Board plan additional investment in Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Board plan additional investment in Tigers

Post by GB72 »

Tigersunited wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:30 pm Wow and blimey, that’s a massive vote of confidence from our major shareholders, at the same time a clear insight into the parlours state of professional rugby. Makes me question just what the RFU & PRL are doing?? “Asleep at the wheel” I think the select committee said.
I just hope we have more than a couple of teams to play against.
My tin foil hat, conspiracy theory on the whole thing is that the RFU would rather like the whole house of cards to collapse. Look at what they could gain, goodbye club influence, hello central contracts and franchise teams and with there being so many players and so few spaces for them if the Prem colapses, they can pick up those central contracts and franchise player contracts nice and cheap. It would be goodbye to the Premiership as a company so the RFU can set up its new franchise competition and take in all of that TV money and by putting the teams into Europe, the RFU get that European Cup money as well. Basically a collapse of the Premiership would give the RFU total control.

As I said it is a tin foil hat conspiracy theory, totally insane and part said in jest but you can also see how the RFU would benefit from a collapse of the current club game in the same way that I am sure that the ECB would not shed a massive tear if the county game collapsed and could be replaced with Franchise T20, 100, one day and 5 day leagues.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

GB72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:51 pm
Tigersunited wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:30 pm Wow and blimey, that’s a massive vote of confidence from our major shareholders, at the same time a clear insight into the parlours state of professional rugby. Makes me question just what the RFU & PRL are doing?? “Asleep at the wheel” I think the select committee said.
My tin foil hat, conspiracy theory on the whole thing is that the RFU would rather like the whole house of cards to collapse. Look at what they could gain, goodbye club influence, hello central contracts and franchise teams and with there being so many players and so few spaces for them if the Prem colapses, they can pick up those central contracts and franchise player contracts nice and cheap. It would be goodbye to the Premiership as a company so the RFU can set up its new franchise competition and take in all of that TV money and by putting the teams into Europe, the RFU get that European Cup money as well. Basically a collapse of the Premiership would give the RFU total control.

As I said it is a tin foil hat conspiracy theory, totally insane and part said in jest but you can also see how the RFU would benefit from a collapse of the current club game in the same way that I am sure that the ECB would not shed a massive tear if the county game collapsed and could be replaced with Franchise T20, 100, one day and 5 day leagues.
I don't think you are far off the truth.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I think that's pretty rational. It would actually make sense of a lot of things unless, of course, they really are that incompetent.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Think you might have hit the nail squarely on the head.

With the Welsh RFU about to implode, dont think ours is that far off...
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

fortysix wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:38 pm Think you might have hit the nail squarely on the head.

With the Welsh RFU about to implode, dont think ours is that far off...
That position is even worse. Ours could implode and the RFU could look to take over the running of the sport at a professional an Elite level through franchises or similar. Wales have already done that and failed and they are facing the bankrupting of the whole sport at a professional level.

My other fear is that he teams with the wealthy backers who want to spend, spend, spend aim to break away from the premier league, if all went wrong, perhaps take the place of the Welsh regions in their league and focus on being major competitors in europe without the hindrance of a salary cap.
PAW2
Tiger Cub

Post by PAW2 »

A bit left field, but can we buy shares in Tigers? I doubt my few quid would make much difference, but if a few could do it, it may help a little?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

PAW2 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:50 pm A bit left field, but can we buy shares in Tigers? I doubt my few quid would make much difference, but if a few could do it, it may help a little?
I suspect not unless there is a new issuing of shares. Any existing shares sold would benefit the share holder but would not see any money going to the club. Only a further share issue would help fund the club but that would dilute the shares owned by the current investors.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:56 pm

I don't think you are far off the truth.
Same here!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think a general share issue is much more complex and expensive so Tigers have chosen repeatedly to use the option of offering key shareholders more shares or options and thus a greater share of the club.
I think having a larger number of shard holders would be better but I can see the pragmatic point of the current approach. If does put the future of the club in very few hands.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

There have been some comments that if this is not agreed the club will go into administration. I cannot see that in either of the news articles in the club site. Where has that come from?
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Offside wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:38 pm There have been some comments that if this is not agreed the club will go into administration. I cannot see that in either of the news articles in the club site. Where has that come from?
From the doc link on article “ If the Resolutions are not passed then the proceeds of the Initial Subscription and the Further Subscription will not be received by the Company and the Board would have to find urgent alternative funding. Given the Company’s current and anticipated working capital requirements, the Directors believe that if the Resolutions are not passed they may have no choice but to appoint administrators to the Company.”
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Thanks
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

DMCS loan was due around the time RFU poached the coaching crew - and of course finding a new coaching setup isn’t going to be cheap.

Suspect a lot of the payoff helped settle part of that. This needs to pass but hopefully it does without drama
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Looks like we are a fair way up the creek, but we potentially have a paddle....

The RFU would love the whole pro game to fall apart & you could sat the pro game is doing all it can to make it a reality.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:23 pm Looks like we are a fair way up the creek, but we potentially have a paddle....

The RFU would love the whole pro game to fall apart & you could sat the pro game is doing all it can to make it a reality.
I think many clubs may be up the creek, and one by one, bar a couple of exceptions perhaps, we'll see how resilient each of their paddles are.