Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Keep Mike Brown

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:11 am Brown has been fantastic. Proved the doubters (most of us) wrong.

However, put simply, when Freddie is back Brown won't play. If Freddie gets injured, Watson is the #2 fullback.

So, sentiment aside, unfortunately we just don't need a 3rd fullback for the remainder of this season.
Could easily put one of them on the wing, where we're struggling a bit for depth.
Yes, I think that's the scenario in which he stays. I wouldn't want to move arguably the world's best fullback to the wing, though.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It is fairly strongly rumoured when he signed it was only till the Edinburgh game he was signed for (basically 6N plus rest weeks after).

So for us not to have announced an extension is one of 3 things.

1. We cannot afford to keep him unless we offload someone early (only if someone is looking for injury cover elsewhere will this happen)

2. We haven't announced anything because we never officially announced it in the first place. This option is highly unlikely IMO we virtually always like announcing signings as it's good PR.

3. We haven't announced anything because there's things still being sorted, e.g. we're hoping to tie up cover till post WC in it, or we're prepping another popcorn day soon. (Bondi if you're reading this with a spare week this week is a great week to have a popcorn day as we won't lose focus on a game)

I think 1&3 are the most likely outcomes, his interviews recently seem to suggest he wants to stay so I really hope we can work something out in there...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don’t see Brown commanding a big salary.
He has played well and we need FB cover while the World Cup is on. But there was a reason he was out of contract. He didn’t do much at Quins in his last year and at Newcastle similarly.

Beyond that we have consider if he can sustain this standard. Swan songs don’t last forever.
If Watson stays, then he too can provide FB cover.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:43 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:41 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:11 am Brown has been fantastic. Proved the doubters (most of us) wrong.

However, put simply, when Freddie is back Brown won't play. If Freddie gets injured, Watson is the #2 fullback.

So, sentiment aside, unfortunately we just don't need a 3rd fullback for the remainder of this season.
It'd be a very brave call to release him.
Thing is it may not be a rugby call, but a salary cap decision...
I don't think it is in this case.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Watson is rumoured to be leaving, possibly for Irish with Hassel- Collins coming to us. For the life of me I cannot remember which paper I read this in!
I personally think Mike Brown would be great to have around until the end of the season ap but have we got any salary cap available?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:05 am
Offside wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:32 am Tigers announcement said end of season for Jansen leaving. Message from Connaught did not mention when.
Connacht said they were signing him for the 23/34 season.
That's a fantastic contract, 11 seasons wow. :smt052
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:49 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:05 am
Offside wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:32 am Tigers announcement said end of season for Jansen leaving. Message from Connaught did not mention when.
Connacht said they were signing him for the 23/34 season.
That's a fantastic contract, 11 seasons wow. :smt052
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:26 pm Watson is rumoured to be leaving, possibly for Irish with Hassel- Collins coming to us. For the life of me I cannot remember which paper I read this in!
I personally think Mike Brown would be great to have around until the end of the season ap but have we got any salary cap available?
Was it three signings announced in the week that it was announced Freddie was leaving. West, Whitely and Brown. Seeing as Brown was desperate for a club (allegedly) and West was also unemployed out of circumstance, I could see all three being within the 5 months or so of FB's contract cash that was left to run.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:29 am
Ian Cant wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:26 pm Watson is rumoured to be leaving, possibly for Irish with Hassel- Collins coming to us. For the life of me I cannot remember which paper I read this in!
Was it three signings announced in the week that it was announced Freddie was leaving. West, Whitely and Brown. Seeing as Brown was desperate for a club (allegedly) and West was also unemployed out of circumstance, I could see all three being within the 5 months or so of FB's contract cash that was left to run.
Sam Wolstenholme - 01/01/23 (SHORT TERM)

Tom West - 19/01/23 (remainder of season)
Freddie Burns leaving - 22/01/23
Tom Whiteley - 23/01/23 (long term)
Batch of re-signings 24/01/23
Next season signings - 25/01/23

Mike Brown - 31/01/23 (SHORT TERM)

Dates FYI, even cheaper than Burns, he was signed as a 2nd choice player, so won't have been super high wages. Getting 3 players wages out of it may be a stretch, even if relatively cheap.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:29 pm

Dates FYI, even cheaper than Burns, he was signed as a 2nd choice player, so won't have been super high wages. Getting 3 players wages out of it may be a stretch, even if relatively cheap.
I'd checked the dates first, which was the factual basis of my argument. So three signings in the immediate period that it was announced Burns was leaving, hence my logic. As you note, Brown always announced as "short term" but no official confirmation has ever been made public about what short term means.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 pm

I'd checked the dates first, which was the factual basis of my argument. So three signings in the immediate period that it was announced Burns was leaving, hence my logic. As you note, Brown always announced as "short term" but no official confirmation has ever been made public about what short term means.
True but the Brown announcement was later than the rest as he was still on trial at the time we'd been planning the other announcements for a while.

I know the club has not publicly announced it, but there has been widespread rumours that it ends with the Edinburgh game.

Question really is, was that date just because a 2 month contract was all we wanted to give till he proved himself, or was 2 months all we could afford given Whiteley had a long term contract and West a 5 month one.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:53 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 pm

True but the Brown announcement was later than the rest as he was still on trial at the time we'd been planning the other announcements for a while.

I know the club has not publicly announced it, but there has been widespread rumours that it ends with the Edinburgh game.

Question really is, was that date just because a 2 month contract was all we wanted to give till he proved himself, or was 2 months all we could afford given Whiteley had a long term contract and West a 5 month one.
Don't know all the ins and outs of the salary rules but would we have got a second bite at the injury compensation cherry over Dan Kelly when he got injured shortly after his return - could this have been used for Brown?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerXV wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:59 pm Don't know all the ins and outs of the salary rules but would we have got a second bite at the injury compensation cherry over Dan Kelly when he got injured shortly after his return - could this have been used for Brown?
Think Kelly was injured maybe a day or two before Brown was signed.

You can't turn a signing into injury cover after they have signed a main contract so the dates don't really match with enough time.

Plus the regulations say they play the same position I think?

Kelly's estimates have him back before the end of the season, initially estimated at 10 weeks and you can only sign injury replacements if you're out for 12+ weeks
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

With our recent history trying to be "cute" with the salary cap isn't a great idea.....leave that to the "Humble" teams in the league
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Steward is widely regarded as the best full back in the world under the high ball, with mentoring from Brown he may well become the best full back in the world.

Use Brown's skill, knowledge and experience to bring Steward on further than he has already come
God created rugby so footballers have heros too