Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Post by Offside »

I recall an interview with Dan Cole when he described Rugby being like a game of tack, paper, scissors. One ye is quick and light and run through another team, the next team steamroller them, etc. There were teams who played stylish running rugby fo longer periods than we did but their fans also had to cope with them being steamrollered by rolling maul yet. Tigers had great moments in attack and great moments in defence. Last week was a great example of that. Dan Mckellar sounds from his interviews, that he understands then need to balance in approach.
He also seems to have developed a coaching team at the Brumbies that he can step out of and if he does the same at Tigers we may have a plan for his replacement, if it is timed as expected. Our plan B, C & D all went at the same time and were probably not developed enough in the time they had to take the lead role. I am looking forward to the first games next season under Dan Mck already!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If I remember the Brumbies correctly under him they were one dimensional,but very good at that dimension. They also wasn’t your typical Oz team either in the way they played,solid but little flair. Or it could be that their maul game just stood out that much
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rugby- ... 5cnal.html

Confirmed we didn't have to pay a release fee for McKellar. So that means we should be able to afford it for the other coaching posts.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:31 am https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rugby- ... 5cnal.html

Confirmed we didn't have to pay a release fee for McKellar. So that means we should be able to afford it for the other coaching posts.
As has been shown with the appointment of Mckellar, just because we have the cash to splash out on coaches that does not mean we shall.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:12 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:31 am https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rugby- ... 5cnal.html

As has been shown with the appointment of Mckellar, just because we have the cash to splash out on coaches that does not mean we shall.
Yet from looking into it we decided he was the best candidate, decided to sign him. Then after that it seems Rugby Australia decided not to enforce a charge as they still want a good relationship with him

We will still be paying relocation fees for the family etc so won't be cheap bringing him here.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think McKeller on paper certainly seems to makes the most sense from a transfer pov
Very similar type of coach to Borthwick in every area nearly
Extremely highly rated by Aus touted as Rennie replacement
Have 4 years on paper guaranteed as no way Aus rugby has the money to pay out Eddie from a 4 years contract.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:30 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:12 pm

Yet from looking into it we decided he was the best candidate, decided to sign him. Then after that it seems Rugby Australia decided not to enforce a charge as they still want a good relationship with him

We will still be paying relocation fees for the family etc so won't be cheap bringing him here.
Seems a shrewd move to me.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:54 pm I think McKeller on paper certainly seems to makes the most sense from a transfer pov
Have 4 years on paper guaranteed as no way Aus rugby has the money to pay out Eddie from a 4 years contract.
I’m sure they have put breaks in that ,if they havnt then they are complete imbeciles!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:16 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:54 pm I think McKeller on paper certainly seems to makes the most sense from a transfer pov
I’m sure they have put breaks in that ,if they havnt then they are complete imbeciles!
It’s Aus rugby
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:16 pm
It’s Aus rugby
True lol
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/mat ... /36302.htm

Matt Toomua interview on McKellar and Tigers
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm https://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/mat ... /36302.htm

Matt Toomua interview on McKellar and Tigers
"They're never the happiest blokes in Leicester" - he knows us well.

McKellar does sound of a similar mould to Borthwick. Let's hope he's as good.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Given how highly Toomua speaks of McKellar, and Tigers, I wonder what odds of Toomua coming back next season, potentially as player/skills coach role? Wouldn't be first choice 12, but would give another option at 10 and 12, especially if Gopperth is off as he is on 1 + 1 deal.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 pm Given how highly Toomua speaks of McKellar, and Tigers, I wonder what odds of Toomua coming back next season, potentially as player/skills coach role? Wouldn't be first choice 12, but would give another option at 10 and 12, especially if Gopperth is off as he is on 1 + 1 deal.
Wondered the same myself, wonder if the rolling maul lads think similarly? He's the guest on their pod this evening
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Don’t pretend to know as much as many on here. Only to add that after my initial disappointment (probably based on the talk of rock star coaches) this appointment is growing on me.

An Australian Borths I guess.

One question - when do you think we are likely to see other coaching appointments?