Visiting Kingsholm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dave64

Visiting Kingsholm

Post by Dave64 »

I am going to see Tigers at Gloucester on 12th March with some friends. Never been to Kingsholm before and was wondering if any of you seasoned travelling fans had any recommendations for somewhere to get a pint near the ground before or after the match? Also, what are the bars and general catering facilities like at the ground?
Grateful for any guidance.
Thanks
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Visiting Kingsholm

Post by Scott1 »

Dave64 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:17 pm I am going to see Tigers at Gloucester on 12th March with some friends. Never been to Kingsholm before and was wondering if any of you seasoned travelling fans had any recommendations for somewhere to get a pint near the ground before or after the match? Also, what are the bars and general catering facilities like at the ground?
Thanks
Never been but Wife has been staying in Tewkesbury for a few days. She enjoyed a trip to Cheltenham but said she will never go to Gloucester again as long as she lives,and she’s from Birmingham :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Last time I went the Ground is on RHS going into Gloucester and there is a bar opposite the ground, run by ex player if i remember correctly. Are you planning standing in the shed? If so best watch out, they wont make you feel too welcome. :smt009 I see you are going with friends, take plenty! :smt005
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I had a friend, a very kind fellow, now sadly departed, who went and stood in the shed wearing a Tigers shirt. A woman hit him with her umbrella.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

loretta wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:53 pm I had a friend, a very kind fellow, now sadly departed, who went and stood in the shed wearing a Tigers shirt. A woman hit him with her umbrella.
If you had to support Gloucester you’d be angry too :smt023
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Dave64 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:17 pm I am going to see Tigers at Gloucester on 12th March with some friends. Never been to Kingsholm before and was wondering if any of you seasoned travelling fans had any recommendations for somewhere to get a pint near the ground before or after the match? Also, what are the bars and general catering facilities like at the ground?
Thanks
You’ve got Teagues or the Kingsholm inn, both will give you a warm Gloucester welcome ! Facilities inside are good, plenty of inside and outside bars and food places. I had someone try and take me on when Gloucester beat us a few seasons ago….hilarious it was.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Been to Gloucester many times and stood in the shed. Usually nowsit in the big stand. Never had a problem, friendly passionate fans but be prepared for banter. Plenty of food outlets and cip shop opposite ground. Pubs Teagues', The Kingshlolm and The Coach and Horses nearby packed with fans.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:44 pm Been to Gloucester many times and stood in the shed. Usually nowsit in the big stand. Never had a problem, friendly passionate fans but be prepared for banter. Plenty of food outlets and cip shop opposite ground. Pubs Teagues', The Kingshlolm and The Coach and Horses nearby packed with fans.
This. Been plenty of times and just been prepared for good bants - take it in the spirit it’s meant and it’s a cracking day out!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If you're going to stand in the Shed there will be a lot of banter and someone will shout "Glawster" in your ear any time anything goes your way. They do take the abuse back though so a rendition of "same old Tigers, always winning" goes down a treat.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The service in the long bar behind the main stand was exemplary the last time I was there; haven't been since pre-covid though.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

A proper rugby ground in a proper rugby city with proper rugby pubs. Been many times - sometimes we lose, sometimes we win.
A great experience.
Ancient Mariner
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:56 am If you're going to stand in the Shed there will be a lot of banter and someone will shout "Glawster" in your ear any time anything goes your way. They do take the abuse back though so a rendition of "same old Tigers, always winning" goes down a treat.
I’ve only experienced The Shed a handful of times, and always enjoyed it. Certainly boisterous, but to be honest I’ve seen worse behaviour from yobbish drunks on the Crumbie.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:24 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:56 am If you're going to stand in the Shed there will be a lot of banter and someone will shout "Glawster" in your ear any time anything goes your way. They do take the abuse back though so a rendition of "same old Tigers, always winning" goes down a treat.
I’ve only experienced The Shed a handful of times, and always enjoyed it. Certainly boisterous, but to be honest I’ve seen worse behaviour from yobbish drunks on the Crumbie.
I had a good time in the Shed. You've got to be prepared for the banter though. If you like to watch the game in a degree of peace go seating, if you like the banter and drinking with whomever you're stood next to then go stand in the Shed.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agree with others as we’ve been alot over the past 30 or so years and the fans are great, very passionate and like many Tigers’ fans, “one eyed where the ref is concerned!” Makes for some amusing banter from the Shed.
We are going, especially as it’s the Ed Slater Cup game.
It’s a huge game for MND and for league points!!
We are in the Stand behind the posts which is where we’ve been alot over the many seasons of going. Standing is great for the atmosphere but for a while now we Tigers’ fans have been spread out! I might be wrong but I think lots of clubs decided we made too much noise so sadly the Tigers no longer get allocations of tickets to sell themselves!
Hopefully more Tigers’ fans will make the effort for this game just to support the brilliant Ed Slater!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I was sat there last season behind the posts (Stowford Press stand ?) and had a brilliant view of us throwing the ball wide, and Nadalo literally trampling over Seabrook (I think it was) - one of the highlights of my season. Good view of the Potter try as well when he weaved his way past a few defenders. Always close games at Kingsholm, regardless of where we are in the table. Most memorable one the semi-final and Goodey's drop goal - brilliant atmosphere and a lot of Tigers fans there.

There are some funny Glaws fans - that same game, sat behind the posts, there was a guy calling "forward" every time we attacked .....you couldn't make it up !