Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Who should be the next Head Coach / DoR at Tigers?

Post by westwinds31 »

My vote went to Cotter, but would love to see Townsend as Head coach. I can't see it happening as he wouldn't come in until after the World Cup, so it's another season of temporary coaches/no pre-season or getting his entourage in place. Plus with Scotland doing so well, surely the SRU will want him to stay on ? I guess Gregor may want to move on anyway.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I thought GT said in a press conference a couple if weeks ago that there had been no contact from Tigers about the job, which would be a surprise if he is ibeing considered given the timelines outlined in various sources abd how far along the process we seem to be. To me no contact equals not in consideration. If he was there are other, better ways to play a straight bat and sidestep the question than saying he has had no contact.
As Good As It Gets
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

It could be that the approach didn't come directly from Tigers, but through an intermediary (another agent or the consultants) and so he can - on a technicality - say that he's had no contact from Tigers themselves.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The shareholder circular just published includes some interesting information about how we intend to use the Borthwick/Sinfield money:
"Whilst a financial settlement for their release was agreed with the RFU, it is expected that most of that settlement will be used for hiring replacements, which if employed from outside the existing coaching team, will potentially require contracts to be bought out."
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scuttle wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:41 am I thought GT said in a press conference a couple if weeks ago that there had been no contact from Tigers about the job, which would be a surprise if he is ibeing considered given the timelines outlined in various sources abd how far along the process we seem to be. To me no contact equals not in consideration. If he was there are other, better ways to play a straight bat and sidestep the question than saying he has had no contact.
What he said wasn't a total denial, there was enough language not being direct in that there could well have been contact
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Why would a currently successful international coach leave a job from a country of his birth to take a step down to a club ?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:25 pm Why would a currently successful international coach leave a job from a country of his birth to take a step down to a club ?
Because he was already leaving Scotland before our interest
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:48 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:25 pm Why would a currently successful international coach leave a job from a country of his birth to take a step down to a club ?
Because he was already leaving Scotland before our interest
He appears to be resigned to the fact as the SRU haven't been forthcoming with a new contract though that might of course change if the 6N keeps progressing the way it has been.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

fentiger wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:32 pm Image
I keep seeing little things that point toward Rassie… I must admit I’m still not a fan of this prospect.

The key thing will be the rest of the coaching team around the new boss - I wonder who that might be for each of the potentials?!?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:32 am
fentiger wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:32 pm Image
I keep seeing little things that point toward Rassie… I must admit I’m still not a fan of this prospect.

The key thing will be the rest of the coaching team around the new boss - I wonder who that might be for each of the potentials?!?
I dunno if you hear Dan McKellar talk he's very considered and thoughtful. Given his specialities and experiences he feels a very like for like option.

I agree the assistant coaches are going to be a significant factor. If it's McKellar the forwards would be well covered but defence and attack would need some support.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Erasmus would be a disaster.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Erasmus would be a disaster
How on earth can you say that? An international, world cup winning coach with a great CV.
The only black mark he has against him is the complaint against refereeing and who hasn't felt the same as him after
poor officiating has cost us? Any lingering concerns about that episode will/would be sorted on interview.
Whoever is appointed, you don't really know how it's going to turn out, much like a marriage.
Certainly, an inexperienced coach would be an even bigger risk.
If he is appointed to Tigers we will all get behind him as we did with Borthwick. who, let's face it, was not the choice of many, especially after what went on at Saracens. Some even predicted that he would be a disaster.
I hope and trust that wise heads will rule this time too.
A life long Tiger
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Smudge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:24 pm
Erasmus would be a disaster
How on earth can you say that? An international, world cup winning coach with a great CV.
The only black mark he has against him is the complaint against refereeing and who hasn't felt the same as him after
poor officiating has cost us? Any lingering concerns about that episode will/would be sorted on interview.
Whoever is appointed, you don't really know how it's going to turn out, much like a marriage.
Certainly, an inexperienced coach would be an even bigger risk.
If he is appointed to Tigers we will all get behind him as we did with Borthwick. who, let's face it, was not the choice of many, especially after what went on at Saracens. Some even predicted that he would be a disaster.
I hope and trust that wise heads will rule this time too.
Actually I thought Borthwick was a great choice, spent years telling people MOC was a dud and and was serially disappointed with Mauger and Murphy. I am a fan of Cheika and Cotter, and think Townsend could do a good job. Of course, Erasmus' referee blag can be excused, by some, as a blip, not a flaw. But I'd rather not, ta.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I cannot see how there is any serious money for this job at the moment .. it’s now even more apparent why the club bit the RFUs hand off when they paid out for our coaches.
The rest of World Rugby must be in a perilous financial position if we can afford any top names.