element, you then have 2 packs who can risk the stablity of the platform for an extra drive or positional advantage. That results in more collapses and more scrum resets, the bain of many a game.

May just be my strange way of thinking but I actually think that a return to emphasising hooking may speed up the game by creating a more stable scrum.
Fully in line with my aged thinking and experience. Today the Hooker is only there to stop their props from boring into each other and to score more tries than the backs :smt005
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:43 am
GB72 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:28 am Thing is, the whole hooking situation could be having a knock on effect on the rest of the scrum.

Fully in line with my aged thinking and experience. Today the Hooker is only there to stop their props from boring into each other and to score more tries than the backs :smt005
Been many years since I have seen a hooker swing across the gap and take a ball out of the opposition second row.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I think Lewis has another year left to bulk out.

His weight is about the same as Martin but he’s 4inch taller nearly in terms of power especially at scrum time I’m not sure I would want to risk it in a big game
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:53 am
Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:43 am

Been many years since I have seen a hooker swing across the gap and take a ball out of the opposition second row.
Precisely and a little dangerous too. Not wanting to get off topic but there was a point in time where the hooker didn’t have to hook and the likes of the Argentinian packs would just put a nudge on over the ball even on their own put in. I’m afraid us old timers can get a little carried away with these rulings. The hooker does clearly strike for the ball these days and it’s only part of the ball that needs to go down the middle of tunnel, although the majority of feeds are squint. The issue is too much time is taken up by the scrum and hopefully the 30 second law will speed things up. I also agree with Healey that for a free kick another scrum shouldn’t be an option