Clare
West
Hurd
Henderson
Liebenberg
Cracknell
Simmons
Brown

Really tempted to go 6-2 bench vs Sarries.

All players may be a bit rusty so think it'll be an interesting one to see who hits the ground running.

I'm also giving Liebenberg a rest. Martin has been immense when we've seen him, but I'd like to see him at 6 with Wells & Green having the experience in our 2nd row for this one.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Sunday 19th February 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by RunTigerRun »

I can see something along the lines of:

Whitcombe, Montoya, Heyes
Martin, Henderson
Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese
Youngs, Pollard
Scott, Porter
Simmons, Atkinson, Potter

Clare, West, Hurd, Wells, Cracknell, Whiteley, Cokanasiga, Brown

Tough between Edwards, Wolstenholme and Whiteley for #21.
#23 could be anyone of Brown, Ashton, Murimurivalu, Saumaki.
#22 between Gopperth and Cokanasiga and other starting backs sees Phil get the spot for me.

For me, this team is a strong side to put out at home vs a depleted Sarries.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:06 pm I can see something along the lines of:

Martin, Henderson
Youngs, Pollard
Scott, Porter

#22 between Gopperth and Cokanasiga and other starting backs sees Phil get the spot for me.

What about Watson, we have him back I think?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:06 pm I can see something along the lines of:

Martin, Henderson
Youngs, Pollard
Scott, Porter

What about Watson, we have him back I think?
Do not think we do, think he was retained by england as part of the 26 man training squad for the week.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

England training squad to face Wales
Forwards: Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Ben Curry, Alex Dombrandt, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Nick Isiekwe, Maro Itoje, Lewis Ludlam, Will Stuart, Mako Vunipola, Jack Walker, Jack Willis.

Backs: Henry Arundell, Owen Farrell, Ollie Hassell-Collins, Ollie Lawrence, Max Malins, Joe Marchant, Alex Mitchell, Henry Slade, Marcus Smith, Freddie Steward, Jack van Poortvliet, Anthony Watson.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Julián Montoya will captain the side at Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Sunday afternoon.

The Head Coach welcomes back Ben Youngs and Joe Heyes (England), Cameron Henderson (Scotland) and Tommy Reffell (Wales), who were released back to the club during the first fallow week of this season’s Guinness Six Nations.

Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Jack van Poortvliet, Freddie Steward and Anthony Watson are unavailable for selection after being retained by England for a week-long training camp.

Mike Brown will make his Leicester Tigers debut at full-back in a back-three which includes Harry Potter and Chris Ashton, with the latter to play his first game in seven weeks after returning from injury.

It’s a milestone midfield pairing with Matt Scott set for his 50th starting appearance for the club alongside Jimmy Gopperth, who will run out for his 200th Premiership appearance.

Youngs and Handré Pollard are the half-back pairing.

Tom West is named for his first starting appearance in his second match after debuting off the bench in the club’s last outing - against Northampton Saints - three weeks ago.

West and Heyes are the props and Julián Montoya the hooker in the front-row, with George Martin and Henderson the locks in the starting tight five.

The 21-year-old Martin will make his 50th Leicester Tigers appearance in his first start for 10 weeks after making his return from injury in Round 16 at Mattioli Woods Welford Road.

Hanro Liebenberg and Olly Cracknell are the flankers and Jasper Wiese the No.8 in the starting back-row.

Charlie Clare, Francois van Wyk, Will Hurd, Eli Snyman and Tommy Reffell are the replacement forwards and Sam Edwards, Charlie Atkinson and Harry Simmons the replacement backs.

STARTING XV

15 Mike Brown *
14 Chris Ashton [23]
13 Matt Scott [58]
12 Jimmy Gopperth [9]
11 Harry Potter [57]
10 Handré Pollard [5]
9 Ben Youngs (vc) [294]

1 Tom West [1]
2 Julián Montoya (c) [34]
3 Joe Heyes [114]
4 George Martin [49]
5 Cameron Henderson [27]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [75]
7 Olly Cracknell [15]
8 Jasper Wiese [51]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Charlie Clare [69]
17 Francois van Wyk [26]
18 Will Hurd [19]
19 Eli Snyman [28]
20 Tommy Reffell [92]
21 Sam Edwards [9]
22 Charlie Atkinson [10]
23 Harry Simmons [30]

* Leicester Tigers debut
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ALEX GOODE WILL BECOME THE FIRST MAN TO MAKE 350 APPEARANCES FOR SARACENS IN THE PROFESSIONAL ERA WHEN HE LEADS THE TEAM OUT AGAINST LEICESTER TIGERS ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
The 34-year-old, who broke the appearance record in October when he ran out for the Men in Black for the 339th time, is reaching yet another landmark this weekend in a crucial Gallagher Premiership match at Mattioli Woods Welford Road.

Director of Rugby Mark McCall has named an exciting squad, and despite none of the England internationals being eligible to play there is still plenty of experience across the 23 for the trip to Leicester.

Eroni Mawi, Kapeli Pifeleti and Marco Riccioni will make up a dynamic front-row, with Tom Ellis making his first start alongside Hugh Tizard in the second-row.

Andy Christie returns from Scotland duty to join Jackson Wray and Billy Vunipola at the base of the scrum.

Aled Davies’ half-back partner will be Goode who captains the side, and Nick Tompkins is also available to join Alex Lozowski in the midfield.

Alex Lewington is on the left wing, with Rotimi Segun on the right after his try-scoring return against Bristol, and Sean Maitland is at full-back.

On the bench Ivan van Zyl will be looking to inject some tempo when called upon, and there could be a Premiership debut for Olly Hartley in the 22 shirt.

Goode has once again spoken of his immense pride at breaking another record for the North Londoners.

“It’s amazing to reach 350 for this great club and it’s something I’m incredibly proud of. I love it here and feel honoured to pull on the shirt every time I get the opportunity, so hopefully we can put in a strong performance on Sunday against a top side.”

Saracens Men team to play Leicester Tigers:

1 Eroni Mawi
2 Kapeli Pifeleti
3 Marco Riccioni
4 Tom Ellis
5 Hugh Tizard
6 Andy Christie
7 Jackson Wray
8 Billy Vunipola

9 Aled Davies
10 Alex Goode (c)
11 Alex Lewington
12 Nick Tompkins
13 Alex Lozowski
14 Rotimi Segun
15 Sean Maitland

Replacements:

16 Theo Dan
17 Robin Hislop
18 Christian Judge
19 Cameron Boon
20 Toby Knight
21 Ivan van Zyl
22 Olly Hartley
23 Ben Harris
www.matthampson.co.uk
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:03 pm Saracens Men team to play Leicester Tigers:

1 Eroni Mawi
2 Kapeli Pifeleti
3 Marco Riccioni
4 Tom Ellis
5 Hugh Tizard
6 Andy Christie
7 Jackson Wray
8 Billy Vunipola

9 Aled Davies
10 Alex Goode (c)
11 Alex Lewington
12 Nick Tompkins
13 Alex Lozowski
14 Rotimi Segun
15 Sean Maitland

Replacements:

16 Theo Dan
17 Robin Hislop
18 Christian Judge
19 Cameron Boon
20 Toby Knight
21 Ivan van Zyl
22 Olly Hartley
23 Ben Harris
That is a pretty good team they have put out
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Are Guy Porter and Harry Potter injured?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Big call that could go unnoticed is Montoya Captain over Liebenberg and no VC noted.

Slightly surprised to see such an 'aged' backline when players like Porter, Cokanasiga, Atkinson etc are likely available but I trust these guys are ready for the occasion.

Wells, Whitcombe, Porter seem to be the bigger names missing.

Hopefully will see Brown, Ashton and Gopperth prove they have still got it and can't wait to see Pollard pull the strings. Youngs back is a big factor.

Is it worrying to say I'm quietly optimistic?!?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:07 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:01 pm Julián Montoya will captain the side at Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Sunday afternoon.

The Head Coach welcomes back Ben Youngs and Joe Heyes (England), Cameron Henderson (Scotland) and Tommy Reffell (Wales), who were released back to the club during the first fallow week of this season’s Guinness Six Nations.

Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Jack van Poortvliet, Freddie Steward and Anthony Watson are unavailable for selection after being retained by England for a week-long training camp.

Mike Brown will make his Leicester Tigers debut at full-back in a back-three which includes Harry Potter and Chris Ashton, with the latter to play his first game in seven weeks after returning from injury.

It’s a milestone midfield pairing with Matt Scott set for his 50th starting appearance for the club alongside Jimmy Gopperth, who will run out for his 200th Premiership appearance.

Tom West is named for his first starting appearance in his second match after debuting off the bench in the club’s last outing - against Northampton Saints - three weeks ago.

West and Heyes are the props and Julián Montoya the hooker in the front-row, with George Martin and Henderson the locks in the starting tight five.

The 21-year-old Martin will make his 50th Leicester Tigers appearance in his first start for 10 weeks after making his return from injury in Round 16 at Mattioli Woods Welford Road.

Hanro Liebenberg and Olly Cracknell are the flankers and Jasper Wiese the No.8 in the starting back-row.

Charlie Clare, Francois van Wyk, Will Hurd, Eli Snyman and Tommy Reffell are the replacement forwards and Sam Edwards, Charlie Atkinson and Harry Simmons the replacement backs.

STARTING XV

15 Mike Brown *
14 Chris Ashton [23]
13 Matt Scott [58]
12 Jimmy Gopperth [9]
11 Harry Potter [57]
10 Handré Pollard [5]
9 Ben Youngs (vc) [294]

1 Tom West [1]
3 Joe Heyes [114]
4 George Martin [49]
5 Cameron Henderson [27]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [75]
7 Olly Cracknell [15]
8 Jasper Wiese [51]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Charlie Clare [69]
17 Francois van Wyk [26]
18 Will Hurd [19]
19 Eli Snyman [28]
20 Tommy Reffell [92]
21 Sam Edwards [9]
22 Charlie Atkinson [10]
23 Harry Simmons [30]

* Leicester Tigers debut
Potter is starting at 11.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:07 pm Are Guy Porter and Harry Potter injured?
Porter maybe, but I hope Potter isn't as he's named in the 11 shirt.

Interesting change of captaincy. I wonder why?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:11 pm Big call that could go unnoticed is Montoya Captain over Liebenberg and no VC noted.
No VC noted on the social media graphic, but noted as Ben Youngs in the text.

I wonder if the change of captain has been requested by the new Head Coach? :smt003 I find it hard to see us persisting with Hanro as matchday captain ("club" captain maybe less so) given the competitive nature of the back row.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:07 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:01 pm Julián Montoya will captain the side at Mattioli Woods Welford Road on Sunday afternoon.

STARTING XV

15 Mike Brown *
14 Chris Ashton [23]
13 Matt Scott [58]
12 Jimmy Gopperth [9]
11 Harry Potter [57]
10 Handré Pollard [5]
9 Ben Youngs (vc) [294]

1 Tom West [1]
3 Joe Heyes [114]
4 George Martin [49]
5 Cameron Henderson [27]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [75]
7 Olly Cracknell [15]
8 Jasper Wiese [51]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Charlie Clare [69]
17 Francois van Wyk [26]
18 Will Hurd [19]
19 Eli Snyman [28]
20 Tommy Reffell [92]
21 Sam Edwards [9]
22 Charlie Atkinson [10]
23 Harry Simmons [30]

* Leicester Tigers debut
Potter is starting at 11.
Well spotted !!! Anyone got the number for Spec Savers PLEASE?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Tough game especially against those Saracens’ backs. Hope we can somehow do better than when I went down to Sarries which was the most embarrassing performance of the season though Sale was another nightmare performance but there were mitigating injury circumstances at Sale!!
Come on Tigers: will be there to cheer you on.