Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Coaching Team - 2023/2024 Season

Post by kpj tiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:06 pm
Pellsey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:23 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:08 pm Harrison is a bit of an odd appointment for me. The Tigers scrum is probably less dominant than it has been at any point in the professional era, and is certainly more vulnerable than before Harrison took over.

I do wonder if Borthwick will come to regret not having more experience around him.

Jobs for mates?
I thought exactly the same. I really would like Tiger's to have a dominant scrum again like we had with Stanko. Harrison didn't bring that. It was mostly parity with him.

I have been trying to find out why Stanko left 3 years ago. I can't even find out what he is doing now! Has he just retired from rugby? That would be a huge waste of talent.
I've just asked a friend who knows some of the ex Tigers lads and apparently Boris is coaching in Japan at the NEC Green Rockets, where Craig Newby and Ben Herring have coached previously.
Pretty sure shortlived Tigers coach Rob Taylor is also there too
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:14 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:06 pm
Pellsey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:23 pm

I thought exactly the same. I really would like Tiger's to have a dominant scrum again like we had with Stanko. Harrison didn't bring that. It was mostly parity with him.

I have been trying to find out why Stanko left 3 years ago. I can't even find out what he is doing now! Has he just retired from rugby? That would be a huge waste of talent.
I've just asked a friend who knows some of the ex Tigers lads and apparently Boris is coaching in Japan at the NEC Green Rockets, where Craig Newby and Ben Herring have coached previously.
Pretty sure shortlived Tigers coach Rob Taylor is also there too
You are indeed correct - he is head coach. https://green.necrockets.net/member/?staff
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

On the scrum coach, i think there are three immediate choices that spring to mind as possibles - Dan Palmer, Du Plessis & Boris Stankovich.

Palmer i think is off to Australia with Eddie - he is very well regarded in Oz so I think we can rule him out.
Du Plessis has opened up a scrum school in Australia with the intention of bringing through props to play for Australia - I think he would be unlikely to come to us.
Boris has been coaching overseas however has been seen in Kibworth over the last few weeks.

Now that does not mean it will be Boris, indeed McKellar may also have someone lined up, however he is back in the area and comes with a good reputation so it feels very much the most likely answer.

On the S & C front, the club are very aware that Aled is almost impossible to replace like for like. By far, he is the toughest to replace of all those leaving.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I was told that soon after Borthwick's arrival he told Boris that he couldn't see what he brought to the club, hence Boris departed..
Having watched Boris taking scrum sessions after Cockers left I would say that whilst I thought the same work ethic was there it was accompanied by more laughter. I never saw a session after Steve Borthwick too over so cannot comment on any change at that point.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:19 am I was told that soon after Borthwick's arrival he told Boris that he couldn't see what he brought to the club, hence Boris departed..
Having watched Boris taking scrum sessions after Cockers left I would say that whilst I thought the same work ethic was there it was accompanied by more laughter. I never saw a session after Steve Borthwick too over so cannot comment on any change at that point.
That is shocking to hear as, at the time, we IMHO had by far the best scrum in the Premiership... and now we don't.

I hope we (and also he) can just put that down to a mistake.

I guess Boris is not in Kibworth on holiday. It wouldn't be my choice! :smt040 Let's hope there is something in that!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Nothing at all against Stankovich, it's just I think we should move on. Re-appointing folk seems a bit regressive, although of course I recall a certain Tigers head coach who came back...and did well, so happy to be proved wrong!
Personally, I suspect our new head coach will have some v clear ideas about coaching the scrum, so we'll see.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:30 pm Nothing at all against Stankovich, it's just I think we should move on. Re-appointing folk seems a bit regressive, although of course I recall a certain Tigers head coach who came back...and did well, so happy to be proved wrong!
Personally, I suspect our new head coach will have some v clear ideas about coaching the scrum, so we'll see.
I would be happy to "regress" to dominant scrumming though! You could say, "better the devil you know...", or a "proven entity."

Then again, if DM brings in somebody and our scrum is back to the top, then I would definitely not complain. As you said, he that is his area of expertise, so I'm sure he knows far far more than me!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scrum dominance is not solely down to the coach its also down to the quality of the forward pack and that of the oppositions.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sapajo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:57 pm Scrum dominance is not solely down to the coach its also down to the quality of the forward pack and that of the oppositions.
It's a bit radical to suggest that players have anything to do with it :smt044 :smt044
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

sapajo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:57 pm Scrum dominance is not solely down to the coach its also down to the quality of the forward pack and that of the oppositions.
Hang on a minute. Are you saying that if you have better players than the opposition you generally do better?

Mind Blown!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Yeah - I generally think we haven't gone backwards, it's the rest that have caught up!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:01 pm
Yeah - I generally think we haven't gone backwards, it's the rest that have caught up!
Agreed, that is definitely also true. How dare they! :smt040

It is just a Tigers' tradition - to dominate in the scrum. I just miss it!
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

ads wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:11 pm
Hang on a minute. Are you saying that if you have better players than the opposition you generally do better?

Mind Blown!
Who knew ?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

With Cronin, Cole and Montoya we are hardly short of a good front row in the scrum.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Pellsey wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:25 pm With Cronin, Cole and Montoya we are hardly short of a good front row in the scrum.
Agreed, it's also worth pointing out that with guys like Martin, Henderson & Chessum in our scrum, our engine room does masses of work in the loose, this means the fact they can do that means we sacrifice a bit at the set piece, but we still insist on at least parity there, which is a great situation to be in.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.