Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Coaching Team - 2023/2024 Season

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:44 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:37 pm Listening to Lenny speaking on Radio Leicester, and he credited Danny Wilson's work these past few months. He's not staying, but he's not really been talked about in this run into form, so a bit of credit where it's due.
I think Everard contribution needs to be credited too. IMHO, we are a better team defensively now than when Sinfield was here.
We seem to have reduced our tackle height considerably, which is leading to more dominant collisions, and less penalties, just one yesterday for a seat belt I think.
I couldn't agree more. Our defence recently has been more than just rock solid - we have constantly pushed back teams 20 or 30 metres. For me, he must be retained long term.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I agree, I think it has been telling the tackle height is now a bit lower generally, and we are winning a lot of collisions, taking attackers back past the gain line. It’s a regular occurrence to see opposition getting knocked backwards.
Overall, whilst we still kick pragmatically for territory, we do also seem to be trying to put more width on our game, whether that is Wigglesworth tweaking what Borthwick had laid out, or Pollard getting his feet under him now maybe.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:40 am I agree, I think it has been telling the tackle height is now a bit lower generally, and we are winning a lot of collisions, taking attackers back past the gain line. It’s a regular occurrence to see opposition getting knocked backwards.
Overall, whilst we still kick pragmatically for territory, we do also seem to be trying to put more width on our game, whether that is Wigglesworth tweaking what Borthwick had laid out, or Pollard getting his feet under him now maybe.
Having watched re runs of Sunday it proved how much we have missed Kelly. He switched with Pollard on a few occasions to first receiver and one run in particular with 4 Exeter players hanging off him was a joy.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Brad Thorn leaving the reds.
Wouldn't be a bad pick up potentially IMO
As a coach I think he's been successful with the reds considering the mess post McKenzie.

Just IMO too green as for a head coach role, but if McKeller wants a out and out forwards coach so he can oversea more then he would be worth a shout.
also done wonders with coaching the young Reds players coming through. Just lacks the nous for the overall gameplan that a head coach needs IMO
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

I know Aled is leaving, :smt012 but watching him around the players during warm-ups and throughout the game, let alone hearing how highly he is regarded for his fitness and conditioning work, I hope we find someone similar to replace him. He’s such an encouraging presence!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think Findlay would fill in nicely.
Walters as a personality is 1 in a million so no point looking for someone with his personality.
Findlay is massively respected and his charity work is pretty inspiring. Plus should know what Walters does re fitness etc.

Better to try and find the personalities elsewhere. (Which I think having these old boys like Ashton and Brown has helped out with)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think the club's S&C Lead Coach would be a bit miffed if Will Findlay jumped over him in the pecking order!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:35 pm I think the club's S&C Lead Coach would be a bit miffed if Will Findlay jumped over him in the pecking order!
True Woodhouse was a good pick up from Wasps
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I assume he replaced the Irish chap (who I've completely forgotten the name of) who arrived in the summer departed in the Autumn back to Australian RL.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:37 pm Listening to Lenny speaking on Radio Leicester, and he credited Danny Wilson's work these past few months. He's not staying, but he's not really been talked about in this run into form, so a bit of credit where it's due.
I'd completely forgotten that Wilson was working with us
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:39 pm
There is a chance our resurgence is down to Wilson rather than WW.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:06 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:39 pm
There is a chance our resurgence is down to Wilson rather than WW.
Very true. But, as they say, I guess we'll never know.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting that Ben Youngs says

Genuinely he has done an amazing job. We didn’t just lose Kev (Sinfield) and Steve, we also lost Richard as an attack coach because he had to go and fill Steve’s (head coach) role. We basically lost a forwards coach, defence coach and an attack coach. Matt Everard has come on and does attack and defence, Richard oversees everything and Danny Wilson has come in to do the set-piece work“

Thinking about it if Wigglesworth coaching is more overseeing does anything else really need to be changed?

Maybe another forwards coach to replace Wilson if McKeller wants to continue the overseeing aspect more. But if McKeller does it the Borthwick way then not even a forwards coach

Also got to say Everard seems ideal future head coach candidate from what I hear from tigers and his time at wasps
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:38 am Interesting that Ben Youngs says

Genuinely he has done an amazing job. We didn’t just lose Kev (Sinfield) and Steve, we also lost Richard as an attack coach because he had to go and fill Steve’s (head coach) role. We basically lost a forwards coach, defence coach and an attack coach. Matt Everard has come on and does attack and defence, Richard oversees everything and Danny Wilson has come in to do the set-piece work“

Thinking about it if Wigglesworth coaching is more overseeing does anything else really need to be changed?

Maybe another forwards coach to replace Wilson if McKeller wants to continue the overseeing aspect more. But if McKeller does it the Borthwick way then not even a forwards coach

Also got to say Everard seems ideal future head coach candidate from what I hear from tigers and his time at wasps
Based on what I know about McKellar, I suspect keeping Deacon and Harrison as the key forwards coaches is enough.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://archive.is/i5fdV

Telegraph article (minus paywall) about England’s coaching team next year.

Suggestions are that Harrison is still well in the running.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.