Tigers v Bath (H)- Saturday 04th March 2023 - KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath (H)- Saturday 04th March 2023 - KO 15:00

Post by fentiger »

Above all decisions should be seen to be fair, sadly because of either ineptitude or can't be bothered this weekend has shown several incident's that, plainly, were not fairly dealt with.
The idea filtering down from above that the game needs to be a spectacle won't work if it's a debacle instead!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:00 pm Brown is the signing of the season
I did not realise that the Season tickets qualified for Wimbledon impressions as we saw in the first half, but when we ran the ball it paid dividends rather than Ben's donations to the opposition.
I loved it when a wag in the Crumbie 25 shouted at Brown to "Run it!" and he ran through the Bath field only to be pulled up short of the line. More Wags and running required. :smt003
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

It’s a real disappointment that of all those watchers from the Crumbie who call every single offence perfectly, and can always tell us when professional referees get it wrong, none of them have considered going to the effort of getting themselves on a refereeing course.

Junior rugby is desperately short of referees. Come on, people - what are you waiting for?!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Chris, if I could run more than 10 yards without being sick I would. :smt001
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

chris111 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:56 pm It’s a real disappointment that of all those watchers from the Crumbie who call every single offence perfectly, and can always tell us when professional referees get it wrong, none of them have considered going to the effort of getting themselves on a refereeing course.

Junior rugby is desperately short of referees. Come on, people - what are you waiting for?!
2 new knees and 30 years back on my life.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I wish people would stop defending incompetent referees. They are highly paid professionals and although it isn’t an easy job you should be able to spot forward passes, foot in touch and ball grounding after multiple replays on the big screen. There are too many incorrect decisions in every game many of which decide matches.Those that say we couldn’t do any better are quite right but we are not paid to do so. Why are these poor decisions not questioned by the powers that be and if they are why does nothing change ?
A2O
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

chris111 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:56 pm It’s a real disappointment that of all those watchers from the Crumbie who call every single offence perfectly, and can always tell us when professional referees get it wrong, none of them have considered going to the effort of getting themselves on a refereeing course.

I have suggested to one of them that he would be superb at it, sadly I don't think he has.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:48 pm I wish people would stop defending incompetent referees. They are highly paid professionals and although it isn’t an easy job you should be able to spot forward passes, foot in touch and ball grounding after multiple replays on the big screen. There are too many incorrect decisions in every game many of which decide matches.Those that say we couldn’t do any better are quite right but we are not paid to do so. Why are these poor decisions not questioned by the powers that be and if they are why does nothing change ?
This.

I don't think it's an easy job, far from it, and the law makers keep making it harder. They need to make it easier to get the correct decisions. Technology and training.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:48 pm I wish people would stop defending incompetent referees. They are highly paid professionals and although it isn’t an easy job you should be able to spot forward passes, foot in touch and ball grounding after multiple replays on the big screen. There are too many incorrect decisions in every game many of which decide matches.Those that say we couldn’t do any better are quite right but we are not paid to do so. Why are these poor decisions not questioned by the powers that be and if they are why does nothing change ?
Nailed!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:57 am
Nailed!
This. Its not the questionable ones fans are shouting about, its the ones that are blatantly wrong. Everybody, bar the TMO could see the Sale try was forward. She gave it a very quick check, and declared it was 'not clear and obvious.' It was though
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

OK, so let's say that I agree refereeing is appalling (I don't) and something simply must be done... what? What must be done?

Give the refs a jolly good telling off? Sack or demote the refs? Or perhaps work with the refs to help them improve.... which already happens.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:14 am OK, so let's say that I agree refereeing is appalling (I don't) and something simply must be done... what? What must be done?

Give the refs a jolly good telling off? Sack or demote the refs? Or perhaps work with the refs to help them improve.... which already happens.
The main issue is not the ref it is the TMO, refs not getting it right is excusable, TMO's not getting it right isn't.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

wigworth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:14 am OK, so let's say that I agree refereeing is appalling (I don't) and something simply must be done... what? What must be done?

The main issue is not the ref it is the TMO, refs not getting it right is excusable, TMO's not getting it right isn't.
Exactly. They have freeze frame technology, it probably doesn't cost much to be able to draw little lines on the screen like they do in footbal for offside. The TMO's are the problem, or at least the way the technology is either used or interpreted. I do think the refs need to start asking different questions though. The on field try thing is rubbish, as it skews what the TMO is looking for.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:51 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:52 pm What happens if the player is running diagonally?
If the ball knows its location relative to the pitch it can work out just the forwards/backwards component of the speed. It is simple trigonometry.
Oh, I know. But ultimately it isn't made simple! :smt002 :smt003
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

wigworth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 am

So, same question, what's the solution? Do we not think they are trying to be as good as they can be? Or that no one is working with them to improve? Or that there's a long queue of others to take their place if they're sacked?

I understand the frustration about incorrect decisions, but is that not a part of most sports, even those with far simpler and/or more easily enforceable rules/laws than rugby? If a sport as wealthy and comparatively simple as football can't eradicate officiating controversy, why do we expect or demand near perfection from Rugby Union?

And as an aside, are TMO's well paid? As far as I can tell, they get peanuts, but I might be wrong.