6 Nations 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by Tigers86asw »

One of Borthwick’s great qualities as a coach was fixing our weaknesses. Time will tell if he can do the same for England.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LittleBigG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:22 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:10 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 pm Terrible missed tackle by Dombrant on VDW, he would have stood a better chance of making him drop the ball if he had kissed him. :smt005 Think I would have selected Ludlam at 8, with Earl at 7 and Curry at 6, or Chessum, with Iseke at 5. Anyway lets see what happens for next game.
Conveniently missing out the other 5 or 6 dreadful tackles that led to two of their tries ,including at least 3 from our own Tigers! For me Dombrandt was very good bar the missed tackle and dropped restart. The trouble with aggressive running lines is that if you’re a millisecond out they bounce out. And 2 didn’t stick. I’d drop Curry and play Ludlum,Earl,Dombrandt next week
The replay from the end of the pitch, imo, showed that the other missed tackles came from VDM's brilliance... Dombrandt should have flattened him (they probably would have scored anyway but that's "probably" as opposed to "definitely")

FWIW I think Dombrandt is the best EQ 8, but he's gonna want to burn the tape of today's match
The others were as bad imo,the tackling all round today was pretty dire. I’m just making the point that the Tigers are excluded and Dombrandt has become the scapegoat ,he should never have got that far,for both tries!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 pm Terrible missed tackle by Dombrant on VDW, he would have stood a better chance of making him drop the ball if he had kissed him. :smt005 Think I would have selected Ludlam at 8, with Earl at 7 and Curry at 6, or Chessum, with Iseke at 5. Anyway lets see what happens for next game.
Conveniently missing out the other 5 or 6 dreadful tackles that led to two of their tries ,including at least 3 from our own Tigers! For me Dombrandt was very good bar the missed tackle and dropped restart. The trouble with aggressive running lines is that if you’re a millisecond out they bounce out. And 2 didn’t stick. I’d drop Curry and play Ludlum,Earl,Dombrandt next week
The replay from the end of the pitch, imo, showed that the other missed tackles came from VDM's brilliance... Dombrandt should have flattened him (they probably would have scored anyway but that's "probably" as opposed to "definitely")

FWIW I think Dombrandt is the best EQ 8, but he's gonna want to burn the tape of today's match
I can see the smoke still hanging around the stadium, or was that the Millennium?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hilarious on here,but not surprising at all
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Any injury news for Italy? Anyone expected back?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

All these turnstile tackles were dreadful!
https://twitter.com/ScrumESPN/status/16 ... 9443118080
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I remember a lad having a bit of a shunt outside the factory. Shell shocked and ashen he reported to his boss, one Tam Clarke. A dour Scott.

Tam took pity on the lad and mashed him a strong cup of sweet tea and poured him a stiff whisky from a half bottle flask he kept in his top drawer.

The lad thanked Tam and poured the whisky into his tea.

Tam looked at him horrified. "You've done two things wrong there laddie. You've ruined the :censored: tea and you've ruined the :censored: whisky"

So it is with the RFU. In appointing Borthwick they've ruined England and they've ruined the Tigers.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:24 pm

I can see the smoke still hanging around the stadium, or was that the Millennium?
That was one of the most glaring missed schoolboy attempts a professional player will ever attempt to make a tackle, on refection, save that 7 points and we would have won. Are you just defending it for argument sake, together with your rude snide comments? Good night.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:36 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:24 pm

That was one of the most glaring missed schoolboy attempts a professional player will ever attempt to make a tackle, on refection, save that 7 points and we would have won. Are you just defending it for argument sake, together with your rude snide comments? Good night.
Absolute nonsense! As per,good night
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:28 pm All these turnstile tackles were dreadful!
Looks bad at full speed but I honestly think you're doing VDM a disservice by not giving him at least a bit of credit! He's a world class winger and mugged a bunch of defenders off (would you be giving Watson the credit if he did this for us? I know I would!)

The reason why Dombrandt is getting stick is because WDM virtually ran into him, rather than stepping off like he did the other attempts. Dombrandt was trying to tackle and stop the offload (which he has undoubtedly been coached to do...) but in this instance what was actually required was the guy to be cut in half (the offload would have gone nowhere as his support was about 20m away!)

Just my opinion of course!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LittleBigG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:37 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:28 pm All these turnstile tackles were dreadful!
Looks bad at full speed but I honestly think you're doing VDM a disservice by not giving him at least a bit of credit! He's a world class winger and mugged a bunch of defenders off (would you be giving Watson the credit if he did this for us? I know I would!)

The reason why Dombrandt is getting stick is because WDM virtually ran into him, rather than stepping off like he did the other attempts. Dombrandt was trying to tackle and stop the offload (which he has undoubtedly been coached to do...) but in this instance what was actually required was the guy to be cut in half (the offload would have gone nowhere as his support was about 20m away!)

They all should get stick tbh,and not just for that try too. It’s unfair that Dombrandt is carrying the can is all I’m saying. Poor all round,the damage was already done!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I just wonder though if Steward was the last man if the rhetoric would be the same,somehow I doubt it! He was very poor tonight and missed two important tackles
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:39 pm
LittleBigG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:37 pm

They all should get stick tbh,and not just for that try too. It’s unfair that Dombrandt is carrying the can is all I’m saying. Poor all round,the damage was already done!
He should carry the can for that try, but you're right, there were about another 20 missed tackles in the rest of the match that could also have won it for us - 100% NOT blaming Dombrandt for the L here!!
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Diagnostics. A bit to work on a and a bit to fine tune. Today was full or emotion and energy; sadly lacking in previous England performances, technique and structure probably suffered. Once things settle we will get the right blend.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:14 pm Does anyone think Itoje has fallen off a cliff too? What happened to the player that at one stage you could arguably call the worlds best lock?
Think he has peaked and hit his level, previously thought he would be an England legend and leader in the sort of Johnno mould but seems to be missing that aggressive side to his game. Still a good player tho and him and Chessum should make a good team!!