Tigers Coaching Team - 2023/2024 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Coaching Team - 2023/2024 Season

Post by Darc Tiger »

There are some deficiencies between the England and the French/Irish age grade setups, but they did play some exciting rugby.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:36 pm
TigerXV wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:23 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:57 am According to CityAM and Matt Hardy, former Saints boss Alan Dickens will be the Tigers attack coach next season.
Good spot - I never had CityAM down as a breaker of niche rugby news. I'm not sure what to think about this appointment if true. I wouldn't criticize him for this years poor U20 results as the whole set up and structure has fallen away recently.
Any recollections on the Saints back play under Dickens?
was he attack coach at that time? I thought he was their defence coach but as I say I'm not sure what to make of it and trust the club. One link I've found was from the Saints site when he left to coach the England U20s which includes a comment about him being a fun guy to have around - with Aled on his way I think we need a similar character in the set up
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Dickens is as close as you can get to it being 100% going to happen, so it's just down to when Tigers announce it. Probably over the next few weeks as no game on.

If Tom Harrison does leave for England, that would be a shame. Dan Mckellar did a fantastic podcast with an Aussie podcaster Duncan Chubb, where he references Dan Palmer as being one of the best scrum coaches around, so that might be someone we see come in if Harrison moves on. I'd love Boris back, he was a great scrum coach. However like others have said our scrum has changed due to the nature of our game plan. We want our forwards more dynamic and able to go for 80 minutes rather than heavy brutes. That said our scrum stats are still one of the strongest in the league which is credit to Harrison.

With Matt Smith, i understand he is possibly eyeing up more of an academy role at Tigers so splitting his time between the senior side and the academy. Smith has also supported Dickens at England under 20's this season too, so he may feel that's where his strengths lie.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:06 am I wonder if it’s our scrum that has got worse, or other teams have got better, realising the importance of it.
It’s very rare over an 80 minute period that we are bested, and I would still back us to get a penalty on our own put in when required
I’d say very close to best scrummaging team in the Prem at the moment - not sure if the stats bear this out. I’m no expert in this area, but maybe one area for improvement is that we seem to get the ball stuck somewhere between 2nd and back row rather too often.

Not perhaps a scrum issue - but my impression is that JVP gets knocked around too much by his opposite number on our put in. I’d have thought with YBY and WW as mentors he’d be able to sort that - it’s not that he’s undersized for a 9!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:06 am I wonder if it’s our scrum that has got worse, or other teams have got better, realising the importance of it.
It’s very rare over an 80 minute period that we are bested, and I would still back us to get a penalty on our own put in when required
I’d say very close to best scrummaging team in the Prem at the moment - not sure if the stats bear this out. I’m no expert in this area, but maybe one area for improvement is that we seem to get the ball stuck somewhere between 2nd and back row rather too often.

Not perhaps a scrum issue - but my impression is that JVP gets knocked around too much by his opposite number on our put in. I’d have thought with YBY and WW as mentors he’d be able to sort that - it’s not that he’s undersized for a 9!
Possibly an experience thing. Again us oldies are saying why aren’t his flankers and 8 protecting him. In my day the ball went to the 8s feet on the opposite side of the put in.

Something else they are trialing in super pacific rugby, is that the opposition 9 cannot encroach past the tunnel. No idea if that is being expanded though.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:32 pm
chris111 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Possibly an experience thing. Again us oldies are saying why aren’t his flankers and 8 protecting him. In my day the ball went to the 8s feet on the opposite side of the put in.

Something else they are trialing in super pacific rugby, is that the opposition 9 cannot encroach past the tunnel. No idea if that is being expanded though.
No idea what happened in my day - I was out on the wing so too far away to see the skullduggery
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Like rugby gramps in my day the flanker and Eight stuck backsides and legs out.to protect the ball and the 9 so opposition could not interfere without going offside, of course the ball was put in straight so it could be fed back properly now with crooked feed it is more likely straight back to the rights left foot, scrum half collects own feed and has to get round his back towers before a flattish pass so the 10 stands a little deeper these days.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Next season:
Head Coach: Dan Mckellar
General Manager: Leigh Jones
Head of Senior recruitment: Richard Wilks
Defence Coach: Matt Everard
Attack Coach: VACANT (rumored Alan Dickens)
Scrum Coach: VACANT
Assistant Backs: Matt Smith
Assistant Forwards: Brett Deacon
Head of Physical Performance: VACANT
Head of Medical: Simon Wallace
Senior Performance Analyst: Matt Egan
Team Manager: Tessa Carrington
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:36 pm Next season:
Head Coach: Dan Mckellar
General Manager: Leigh Jones
Head of Senior recruitment: Richard Wilks
Defence Coach: Matt Everard
Attack Coach: VACANT (rumored Alan Dickens)
Scrum Coach: VACANT
Assistant Backs: Matt Smith
Assistant Forwards: Brett Deacon
Head of Physical Performance: VACANT
Head of Medical: Simon Wallace
Senior Performance Analyst: Matt Egan
Team Manager: Tessa Carrington
Maybe our new HC could cover the scrum, at least short term, but not having a replacement for Aled would be very bad IMHO.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:32 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... pppointed/

Confirmed Harrison to England
Words fail me.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:04 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:32 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... pppointed/

Confirmed Harrison to England
Words fail me.
Congratulations to Harrison. That's probably a good pay rise for him. Hopefully we got some compensation out of it and can use that to help build our coaching team.

Attack and scrum coaches and a head of physical performance. I'm sure we can fill those spaces and that McKellar will have some ideas of who he wants, probably has already agreed the replacements.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I've heard from a reliable source that the coaching team is sorted.

Brett, Smithy and Everard are staying, Dickens + replacements for Harrison and Aled are sorted, but wouldn't give me names.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:15 pm I've heard from a reliable source that the coaching team is sorted.

Brett, Smithy and Everard are staying, Dickens + replacements for Harrison and Aled are sorted, but wouldn't give me names.
Any indication on if we'd be happy or not?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Been impressed by Everard, 100% deserves to stay, if anything the defence is better now than it was at the beginning of the season.