Board plan additional investment in Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Board plan additional investment in Tigers

Post by Scott1 »

Are we close to seeing a B and I league with the SA teams? A 2 league set up perhaps. What's the point of the HC Cup then though? Unless that competition was considerably shortened maybe. Top 2 of each B and I league and French top 4 going straight into a knockout competition. Just thinking out loud
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:58 pm Are we close to seeing a B and I league with the SA teams? A 2 league set up perhaps. What's the point of the HC Cup then though? Unless that competition was considerably shortened maybe. Top 2 of each B and I league and French top 4 going straight into a knockout competition. Just thinking out loud
Honestly, I can see a B & I league sooner rather than later with the European Cup a post season playoff between the top teams in each league. I just cannot see how all of the teams we have in the Premiership can keep going. The product is just not capturing the attention of the viewing public and so something needs to possibly change to rectify that. If rugby was not so strong in France at the moment I could see a 2 division european league.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:58 pm Are we close to seeing a B and I league with the SA teams? A 2 league set up perhaps. What's the point of the HC Cup then though? Unless that competition was considerably shortened maybe. Top 2 of each B and I league and French top 4 going straight into a knockout competition. Just thinking out loud
Honestly, I can see a B & I league sooner rather than later with the European Cup a post season playoff between the top teams in each league.
The European competition won't change significantly IMHO. It's an independent business in its own right and won't want much less than the current level of matches/TV airtime/sponsorship levels.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The WRU, having messed up on the original B&I offer, are closing on that scenario as Dragons look likely to close and I suspect Ospreys would be then next in danger. It would make a lot of sense to have two groups of 7, and perhaps an innovative structure. The arrival of English teams would galvanise audiences in Wales as well. It would also negate some of the silly qualification rules for Welsh internationals.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think we need this extra money to attract a new sponsor, to provide a half set of Mobility scooters for our three quarter line. :smt022
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LE18 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:18 pm I think we need this extra money to attract a new sponsor, to provide a half set of Mobility scooters for our three quarter line. :smt022
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

LE18 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:18 pm I think we need this extra money to attract a new sponsor, to provide a half set of Mobility scooters for our three quarter line. :smt022
And a stairlift to & from the Crumbie.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:00 pm
I may be able to help put them in touch with this one as I worked in the Lift Industry all my life.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:14 pm
I may be able to help put them in touch with this one as I worked in the Lift Industry all my life.
Bet that job has its ups and downs (sorry could not resist)
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm

I could have been making a million pound donation if I had a £1 for everytime in my 44 yrs of working there that I have heard that one.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm

That's wrong on so many levels.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigers in financial trouble!

Post by Ian Cant »

I don’t know if fans can listen to the last hour of BBC Radio Leicester’s coverage of todays game v Saracens but all season ticket holders and genuine fans ought to listen to it. It’s an excellent summary of where Tigers are in financial terms and the real threat of administration is discussed.
We were on the way back from the game and we were surprised at what we heard making the vote to back Sir Peter Tom and Tom Scott a must.
Mind you we’ve not had our voting forms yet: some of our friends have had there’s so hopefully ours are in the post.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

You can download the whole programme on BBC Sounds.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Coming from St Helens I also keep an eye on the other Saints. But recent events have me thinking how Rugby League manages its finances I genuinely have no true idea but am under the impression it thrives, we don't hear much about clubs going under and Saints have just become World Club Champions beating Penrith Panthers away in Aus. I understand their players are paid less (generally) than Union players which for most clubs will be the biggest cost as with any business.

Yet.....the game thrives, we have a club which is World beating and no headlines (that I recall) about clubs going under. Surely there is a model there for Union somewhere. I know lower salaries may mean players move but surely a viable, competitive, sustainable premiership should be the core goal. I would take that even if English clubs were less competitive against French and Irish clubs.

Edit: Just seen this from Jack Willis viewpoint.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64720269
As Good As It Gets
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »