Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Sunday 12th March 2023 - KO 13:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tykger

Re: Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Sunday 12th March 2023 - KO 13:00

Post by Tykger »

From all the camera angles the last try undoubtedly looked dubious to say the least. That said, the ref says that he saw it grounded, presumably from an angle at a moment in time unavailable to the rest of us. At least he had the confidence in his own decisions, unlike the ref in the Italy game who was fortunate to have some help.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Not many complaining about WW now. Yes he is going at the end of the season but I can well remember all the ludicrous calls for him to be sacked, even at that early juncture. "Not the answer" was a common cry.
I am sure there are some like me who wonder if McKeller's arrival is now a bad thing and may spoil what is now going so well?
A life long Tiger
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

In regard of the decisions I thought the Glos try was OK (crossing marginal) and that it was the correct decision to disallow Liebenberg's try. I think there was a similar one like that we conceded last week where they disallowed? Basically they are looking at if you use legs to propel forward or just place. And there was some use of legs.

Also I wouldn't have given the try at the end. I think Tempo winged it when he said he saw the grounding. It's difficult for anyone in that situation as it's very tight and you think we should score! As others have said we would have had another crack and maybe Tempo had in the back of his head it was an inevitability but still.

On not kicking for 3. I thought both teams were quite disciplined in that first half. Would like to see how many actual kickable pens their were.

We deserved the win no doubt but I did think we were a tad fortunate to get the TBP and as others have said could actually be critical this year.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

I wish more refs would go with what they've seen in real time. Obviously they're much closer to the action than the cameras and are able to tweak their position a foot or two either way to get a better view. How often is the camera view obstructed by a chunky prop's leg that the ref could quickly peer around!?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I think most people would prefer the ref to make the decisions rather than the man in the van( or Austin).
A2O
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:30 am I think most people would prefer the ref to make the decisions rather than the man in the van( or Austin).
At least Healey should wait until play has moved beyond the review period before he starts chirping (if it benefits Tigers of course!!) When he started talking about Browns trip I thought we were doomed.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

There was a crossing for their try, it was looked at by the TM O and a decision made. Brown trip was not seen by officials and was probably accidental so no relevance, forward passes missed, happens every game. Liebenberg's " try" for me with a view close to the incident the score was good, the Tiger's supporter sitting next to me (a qualified ref) thought probably a double movement, having watched the tv recording and seeing that a Gloucester player was holding Liebenberg,'s legs I wonder if he should have been done for not releasing, I still think the try was good. Last try, the ref was close to the action and saw the ball.on the ground over the try line, awarded the try, there was nothing on tv to clearly show anything different so the onfield decision stands, we were playing a penalty advantage so possibly the decision saved a Glos player from a yellow card.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Smudge wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:08 am Not many complaining about WW now. Yes he is going at the end of the season but I can well remember all the ludicrous calls for him to be sacked, even at that early juncture. "Not the answer" was a common cry.
I am sure there are some like me who wonder if McKeller's arrival is now a bad thing and may spoil what is now going so well?
So you're going to have a pop at people making rash judgements early into a coaches career and then say that another coach's appointment is bad when he hasn't even started yet!!!!!!

🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

ads wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:55 am
Smudge wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:08 am Not many complaining about WW now. Yes he is going at the end of the season but I can well remember all the ludicrous calls for him to be sacked, even at that early juncture. "Not the answer" was a common cry.
So you're going to have a pop at people making rash judgements early into a coaches career and then say that another coach's appointment is bad when he hasn't even started yet!!!!!!

🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I for one didn’t think RW was the man to take us to the end of the season, but he is doing a sterling job. I think a lot of this is down to having a world class core of players in Pollard, Montoya and Wiese, take any two of them out of the equation through injury/suspension then I think we wouldn’t be picking up the points we have.

As for Mckeller a fantastic appointment with a CV to back it up, I hope he brings tigers great success!!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:20 am It's Tuesday morning.

Posh Richard is still complaining about.

1) The last try. From the shot I saw on the highlights, no try.....but did it hit the line beforehand?

2) Brown's Trip

3) Sir

Perhaps 3 is a consequence of 1 and 2?
Tell him to look in the score book, like we used to say at cricket when someone moaned about being out.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Not a jock wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:26 am I wish more refs would go with what they've seen in real time. Obviously they're much closer to the action than the cameras and are able to tweak their position a foot or two either way to get a better view. How often is the camera view obstructed by a chunky prop's leg that the ref could quickly peer around!?
Tempest like all his colleagues is the ultimate authority on the pitch. He and a number of his fellow Refs seem to me unwilling not to go with the TMO rather than make their own decision. Thats why I was flabbergasted when Troy Tempest gave the Weise try as I thought he would bottle it again like he did with the Liebenburg try.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tempest has made a few odd calls lately, going to the TMO who is clear in their interpretation of the review, and then overruling them based on what he sees on the big screen at the ground.

The TMO has a better monitor than the ground’s big screen viewed at distance by the ref so why overrule?
That’s not about judging perceived intent like a deliberate knock on but more objective things like forwards, backwards, grounding or whether the ball has been touched. Quality computer screen with a refresh rate and resolution as high as the recording at 50cm or a big screen with limited refresh rates and resolution at 30m?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:32 pm

1) The last try. From the shot I saw on the highlights, no try.....but did it hit the line beforehand?

2) Brown's Trip

3) Sir

Tell him to look in the score book, like we used to say at cricket when someone moaned about being out.
"Read it in the Chronlcle!" As our umpire used to tell us.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

GB72 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:03 am

2) Brown's Trip

3) Sir

Not sure that I can argue against any of those complaints.
Tempest said he saw the ball grounded so they never actually checked that. It's worth noting he came round and saw that after the point the TMO footage finished. The Gloucester scrummy who decided to dive down the side and obstruct the camera actually helped us out there.

The trip, TMO must have been asleep. That being said we got away with that but didn't get much else in the first half and in the second half Glaws got away with blatant crossing for their try and then didn't get much else. Swings and roundabouts.

Re sir see the swings and roundabouts comment. Tempest isn't the best ref going you just have to try and take him out the game. Glaws could have certainly done that by building a lead when they were on top and using tactics that favoured saving the effort of their forwards rather than asking them to do all that mauling and carrying when we had a 6:2 bench.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The ref said he could see it touching the “grass”. At one side there was certainly a Gloucester hand underneath, but plastic grass stand up and the carpet flexes when all the bodies fall on it so all it takes is for one bit of plastic grass to be touching the ball on the far side the ref could see for it to be a try. He called it.

I have not seen any stills of Brown being in contact with the Gloucester player during the trip. It certainly looked like he stuck a leg out but seemed to pull it back before any contact. Still daft by Brown and I do hope he had second thoughts and did not trip. Anyone got a convincing still shot of contact?