Re: Tigers v Gloucester (A) - Sunday 12th March 2023 - KO 13:00

Post by fentiger »

Potter now known in this house as SumUp (card machine) :smt044 :smt044
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:01 am Interesting that Matt Scott seems to get put up for a lot of the LTTV interviews these days. I wonder if it’s because he volunteers or whether the club put him forward as one of the more articulate members of the squad?
Actually I just want to mention what an unsung hero Scotty is. Rarely talked about and yet plays most games and is always a solid reliable performer. Good defence and runs good lines in attack. He has been a very good signing for us over last few years.
Agreed. I thought he was excellent yesterday in particular.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

fentiger wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:30 am Potter now known in this house as SumUp (card machine) :smt044 :smt044
Tbf the one he got on Sunday was taking one for the team. We held them out they got 0 points with him off the pitch. Had he not knocked that in I'd say they had a good chance of a try. Lets face it our "cover" that stopped it being a penalty try was Snyman, not known for stopping flyers trying to beat him on the outside.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Very impressive 3rd win on the bounce. It's quite a long time since we kept any Premiership team (other than Newcastle) to 5 points or less, particularly away from home.

Excellent performances across the team.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I bounded into work this morning, Gloucester fans not happy with Tempest. The Brown trip (fair enough) and the Rapava-Ruskin "try" which wasn't given. I think they're right, but countered with Hanro's disallowed try and the forward passes leading up to the Gloucester try. "Tempo" didn't have a good one. I've had a few Gloucester fans come up to me saying that we deserved it, so that's a first !

I think most of the game has been called out on here, but the hack through for May to chase was interesting. I immediately thought "oh no" seeing Jonny May in pursuit, but Simmons was just as quick, if not quicker and did a great job of getting to his feet and then driving May backwards ! Superb. Too many players to single out, but Hanro for me was excellent. Not sure what the deal with the captaincy was, but he could easily have thrown his toys out of the pram. Brilliant performances from him in the last few weeks.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:17 am Very impressive 3rd win on the bounce. It's quite a long time since we kept any Premiership team (other than Newcastle) to 5 points or less, particularly away from home.

Excellent performances across the team.
4th win on the bounce 😉
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Regarding Hanro, I have just watched the LTTV interviews and I thought he was very flat and subdued, especially after such a good win. He would normally be much more smiley and enthusiastic. Whatever is behind the captaincy decision, it may be nothing to do with rugby and may be something outside meaning he has asked if he can step back for a while. I hope he is OK.
As Good As It Gets
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

One of the posts on Shedweb:- "Well, even at 0-0 the result never seemed in doubt. We were outmuscled by a stronger and simply better side".
Ancient Mariner
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think Hanro is playing better now he is relieved of the captaincy and Montoya is playing better with it ... so happy days .. that’s just the way it’s affects some people
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

I simply don't believe that the captaincy would have been taken away from Hanro. Surely, it's much more likely that something's going on in his personal life that meant he asked to be relieved of the pressure - which also explains why the club hasn't commented.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

They could have just got together and discussed things and the captaincy was one of them. Maybe Wigg, Hanro and Montoya all just thought it worked better this way.
Personally, I think it'd be more of a strength than a weeakness if someone said they didn't actually fancy it anymore and it was affecting their game, especially if you have a ready made international captain in the team already.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

KevinR wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:53 am I simply don't believe that the captaincy would have been taken away from Hanro. Surely, it's much more likely that something's going on in his personal life that meant he asked to be relieved of the pressure - which also explains why the club hasn't commented.
I think that is one of two options.

The other (which I think is equally as likely)

Montoya's first game as captain, that Sarries game, Hanro was due to be on the bench, Wells starting and Martin at 6 (this wasn't updated on the graphics shown in the stadium, so this was a late change), then Wells gets a knock. Martin goes to lock, Liebenberg comes in. At that point decision as all prep has Montoya captain that week they keep it.

Montoya then captains well, Liebenberg plays one of his best games in a fair while. Then you have the coaches sit down with them both and maybe agree to retain it?
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:31 am
KevinR wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:53 am I simply don't believe that the captaincy would have been taken away from Hanro. Surely, it's much more likely that something's going on in his personal life that meant he asked to be relieved of the pressure - which also explains why the club hasn't commented.
I think that is one of two options.

The other (which I think is equally as likely)

Montoya's first game as captain, that Sarries game, Hanro was due to be on the bench, Wells starting and Martin at 6 (this wasn't updated on the graphics shown in the stadium, so this was a late change), then Wells gets a knock. Martin goes to lock, Liebenberg comes in. At that point decision as all prep has Montoya captain that week they keep it.

Montoya then captains well, Liebenberg plays one of his best games in a fair while. Then you have the coaches sit down with them both and maybe agree to retain it?
Sounds as likely as anything. No drama, just sensible decisions.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ourla wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:23 pm I could regret saying it of course but that Glos bench looks weak.
For once, I was right!

Things definitely shaping up nicely for a tilt.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess it was always going to be tricky for Hanro to lead the side when you have the current Argentina captain also playing.

There may be personal reasons for him to stand down but it may be that Wigglesworth felt he needed Montoya’s leadership experience on the pitch. The return to fitness of Martin adds another complication. Unless Martin plays in the second row, he would be competing for the 6 slot with Hanro. Reffell has made the 7 slot his and likewise Wiese at 8 so Hanro may be under pressure for his place and doesn’t want to complicate the selection decision.