Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Dan McKellar to join Leicester Tigers as Head Coach

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Borthwick is a superb analytical coach, but I think he recognised he's not hugely charismatic and would need that in his coaching team: hence Sinfield.

Be interesting to see how that works out this time if McKellar is as Borthwick-esque as is suggested.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Is charisma needed?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:01 am
Now I might be wrong and a kicking coach would be useful, generally these guys focus on the mechanics and not the strategy, because we have some young guys coming through and want to fine tune their skill sets. I'd wait to see who the incoming attack and defence coaches are and what IP we have on the coaching team first though.
I think some of the more modern "kicking coaches" at clubs are focusing on the strategic side of the kicking game. An actual "mechanics" kicking coach (typified by your Alred types) is probably best on an individual/consultant type basis depending on who and what needs addressing.

Dan Vickers is probably the best example I know of and is at Saracens. His role as described on their website is:
As well as kicking technique and tactics, Vickers’ role includes work under the high ball
So encompassing all of technical kicking, tactical strategy and kick receiving.

:smt001
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:46 am Is charisma needed?
Yes, people follow chrisma without even realising
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:57 am
Which is fine as long as the charismatic person is also competent! :smt003
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:38 am Borthwick is a superb analytical coach, but I think he recognised he's not hugely charismatic and would need that in his coaching team: hence Sinfield.

Be interesting to see how that works out this time if McKellar is as Borthwick-esque as is suggested.
After watching a couple of interviews with McKellar, one thing is he comes across as knowledgeable and insightful, whilst also adding a personal side to his comments. He strikes me as a similar coach to Borthwick, but one who has more of the communication and media side of things.

It’s interesting that a lot of the media coverage in the England squad is a combination of Steve and Kev - another reason why Borthwick has taken the figures he has. They round out all the roles needed (media etc.) and allow him to focus on the planning aspect, and doing media when necessary.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:10 am
Yes - history is littered with examples of dangers of following charismatics!

Charisma is also frequently mischaracterised as being overtly ‘showy’. There are quieter forms of charisma - in terms of leadership in sports, think Martin Johnson, Mike Brierley, Gareth Southgate, Sarins Wiegman. None known for ostentatious shoutiness - but outstanding leaders in their own way. Steve Borthwick is potentially going to be another example, and if Dan McKellar is cut from the same cloth, I’m very much looking forward to his arrival.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

chris111 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:17 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:10 am

Yes - history is littered with examples of dangers of following charismatics!

Charisma is also frequently mischaracterised as being overtly ‘showy’. There are quieter forms of charisma - in terms of leadership in sports, think Martin Johnson, Mike Brierley, Gareth Southgate, Sarins Wiegman. None known for ostentatious shoutiness - but outstanding leaders in their own way. Steve Borthwick is potentially going to be another example, and if Dan McKellar is cut from the same cloth, I’m very much looking forward to his arrival.
Every charismatic person I have ever personally known has never been showy, in fact far from it, but yes history is full of BAD charismatic people
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The coach that fits your description of charismatic for me is Rob Baxter. He has achieved much but has always been respectful to the opposition, straight talking to the press and media. Above all, he's a great, reserved personality who his teams and supporters would follow to the ends of the earth.
A life long Tiger
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Smudge wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:26 pm The coach that fits your description of charismatic for me is Rob Baxter. He has achieved much but has always been respectful to the opposition, straight talking to the press and media. Above all, he's a great, reserved personality who his teams and supporters would follow to the ends of the earth.
Spot on
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Smudge wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:26 pm The coach that fits your description of charismatic for me is Rob Baxter. He has achieved much but has always been respectful to the opposition, straight talking to the press and media. Above all, he's a great, reserved personality who his teams and supporters would follow to the ends of the earth.
Not sure,seems two faced to me. Great in front of the media but was then caught on officials mic I believe showing a totally different side to him
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

In my very humble opinion, Baxter is the perfect example of being a good leader without charisma, as is Borthwick.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I suppose down to definitions. I think we would agree that authority is very important and Borthwick and Baxter both have that- is that a form of charisma? Splitting hairs now but I would think so.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Charisma and authority have very different meanings. Charisma can help give authority, but it is not the same thing.
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Happy Charismas to all...