Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Sunday 12th March 2023 - KO 13:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Re: Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Sunday 12th March 2023 - KO 13:00

Post by SASCOkid »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:56 am I have to agree about our bench .. I thought it looked good on paper .. but then when they came on it just took off!
The locks as everyone has said were superb. Henderson shoving his hand right up for next week and WC inclusion but Big George just gets better and better and can see him in a WC squad too. We all know his defence is the most “offensive” in the premiership with the thunderous tackles but now he is adding week by week a great ball carrying game. Montoya and Brown were brilliant yesterday but if George had been on for the whole 80 I think he would have been looking at MOM medal.
A word also about Cronin.. West is without doubt a great signing that we need to hang onto but our scrum started to fire when the Irishman arrived, and quietly under the radar, Hurd comes on and never disgraces himself.
Cronin gave a pen away within minutes of coming on.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

SASCOkid wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:15 pm
mightymouse wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:56 am I have to agree about our bench .. I thought it looked good on paper .. but then when they came on it just took off!
The locks as everyone has said were superb. Henderson shoving his hand right up for next week and WC inclusion but Big George just gets better and better and can see him in a WC squad too. We all know his defence is the most “offensive” in the premiership with the thunderous tackles but now he is adding week by week a great ball carrying game. Montoya and Brown were brilliant yesterday but if George had been on for the whole 80 I think he would have been looking at MOM medal.
A word also about Cronin.. West is without doubt a great signing that we need to hang onto but our scrum started to fire when the Irishman arrived, and quietly under the radar, Hurd comes on and never disgraces himself.
Cronin gave a pen away within minutes of coming on.
wasn't that another random Tempest penalty for lying on the wrong side which he gave out arbitrarily against both sides throughout the game whilst not penalising exactly the same (often worse) at other rucks?
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Cronin got injured making a tackle - he didn't seem to be able to move his arm freely - and then got caught on the wrong side.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:31 am
KevinR wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:53 am I simply don't believe that the captaincy would have been taken away from Hanro. Surely, it's much more likely that something's going on in his personal life that meant he asked to be relieved of the pressure - which also explains why the club hasn't commented.
I think that is one of two options.

The other (which I think is equally as likely)

Montoya's first game as captain, that Sarries game, Hanro was due to be on the bench, Wells starting and Martin at 6 (this wasn't updated on the graphics shown in the stadium, so this was a late change), then Wells gets a knock. Martin goes to lock, Liebenberg comes in. At that point decision as all prep has Montoya captain that week they keep it.

Montoya then captains well, Liebenberg plays one of his best games in a fair while. Then you have the coaches sit down with them both and maybe agree to retain it?
Like I posted after that match, WW and Montoya were in deep conversation near the Droglites bar, I think it was at that point WW was persuading him to take it on, not during a coaches meeting unless it was agreed with the others up in the stand during the game.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

A significant contributor to the unusual score line at 53 minutes was the reluctance to kick for 3 points by either side. In fact, I don’t recall an attempt all game. Very odd.

PS a lack of kicks is odd, not me forgetting things!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

loretta wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:54 am A significant contributor to the unusual score line at 53 minutes was the reluctance to kick for 3 points by either side. In fact, I don’t recall an attempt all game. Very odd.

Post game there was a lot of interviews talking about how strong the wind was. I suspect that significantly contributed to the kick for posts or corner debate.

Was also noticable how many kicks went out on the full (especially on the near touchline to the camera). It was a pity not one of the commentary mentioned it during the match (though I think they were moaning about the wind in the build up on the pitch, just forgot to mention it may be influencing decisions)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I was also puzzled by the lack of 3 point attempts by both teams as were Gloucester supporters, there was a very swirly wind and several.kicks from hand got held up.in the wind near the big stand but I have seen worse conditions when kicks were attempted.
There was, I am sure unfounded suggestion by some that it was an agreement by both teams to go for tries because it was the Ed Slater Cup.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

loretta wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:54 am A significant contributor to the unusual score line at 53 minutes was the reluctance to kick for 3 points by either side. In fact, I don’t recall an attempt all game. Very odd.

Interviewed afterwards Lenny complained about the wind......weather wise that is.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

It's Tuesday morning.

Posh Richard is still complaining about.

1) The last try. From the shot I saw on the highlights, no try.....but did it hit the line beforehand?

2) Brown's Trip

3) Sir

Perhaps 3 is a consequence of 1 and 2?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:20 am It's Tuesday morning.

1) The last try. From the shot I saw on the highlights, no try.....but did it hit the line beforehand?

2) Brown's Trip

3) Sir

I'd agree with his point 3. However he was bad for both teams. See blatant crossing before their try

1) it certainly did not hit the ground before that. After it gets obscured by the camera, Sir goes looks round there and sees it on the floor, so grounding came after. We did still have pen advantage vs 14 at that point, so may well have still scored.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:20 am It's Tuesday morning.

2) Brown's Trip

3) Sir

Not sure that I can argue against any of those complaints.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

There again Liebenberg disallowed try for double movement a bit harsh.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok list of big decisions that were controversial to say the least, quite possibly wrong:

In Gloucester's favour.
Their try - blatant crossing
Liebenberg non-try

In Tigers favour
Last try grounding
Gloucester's "non grounded" try in the 1st half
Brown trip

On the big calls we probably edged it 3-2, but they I think had the rub of the green at least in the minor calls. If you also acknowledge the forward pass in the build up to the Brown trip, it maybe balances it more.

Both sides can rue the decisions, fortunately we played well enough to remove the ref from the game, they didn't.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Totally agree, did not mean to say that there was an uneven nature to the decision, both sides got away with things but, if I had supported to the losing side, I would be agrieved at the grounding of the last try and the trip. It is hard to argue that they were not bad calls.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

From all the camera angles the last try undoubtedly looked dubious to say the least. That said, the ref says that he saw it grounded, presumably from an angle at a moment in time unavailable to the rest of us. At least he had the confidence in his own decisions, unlike the ref in the Italy game who was fortunate to have some help.