Tigers v Bath (H)- Saturday 04th March 2023 - KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Bath (H)- Saturday 04th March 2023 - KO 15:00

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With how our fixtures remain we have the top 4 in our own hands, however we can't let the bottom side do the double on us. Need to get Gloucester concerned about our visit.

Without him having had many minutes in the 6N I could see Cole possibly getting released (but I doubt it) most likely just Youngs, Reffell & Henderson we have.

Two games going to the well, we may see changes. Squad fitness has some bearing, as think we could get Cronin & Porter back maybe?

Here's my guess

Brown
Simmons
Scott
Porter
Potter
Pollard
Youngs
West
Montoya
Heyes
Wells
Henderson
Martin
Cracknell
Wiese

Clare
Cronin
Hurd
Liebenberg
Reffell
Whiteley
Atkinson
Gooperth
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bath (H)- Saturday 04th March 2023 - KO 15:00

Post by baz1664 »

The pack is international standard even without Chessum and Tommy.

West is also a must keep for next season!!

Think Brown was a good piece of business, be nice to get Porter back in with Scott as it’s a tough role for JG to keep operating in the centre channel.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I would also add that we are pretty much at the point where getting try bonus points are going to be absolutely necessary.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I wouldn't be unhappy with that squad, with our youngsters coming through we are in a good place player wise and Wiggs is doing his best for us too.(I might add Whitcombe in there if Cronin is not quite ready)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

baz1664 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 am
West is also a must keep for next season!!
I said after the Wasps debacle I couldn't believe no one picked him up. The only issue with his career to date has been unfortunate injuries. Very talented player.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

wigworth wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:34 am I would also add that we are pretty much at the point where getting try bonus points are going to be absolutely necessary.
Just a quick look at the remaining fixtures, that home game vs Exeter in mid April could be the one that decides whether we have a shot at Top 4, given they have a game in hand and some "easier" fixtures. It's all "ifs" and "buts" - assuming we win with 5 points on Saturday, then we could still lose at Kingsholm (losing bonus ?) and be in the mix.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

wigworth wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:34 am I would also add that we are pretty much at the point where getting try bonus points are going to be absolutely necessary.
Five wins will take Tigers to 58 points. Gloucester is the big game in the chase for a Top Four. Beating Exeter at home is also a must win with those teams in the challenge for a top four.
Those teams around Tigers are going to drop points as they are scheduled to play either each.
Bonus points would be very handy but would expect 5 wins to make it top four......a big task but one that is very achievable.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:32 am
Just a quick look at the remaining fixtures, that home game vs Exeter in mid April could be the one that decides whether we have a shot at Top 4, given they have a game in hand and some "easier" fixtures. It's all "ifs" and "buts" - assuming we win with 5 points on Saturday, then we could still lose at Kingsholm (losing bonus ?) and be in the mix.
Yeah I think we would still be in the mix although we would need some points from that game if we were to lose, preferably two. I guess the point I should have articulated more clearly is that we really need to play and push for tries, I don't think it will be good enough to squeak out low scoring wins at this point.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:33 am
Five wins will take Tigers to 58 points. Gloucester is the big game in the chase for a Top Four. Beating Exeter at home is also a must win with those teams in the challenge for a top four.
Those teams around Tigers are going to drop points as they are scheduled to play either each.
Bonus points would be very handy but would expect 5 wins to make it top four......a big task but one that is very achievable.
So if you assume the following are in the fight for 3rd and 4th

Saints
Gloucester
Exeter
Tigers
London Irish
Quins
Bristol

Of those only us & Exeter do not play one of the top 2 teams

Saints host Sarries R22
Gloucester host Sale R23
LI host Sale R20, visit Sarries R24
Quins vist Sarries R21
Bristol host Sale R22

However there are so many fixtures to go splitting points between the contenders

R19 (6N bye)
Bristol v Saints
Quins v Exeter

R20 (6N match)
Glaws v Tigers
Bristol v Quins

R21
Tigers v Bristol
LI v Saints

R22
Tigers v Exeter

R23
Exeter v Bristol

R24
Bristol v Gloucester
Tigers v Quins
LI v Exeter

If we win our games then it probably should be enough, but a lot of big games between now and then.

One week at a time and don't get ahead of ourselves!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:33 am
Doable but personally I don't see us winning all five games, so we will need to get maximum points available to us even in defeat. I agree Exeter looks like the season decider.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don't mind if we finish 5th tbf with the season we've had. That and beating Edinburgh would be decent,not brilliant but good considering what's happened
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:56 pm I don't mind if we finish 5th tbf with the season we've had. That and beating Edinburgh would be decent,not brilliant but good considering what's happened
Agreed, it wouldn't be a disaster and whilst I'd fancy our chances away in a one-off game at either Sarries or Sale, and I'd love the opportunity for us to take over both of those stadiums with our fan base, I think Top 6 and a quarter-final away tie in Dublin would be a good return.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:56 pm I don't mind if we finish 5th tbf with the season we've had. That and beating Edinburgh would be decent,not brilliant but good considering what's happened
Agreed, it wouldn't be a disaster and whilst I'd fancy our chances away in a one-off game at either Sarries or Sale, and I'd love the opportunity for us to take over both of those stadiums with our fan base, I think Top 6 and a quarter-final away tie in Dublin would be a good return.
It's a tough ask mate,12% chance of winning an away GP SF I believe. Although I havnt looked into it,I just remember seeing the stat once
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Just remember that something like 73% of statistics are made up!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ads wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:33 pm Just remember that something like 73% of statistics are made up!
:smt005