Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who should be the next Head Coach / DoR at Tigers?

Post by RunTigerRun »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:45 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:34 am I don’t know where to put this, but seemed relevant in some degree to this thread:

I’ve seen on Twitter an advertisement for a Women’s Head Coach at Tigers.

I thought Vicky MacQueen was the women's Head Coach? Are we losing her as well, have I missed something there?!? Apologies if it’s me being thick!

Link for anyone interested:
https://twitter.com/rugbyvacancies/stat ... mtgbTzYdXA
Could it be that she cannot commit those hours to the role?
Could be Tigerbeat, also I imagine the jobs in her role has increased with the Premier15s approval. You can understand the initial trepidation with Middleton leaving the Women’s side and the RFU haemorrhaging the men’s team of coaches…
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:26 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:45 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:34 am I don’t know where to put this, but seemed relevant in some degree to this thread:

I’ve seen on Twitter an advertisement for a Women’s Head Coach at Tigers.

I thought Vicky MacQueen was the women's Head Coach? Are we losing her as well, have I missed something there?!? Apologies if it’s me being thick!

Link for anyone interested:
https://twitter.com/rugbyvacancies/stat ... mtgbTzYdXA
Could it be that she cannot commit those hours to the role?
Could be Tigerbeat, also I imagine the jobs in her role has increased with the Premier15s approval. You can understand the initial trepidation with Middleton leaving the Women’s side and the RFU haemorrhaging the men’s team of coaches…
Don't think Vickily is going anywhere.

I clicked on the link and below is the "Main function" of the job.

Clearly states "supporting Head of Women’s Rugby" and Head of Women’s Rugby is Vicky MacQueen's job title

https://www.leicestertigers.com/player/vicky-macqueen

Seems to me that Head of Women’s Rugby (HWR) then this planned we'll have a HWR/HC like a DOR/HC system in the women's game.

Note it says specific focus on the Forwards, Scrum & Lineout, that suggests the HWR has a strength in the backs, like former England Fullback Vicky MacQueen
To work as the Head Coach for Leicester Tigers Women, leading on the development and delivery of a coherent season long coaching plan, with a specific delivery focus on Forward play, Scrum & Lineout. Supporting the Head of Women’s Rugby to ensure the season’s planning, organisation, focus, content and delivery of all rugby sessions and match days meet the highest professional standards on and off the pitch. Responsible for ensuring all coaching delivery strives to meet the overall visions and goals for the Club aligning with Tigers Core Values, (Driven, Passionate, Tough, Club First).
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

No chance Vicky is leaving. We will just need more experienced coaching resources for next season. It's gonna be a big leap in quality.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Well that does feel like a major hint.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Let's hope so!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

See you soon in Oadby

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Listening to the latest Rugby Pod, the subject of Gregor Townsend gets brought up and if he staying with Scotland or if he is moving on, Big Jim says Leicester as a destination to which Goody replies no pretty quickly. Given Goody is pretty connected at the club might there be anything in this or am I reading too much in the tea leaves.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

wigworth wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:28 pm Listening to the latest Rugby Pod, the subject of Gregor Townsend gets brought up and if he staying with Scotland or if he is moving on, Big Jim says Leicester as a destination to which Goody replies no pretty quickly. Given Goody is pretty connected at the club might there be anything in this or am I reading too much in the tea leaves.
Goody has connections (as does Jim) but as he is such a blabber mouth I would have thought they would keep him well away from any internal goings on
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:43 pm Well it has to be a Scot or at least one with a Scottish history.
It's Nicola Sturgeon
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Tykger wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:50 pm
TomWeston wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:43 pm Well it has to be a Scot or at least one with a Scottish history.
It's Nicola Sturgeon
:smt042 :smt043 :smt044 :smt042 :smt043
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

In the circular regarding the new investment they clearly state that the funding received from the RFU for our coaching staff has essentially all being ring-fenceed to fund hiring a new coaching team. Which to me clearly says we're not skimping on a cheap option
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Surprised that people favour GT when he won’t be available until after the WC, can’t see us having a good season if we have to wait until 23/24 is well underway. genuinely can’t see a realistic way to mitigate this and believe it’s vital to have the new team in situ for preseason.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigersunited wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:18 am Surprised that people favour GT when he won’t be available until after the WC, can’t see us having a good season if we have to wait until 23/24 is well underway. genuinely can’t see a realistic way to mitigate this and believe it’s vital to have the new team in situ for preseason.
Given the number of coaches we are going to be trying to recruit acquiring someone who knows Townsend's methods who could come in and start working with the plan he wants shouldn't be massively difficult. I remember Ackerman giving interviews about planning coaching sessions, recording videos for the coaches at Glaws to watch pre the session then having them record the session for him to watch back. That way he could oversee pre season at Glaws before he joined.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Hmm, not sure how well that worked.