6 Nations 2023

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:41 pm I just wonder though if Steward was the last man if the rhetoric would be the same,somehow I doubt it! He was very poor tonight and missed two important tackles
3 by my count.

Dombrandt has skills but not an international 8 - doesn’t do the hard yard stuff well enough …… all I’m opinion , I don’t declare it to be the truth 🤷‍♂️
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I suppose the only good thing is that Borths has time,this 6N and the RWC are essentially free hits. But it won't last forever, the vultures will soon be circling
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:04 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:41 pm I just wonder though if Steward was the last man if the rhetoric would be the same,somehow I doubt it! He was very poor tonight and missed two important tackles
3 by my count.

Dombrandt has skills but not an international 8 - doesn’t do the hard yard stuff well enough …… all I’m opinion , I don’t declare it to be the truth 🤷‍♂️
I think you could have a point there,that's why Borths played Curry and Ludlam.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not sure fitness was the issue as some have said.
Kick the ball away and you get to do a lot of tackling.

The backs running with the ball are better trained to go at speed over a longer distance than the bulky forwards who are the ones best suited to making tackles and boshing over short distances.

Keep the ball and tire the opposition forwards.

Some of the less experienced internationals have begun to discover the cost of simple handling, positional and tackling errors are exposed ruthlessly in the international game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don’t know what Borths does. I’d be tempted to go the same team next week with just Earl in for Curry. One thing I’ll say though is that he’s made a terrible decision making Farrell captain and has boxed himself into a corner. Is that the Jones stubbornness that’s rubbed off on him? I don’t know but it’s a huge mistake,should’ve been Genge
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The centre pairing malfunctioned as expected by many. Out of place in defence. At least Smith seemed empowered to play the ball at fly half.

Going for the same team with one back row change would be like using a different socket when it’s a power cut.

England cricket did something similar a few years ago. The batsmen failed so they changed a bowler.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:44 pm The centre pairing malfunctioned as expected by many. Out of place in defence. At least Smith seemed empowered to play the ball at fly half.

Going for the same team with one back row change would be like using a different socket when it’s a power cut.

England cricket did something similar a few years ago. The batsmen failed so they changed a bowler.....
So what’s your MF then if Kelly and Slade are still out? Bearing in mind that captain Farrell isn’t being dropped
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok rubbish result, brother in law being Scottish won't help.

However some saying it's the same as EJ. Were they watching the same game?!?

Our attack under Nick Evans looked promising, we did a lot of things better than under Jones.

Our defence was poor (at times). However we have a brand new defence coach. Sinfield has had 2 weeks ONLY to put his ideas for defence over.

Two of the tries were from breaks in the midfield. Now if we'd been planning on this midfield for weeks it's one thing, as it is 3 of the leading midfield contenders are injured (Kelly, Slade & Daly) Farrell was a couple of times running as a 10 in defence.

With their first try Farrell stepped in. With the DVDM solo try the initial gap is Farrell being slightly narrow getting stuck the wrong side of a Scottish player. Let's not destroy a guy who probably spent a week and a half of the last two weeks in the new defensive structure running at 10, then last minute pushed one out to 12, for getting his positioning slightly out.

This was a painful loss but to say it's more of the same is way off the mark.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I get that Sinfield only has 2 weeks in.
But I don't think our defence this season was great
I also think our defence last season was more down to forwards work rate rather than system.

He's a new coach and I think he's been hyped up way too much, too soon.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 pm England looked much better in attack. They struggled there as soon as JVP went off.

People often talk about Farrell in attack but having a slow inside centre is such an issue defensively. Two of Scotland’s came from poor errors from Farrell and Marchant in defense.

Not convinced by Ben Curry. Opensides should never miss tackles.

Chessum was excellent, as was Ludlam.

Borthwick will be worried by the lack of success or England’s maul. At the end they butchered it and looked now where near close to scoring.

We looked cooked at the end.Walters won’t be with us for much longer.
Better in attack, why would he then want WW - surely he would want to keep Nick?
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

think farell needs to take his mates to tackle school :smt001
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Look on the bright side. Even if England get through the first stage of the World Cup, on this form they won’t top the table, so it won’t be Eddie’s team that destroys them in the quarters.

I’ve fallen out of love with England in the past couple of years, and I despair of the RFU.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:58 pm Ok rubbish result, brother in law being Scottish won't help.

However some saying it's the same as EJ. Were they watching the same game?!?

Our attack under Nick Evans looked promising, we did a lot of things better than under Jones.

Our defence was poor (at times). However we have a brand new defence coach. Sinfield has had 2 weeks ONLY to put his ideas for defence over.

Two of the tries were from breaks in the midfield. Now if we'd been planning on this midfield for weeks it's one thing, as it is 3 of the leading midfield contenders are injured (Kelly, Slade & Daly) Farrell was a couple of times running as a 10 in defence.

With their first try Farrell stepped in. With the DVDM solo try the initial gap is Farrell being slightly narrow getting stuck the wrong side of a Scottish player. Let's not destroy a guy who probably spent a week and a half of the last two weeks in the new defensive structure running at 10, then last minute pushed one out to 12, for getting his positioning slightly out.

This was a painful loss but to say it's more of the same is way off the mark.
You think he will keep Nick Evans or want Wigglesworth?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:03 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 pm England looked much better in attack. They struggled there as soon as JVP went off.

People often talk about Farrell in attack but having a slow inside centre is such an issue defensively. Two of Scotland’s came from poor errors from Farrell and Marchant in defense.

Not convinced by Ben Curry. Opensides should never miss tackles.

Chessum was excellent, as was Ludlam.

Borthwick will be worried by the lack of success or England’s maul. At the end they butchered it and looked now where near close to scoring.

We looked cooked at the end.Walters won’t be with us for much longer.
Better in attack, why would he then want WW - surely he would want to keep Nick?
Didn’t say he would- said he would want Walters due to England tiring in the last 20. Hope they keep Evans- England looked much much better in attack.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Did anyone else notice the blocking by Scottish hooker on (possibly) Farrell (hard to make out) right at the start of the move? Still a great try though.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina