Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Post by chris111 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:47 pm Weber classified authority as charismatic or traditional or rational-legal. Sports leaders/coaches/managers are the latter, and some are the former.
Nice to see a Weberian here - not a common sighting on rugby forums! Didn’t he talk about charisma being derived from “an extraordinary gift of grace”? Not sure if he was the originator of the phrase, or whether he adopted it from (presumably) a theological source.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:37 am
jgriffin wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:47 pm Weber classified authority as charismatic or traditional or rational-legal. Sports leaders/coaches/managers are the latter, and some are the former.
Nice to see a Weberian here - not a common sighting on rugby forums! Didn’t he talk about charisma being derived from “an extraordinary gift of grace”? Not sure if he was the originator of the phrase, or whether he adopted it from (presumably) a theological source.
An extraordinary gift of grave or THE extraordinary gift of grace? :smt002
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

If he gets the sort of results that keep him at the top of the list for one of big nations top jobs, then you’d assume things have gone well here, I’d take that. It will also bode well for our next search if the last two incumbents went on to manage their home nations off the back of the work they did at Tigers….. should mean we have a wide pool to choose from.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chris111 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:37 am
More of a Frankfurt School meself.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mike Blair leaves Edinburgh to focus on being just an attack coach
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:06 pm Mike Blair leaves Edinburgh to focus on being just an attack coach
I Just saw that RB, could be worth a look. Maybe Andrea / Dan will be around at the Ro16 game in April to ask the question?!?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:06 pm Mike Blair leaves Edinburgh to focus on being just an attack coach
Wouldn't mind seeing him at Tigers, Edinburgh play some nice rugby with back line that doesn't look incredible on paper
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: 22/23 Injury & Suspension list

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:26 pm
sapajo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:27 pm Anyone knows what is the score with Cronin?
Good to see you! What’s your thoughts on the new head coach?
Thanks Scott, time will tell most folks seems ecstatic over this appointment. For me I feel like we have been at this juncture before when we signed Borthwick. For me the club have decided the key selection criteria was to sign someone very similar in Mckellar. The club ramped up expectations by allegedly interviewing some big names but it was only a distraction as it allowed the club to cling onto the majority of their Borthwick & Sir Kev cash windfall.. I do worry that history will repeat itself in as much that Australia shall come calling at a very in opportune time and then we shall be back to square one yet again. I would be happy if Mckellar turns out to be a Borthwick plus, so that in addition to our forward orientated and strong set piece we shall now develop a highly effective attacking game through the backs with ball in hand and our kicking game is more variable and our handling skills are vastly improved.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:52 pm
sapajo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:27 pm Anyone knows what is the score with Cronin?
Thanks Scott, time will tell most folks seems ecstatic over this appointment. For me I feel like we have been at this juncture before when we signed Borthwick. For me the club have decided the key selection criteria was to sign someone very similar in Mckellar. The club ramped up expectations by allegedly interviewing some big names but it was only a distraction as it allowed the club to cling onto the majority of their Borthwick & Sir Kev cash windfall.. I do worry that history will repeat itself in as much that Australia shall come calling at a very in opportune time and then we shall be back to square one yet again. I would be happy if Mckellar turns out to be a Borthwick plus, so that in addition to our forward orientated and strong set piece we shall now develop a highly effective attacking game through the backs with ball in hand and our kicking game is more variable and our handling skills are vastly improved.
Good post ,hard to argue with any of that but this is very worrying reading this post which I've copy and pasted

"Very pleased to read that he has cost us absolutely nothing to get him released from his Aussie contract according to WA today - "RA’s focus appears now to be making sure it doesn’t burn bridges with the departing 46-year-old. The organisation did not stand in the way of his request for an early release, and did not pursue a break fee from Leicester." Not so pleased to read in the same article that they still view him as the top man for the national side sometime in the future - “The thing now is to make sure we stay connected to him when he is overseas and keep working with him, and hopefully we see him back in Australia at the right time.” Only to be expected though."

Not standing in the way of an early release or waiving a break fee most likely means that they expect it to be reciprocated if Jones bombs and they want him back. It's a 4 year contract which I'm sure will have breaks in both sides but I can't help feel that with Jones short shelf life (England excluded) that we will soon see another Borthwick situation
Last edited by Scott1 on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’ll be happy if we win the league having been top all season and demolish Saints twice en route and go deep in Europe.

Couldn’t give a monkeys if that was more BorthBall style Rugby or something “more entertaining”

It’s worth noting that some of the Rugby last season was divine albeit with Nadolo doing Nadolo things for 4-5 months helping no end.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm

Good post ,hard to argue with any of that but this is very worrying reading this post which I've copy and pasted

"Very pleased to read that he has cost us absolutely nothing to get him released from his Aussie contract according to WA today - "RA’s focus appears now to be making sure it doesn’t burn bridges with the departing 46-year-old. The organisation did not stand in the way of his request for an early release, and did not pursue a break fee from Leicester." Not so pleased to read in the same article that they still view him as the top man for the national side sometime in the future - “The thing now is to make sure we stay connected to him when he is overseas and keep working with him, and hopefully we see him back in Australia at the right time.” Only to be expected though."

Not standing in the way of an early release or waiving a break fee most likely means that they expect it to be reciprocated if Jones bombs and they want him back. It's a 4 year contract which I'm sure will have breaks in both sides but I can't help feel that with Jones short shelf life (England excluded) that we will soon see another Borthwick situation
I just don’t get this argument if you accept that the Tigers job is not the be all and end all for coaching.

If that is accepted then surely we should find the best possible candidate that will bring us success (or at least in the boards view, have the best chance of any candidate).

If that success means he is lined up for bigger and more high profile global jobs so be it.

I’d rather have someone taht is in demand for bringing us success that some old duffer that sees coaching tigers as the height of his ambition.

You can’t control what happens outside the club and to second guess decisions based on how EJ does is not a credible basis for appointing a new HC
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:42 pm

I just don’t get this argument if you accept that the Tigers job is not the be all and end all for coaching.

If that is accepted then surely we should find the best possible candidate that will bring us success (or at least in the boards view, have the best chance of any candidate).

If that success means he is lined up for bigger and more high profile global jobs so be it.

I’d rather have someone taht is in demand for bringing us success that some old duffer that sees coaching tigers as the height of his ambition.

You can’t control what happens outside the club and to second guess decisions based on how EJ does is not a credible basis for appointing a new HC
Didn't say that the club did. That's just my take on it ,in a perfect world Jones does very well at Oz and stays there until post 2027 RWC and McKellar does exceptionally well here. But knowing our luck Jones will bomb after a year and we will be getting the "Oz national team were too hard to turn down" speech. Let's see
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:47 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:42 pm

Didn't say that the club did. That's just my take on it ,in a perfect world Jones does very well at Oz and stays there until post 2027 RWC and McKellar does exceptionally well here. But knowing our luck Jones will bomb after a year and we will be getting the "Oz national team were too hard to turn down" speech. Let's see
👍
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

So what are we thinking about the coaching setup then?

Head Coach - Dan McKellar
Forwards coach - Geoff Parling?
Attack Coach - Mike Blair?
Defence Coach - Matt Everard
Scrum Coach - Tom Harrison
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 pm So what are we thinking about the coaching setup then?

Head Coach - Dan McKellar
Forwards coach - Geoff Parling?
Attack Coach - Mike Blair?
Defence Coach - Matt Everard
Scrum Coach - Tom Harrison
Is Brett Deacon not staying? He's our forwards coach. McKellar is a pretty good direct replacement for Borthwick.

Defence and attack are the vacancies. Mike Blair would be a really good pick up for attack. Matt Everard has experience as a transition coach so he might go back to working with the academy. Matt Smith will probably remain as backs coach.

I won't be surprised if Laurie Fisher ended up arriving in some capacity.