Gold Member

Re: Tigers Coaching Team - 2023/2024 Season

Post by markharbtiger »

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Really happy with all of these and very.much looking forward to the new season already!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

To be honest I don’t know much about any of the new coaches apart from Dickens.
A2O
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ay2oh wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:35 pm To be honest I don’t know much about any of the new coaches apart from Dickens.
Admittedly, I am going on reputation a lot, but it seems that the right types of people are being taken on - experienced coaches who seem to fit the way Tigers play, especially the new Scrum coach. You can of course call this blind optimism :smt040
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Pellsey wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:22 pm
ay2oh wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:35 pm To be honest I don’t know much about any of the new coaches apart from Dickens.
Admittedly, I am going on reputation a lot, but it seems that the right types of people are being taken on - experienced coaches who seem to fit the way Tigers play, especially the new Scrum coach. You can of course call this blind optimism :smt040
I agree on paper it looks like an excellent team. Really pleased to see Everard has been kept on for me he made a huge impact after Xmas. Some concerns are natural over Dickens, but there is lots of experience and has a reputation for liking a fast flowing game
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

All we can do is get behind them and give them our wholehearted support.
A2O
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:25 pm
Pellsey wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:22 pm
I agree on paper it looks like an excellent team. Really pleased to see Everard has been kept on for me he made a huge impact after Xmas. Some concerns are natural over Dickens, but there is lots of experience and has a reputation for liking a fast flowing game
I cannot agree more especially about Everard. Our defence has been phenominal since he joined.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Yes I agree with the positive vibes:good balance of experience both internationally and domestically. It seems EJ has entrusted Dan Palmer to the lineout for the Wallabies for the WC, which will be interesting...
I am both pleased and disappointed Brett Deacon is an assistant coach. Pleased that we still have him contributing to Tigers, but disappointed in that he is still only an assistant coach...
I do wonder these days if a dedicated kicking coach is required at club level? Who has been looking after that?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:42 pm Yes I agree with the positive vibes:good balance of experience both internationally and domestically. It seems EJ has entrusted Dan Palmer to the lineout for the Wallabies for the WC, which will be interesting...
I am both pleased and disappointed Brett Deacon is an assistant coach. Pleased that we still have him contributing to Tigers, but disappointed in that he is still only an assistant coach...
I do wonder these days if a dedicated kicking coach is required at club level? Who has been looking after that?
Kev was doing some kicking coaching while he was here, I imagine Pollard will mentor any of the younger kickers now though
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:42 pm
Is there anyone better than Handre Pollard at the moment?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

In days of yore a kicking coach was more of an expert that was bought in. I think Ford bought Aldred in for help and Wilkinson has been helping Marcus Smith
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:46 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:42 pm Yes I agree with the positive vibes:good balance of experience both internationally and domestically. It seems EJ has entrusted Dan Palmer to the lineout for the Wallabies for the WC, which will be interesting...
Kev was doing some kicking coaching while he was here, I imagine Pollard will mentor any of the younger kickers now though
AWJ was doing some yesterday, maybe he can with all his free time now.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Liking the look of that setup. I liked the makeup of the setup under SB, Kev inspirational, and Aled a master of his craft. Glad to see we have recruited well to fill the gaps.
DMK looks like he has a trusted lieutenant in Palmer, who himself has a very good reputation. That could prove to be a very astute capture, especially given out natural love a strong set piece. I like the fact Palmer references that too.
Pleased to see Everard retained too, he seemed to do a good job with the defence back end of the season, slightly different tactical approach to Kev, seemed to be a lot more chop tackles, but very effective.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think it shouldn't be underestimated how much Dickens has worked with our players.

For example most attacks start (and get driven by the 9 & 10)

Dickens was the one who made Van Poortvliet his captain for a U20's Grandslam, when most were calling for Quirke, who was on the bench behind Jack, to be in the Senior setup.

That was a good attack that out leading scrum half ran.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:27 pm I think it shouldn't be underestimated how much Dickens has worked with our players.

For example most attacks start (and get driven by the 9 & 10)

Dickens was the one who made Van Poortvliet his captain for a U20's Grandslam, when most were calling for Quirke, who was on the bench behind Jack, to be in the Senior setup.

That was a good attack that out leading scrum half ran.
Yes I was wondering about that connection on the u20 stage