Tigers v Bath (H)- Saturday 04th March 2023 - KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bath (H)- Saturday 04th March 2023 - KO 15:00

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:59 pm Don't confuse England Underhill and Bath Underhill. I don't think he's ever had a good game in the Bath shirt while he's had some outstanding games in the England one. That Underhill might be gone for good but I've not seen him struggle against any big international back rows,in fact quite the opposite, he's never had any problems with physicality
His try saver against Wales is burnt in my mind. A very good player who maybe could have been great if not injuries.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:14 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:59 pm Don't confuse England Underhill and Bath Underhill. I don't think he's ever had a good game in the Bath shirt while he's had some outstanding games in the England one. That Underhill might be gone for good but I've not seen him struggle against any big international back rows,in fact quite the opposite, he's never had any problems with physicality
I think that the England Underhill has gone now as injuries have taken their toll
Sadly yes mate
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Thing is, he's not in the EPS, given his options there Borthwick won't look at Underhill unless he sees the "England Underhill" with Bath not just once but consistently.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:26 pm
Thing is, he's not in the EPS, given his options there Borthwick won't look at Underhill unless he sees the "England Underhill" with Bath not just once but consistently.
Yeah,he’s done I think mate.Was just making the point that one of the posts about him struggling with a big back row was a strange one. The one thing he excels or excelled at was the physical aspect of the game. Massive neck,shoulders and traps and like our Martin,when he hit you you stayed hit! Up there with the worlds best tacklers at one stage
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I know it’s doesn’t matter but the Bath player is definitely out in touch for their first try.

If I can see it on the reply- what is the TMO doing- it’s such a basic thing to spot.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:37 pm I know it’s doesn’t matter but the Bath player is definitely out in touch for their first try.

If I can see it on the reply- what is the TMO doing- it’s such a basic thing to spot.
Funnily enough having just seen the highlights I thought the exact opposite. I wasn’t too far away at the time and I thought it was out, but having seen the replays I don’t think there’s overwhelming evidence to overturn.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:17 am Reflecting on the game:
Bath deservedly prop up the table. Year after year pundits say they are too good to at the bottom but comfortably the worst side to turn up at Welford Road this season.
Their supposedly wonder props were dealt with by our second string. (Playing for Bath does not mean you are great).
Their defensive strategy was to go offside and hope the ref would do nothing. After the 2 yellows the ref got bored and let them get away with it.
I know there is no relegation this year but if ever a side needed the drop to bring about change it is Bath.

We let in some soft tries. Missed a number of first up tackles.
Why was one of our tries disallowed? Pushing? If you put yourself between yourself and the ball is that not obstruction unless you are directly retreating? Not really but if you get in the way you can be legitimately be competed with.
I agree with this view of Bath as do most of my Bath mates, spot on synopsis. They are resigned to their fate of being bottom or scrapping with Newcastle. Sometimes you need to reset and Bath need to take a look at where they are and start working out how to get out of it. They need a Borthwick style Lazarus coach like we had. Massive job next season for their whole coaching team.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Or…..Finn Russell
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The camera angles available were not conclusive for the awarding of the try to be overruled
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Looked like the back foot dragged in touch to me. Did they concentrate on that too though or just the incident of the first foot narrowly missing touch?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just watched it and paused the highlights. His trailing right foot was in touch 100% ,but his initial right foot that slid across wasn’t,and that was the foot the TJ was concentrating on. Did they highlight just the initial sliding right foot or did they look at the trailing leg too? That looks the one that went out as the ball was dotted down
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Not watched the highlights but live I thought it odd that for their 2nd try they took the ball into the ruck which then squirted out our side and there was no look by the officials for whether there was a knock on or not. Try was just given straight away - couldn’t see us competing so either we played the ball illegally in the floor or it was a knock on 🤷‍♂️
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:20 pm Not watched the highlights but live I thought it odd that for their 2nd try they took the ball into the ruck which then squirted out our side and there was no look by the officials for whether there was a knock on or not. Try was just given straight away - couldn’t see us competing so either we played the ball illegally in the floor or it was a knock on 🤷‍♂️
I thought the same it must have been a knock on but ignored and overlooked by the officials, as with the TMO they are subjective and pick what they want to see. You see it time and time again, the Whiteley to bigger arm arc knock on was comedy just like the Brown apparent push!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:15 pm
His try saver against Wales is burnt in my mind. A very good player who maybe could have been great if not injuries.
He may be defensively solid at times but carrying the ball against big sides isn’t international back row for me. Perhaps not a consideration for EJs kick and defend game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:10 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:15 pm
He may be defensively solid at times but carrying the ball against big sides isn’t international back row for me. Perhaps not a consideration for EJs kick and defend game.
He used to carry a lot,we used to use him off lineout ball/first phase to truck it up. Never had any problems there either