Tigers support at home

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigers support at home

Post by Smudge »

As a season ticket holder for many years I have been aware of a slow change in the home support but watching an old game on video today, it brought it home to me just how much. The game I watched and greatly enjoyed was the last home game of the 1999/2000 season against Bath. The noise, from 17,000 was deafening! Beating Bath is always pleasurable but this was especially good having been behind at one time. But the resulting win, 43-25 was glorious. Some great players for Tigers and a lot of top chaps for Bath, including our dear departed head coach of the last couple of years. Both Jonno and Cockers spent time in the sin bin and referee Ed Morrison seemed to do all he could to see we didn't win. The displeasure of the home crowd at some decisions was also deafening. Neil Back was man of the match. If you have access to this, it's great entertainment.
I certainly hope that our home supporters can rise to that level again.
A life long Tiger
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers support at home

Post by mol2 »

The South Africa win was an almost unbelievable atmosphere.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:43 pm The South Africa win was an almost unbelievable atmosphere.
Agreed. That was amazing
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Best night game ever.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:26 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:43 pm The South Africa win was an almost unbelievable atmosphere.
Agreed. That was amazing
High up in your namesake I thought it would collapse under the stamping feet!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

There are so many incredible matches. The South Africa one is certainly one of the best. The last play try v Freddie Tuilagi v Gloucester was extremely loud and of course last season’s semi v Saints.
The last gasp win v Stade Frances when Tom Varndell score was particularly loud.
If we were to discuss the best ever atmosphere for a Tigers game it would have to Tigers v Munster in Cardiff: there was no point trying to have a conversation with anyone inside the ground as the noise was phenomenal: it was also famous for the announcer bellowing out:” If you look up now the Red Arrows are flying past.”
They’d closed the roof.
I think those who have supported Tigers at Welford Road for over 45 years could produce an almost endless list: some of the Barbarians games would be in their and The Midlands win v the All Blacks with a Dusty Hare drop goal from about the halfway line on the Members’ Wing!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Smudge wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:08 pm As a season ticket holder for many years I have been aware of a slow change in the home support but watching an old game on video today, it brought it home to me just how much. The game I watched and greatly enjoyed was the last home game of the 1999/2000 season against Bath. The noise, from 17,000 was deafening! Beating Bath is always pleasurable but this was especially good having been behind at one time. But the resulting win, 43-25 was glorious. Some great players for Tigers and a lot of top chaps for Bath, including our dear departed head coach of the last couple of years. Both Jonno and Cockers spent time in the sin bin and referee Ed Morrison seemed to do all he could to see we didn't win. The displeasure of the home crowd at some decisions was also deafening. Neil Back was man of the match. If you have access to this, it's great entertainment.
I certainly hope that our home supporters can rise to that level again.
The proper leagues helped the atmosphere because the games were more important. That match for instance was the culmination of a great year where we retained the title and were on a massive high. In the play off era only a semi final really surpasses the importance of those matches and nothing really is comparable to the importance of the normal games.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!