Tigers v Bristol (H) - Saturday 25th March 2023 - KO 12:30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Saturday 25th March 2023 - KO 12:30pm

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Back home - excellent win. Pollard absolute class. Ropey first 15 mins , dominated the 2nd half largely because we sorted the ruck out and largely stopped them winning turnovers. Montoya is a great leader , Martin and Cam absolute beasts. Love beating Brizz after Lams shams a couple of years ago.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 pm What a fantastic second row pairing Martin and Henderson have been in the last five weeks. Henderson certainly packed a punch in the tackle today and put in some monstrous hits.
Been very impressed with Henderson and rightly back to the heights (pardon the pun being a lock!) of pre his injury. Really hope we can tie him down long term and he doesn't get enticed back north of the boarder...

Great win today - very tough to single out any specific player but Montoya and Pollard were sensational. Credit to the bench who all added impetus when the game was on a balance. Also mention when Atkinson came on he too looked good at 10, composed and good to see some of his natural attacking game. Definitely players are able to play more of what they see under Wigglesworth and I hope that continues under McKellar. We look much better when we have the grunt and forward dominance but also the tools and skills to play wide and add pace in the backs.

I understand not wanting to rest players for Europe, especially with the run in we have in the Premiership, but given how well Atkinson played in the early stages of Europe Mayne start him at 10 and Pollard off the bench at 60mins? Either way it's great to have such good 10 options where at one stage it was Ford or no-one. As a plus, these selection dilemmas are a good thing to have! Onwards and upwards!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:47 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:18 pm What a fantastic second row pairing Martin and Henderson have been in the last five weeks. Henderson certainly packed a punch in the tackle today and put in some monstrous hits.
Been very impressed with Henderson and rightly back to the heights (pardon the pun being a lock!) of pre his injury. Really hope we can tie him down long term and he doesn't get enticed back north of the boarder...

Great win today - very tough to single out any specific player but Montoya and Pollard were sensational. Credit to the bench who all added impetus when the game was on a balance. Also mention when Atkinson came on he too looked good at 10, composed and good to see some of his natural attacking game. Definitely players are able to play more of what they see under Wigglesworth and I hope that continues under McKellar. We look much better when we have the grunt and forward dominance but also the tools and skills to play wide and add pace in the backs.

I understand not wanting to rest players for Europe, especially with the run in we have in the Premiership, but given how well Atkinson played in the early stages of Europe Mayne start him at 10 and Pollard off the bench at 60mins? Either way it's great to have such good 10 options where at one stage it was Ford or no-one. As a plus, these selection dilemmas are a good thing to have! Onwards and upwards!
I take your point re Pollard but where does it stop. If we beat Edinburgh do you continue the policy in the quarter final.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Anyone at the game got any comments on the line outs Bristol stole. Good guess work from Bristol or something more fundamental? Seemed to be not just Vui who was disruptive.
I would be tempted to carry on with the team we have and filter in the returnees as the game plan requires. I am keen that Atkinson feels he has potential to play and develop so he does not look to move on though. He has at least another year I think.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Offside wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:02 pm Anyone at the game got any comments on the line outs Bristol stole. Good guess work from Bristol or something more fundamental? Seemed to be not just Vui who was disruptive.
I would be tempted to carry on with the team we have and filter in the returnees as the game plan requires. I am keen that Atkinson feels he has potential to play and develop so he does not look to move on though. He has at least another year I think.
Atkinson will get plenty of premiership action first half of next season when Pollard is at RWC. I’m sure he is learning a lot from one of the world’s premier 10s
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

My first time back inside WR after 2 years of shielding. Great lift, it beats the chemo!
Good 5 point win against dangerous opponents who always showed their potential to score. Well done for a 23 man performance.
As for the top placings Sarries already a Q and with Sale looking a little bit exposed I'm for Tigers backing their talents without resting. With fans missing out on seeing their Internationals let's go for that 2nd spot and a home fixture. Europe for me is an unequal challenge and therefore not my number 1.

COYT :smt038
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Welcome back NFT - glad Tigers gave you something to smile about on your first visit back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:53 pm Great win, Saffas, Martin and obviously Montoya stand outs for me.

Re. the stream, it froze on the screens inside Welford road too so not actually a ‘stream’ fault.
I thought Mike Brown was brilliant again today.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:48 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:59 pm What happened to Scott? Looking light at centre at the moment, seems like the bench might steam roll Bristol.
Looks like a lower leg injury, but I may be wrong
He had an ice pack on his ankle at end.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Thanks Lutontiger.
Good match, great crowd and plenty of familiar faces. Questioning the touchs eyesight and Sir ignoring offsides (thankless task) just like I'd not been away. And back home for liquid medicine after all the Doc keeps telling me to take plenty of liquids :smt030
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:30 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:53 pm Great win, Saffas, Martin and obviously Montoya stand outs for me.

Re. the stream, it froze on the screens inside Welford road too so not actually a ‘stream’ fault.
Another selection dilemma. Brown undropable but can’t not select a fit Steward. 14 shirt for Steward maybe
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Thanks Lutontiger.
Good match, great crowd and plenty of familiar faces. Questioning the touchs eyesight and Sir ignoring offsides (thankless task) just like I'd not been away. And back home for liquid medicine after all the Doc keeps telling me to take plenty of liquids :smt030
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:37 pm Thanks Lutontiger.
Really pleased to hear you enjoyed your medicine today, best wishes NFT, hope the Tigers give you loads more.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:30 pm

Apart from the one spill into touch, agreed!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

NFT, hope you’re on the road to recovery. All the best.

Bristol can have no complaints. Maybe if they were a bit more accurate they’d have been closer to us, plus they’ve only just started to mount a challenge. I do get them moaning at the Bradbury “try”….it was a 50/50 decision that could have gone either way. Aside from that, they were beaten fair and square