Tigers v Saracens (H) - Sunday 19th February 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Sunday 19th February 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

First 35 mins great tempo and consistency of phase play, sloppy last 5 mins. Second 40, dug themselves into a hole needing great defensive sets to get themselves out of trouble. Lack of ideas to change the game and relieve the Sarries pressure. Just need to have that first 35 min mentality for the 80. Irish will run for the 80 next weekend, the Tigers will need to do the same.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

One slightly unnoticed thing, Pollard yesterday with their intercept try. Never going to get there, never tried, but he busted a gut to run the inside line and stop it being under the posts. Genuinely think if that conversion is landed they go for points not the corner with 6 minutes to go and a whole different game
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:07 am One slightly unnoticed thing, Pollard yesterday with their intercept try. Never going to get there, never tried, but he busted a gut to run the inside line and stop it being under the posts. Genuinely think if that conversion is landed they go for points not the corner with 6 minutes to go and a whole different game
Noticed this myself. Surprised to commentary didn't mention it, but they were too busy telling us how he got it all wrong.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I had no hope of getting anything out of that game so am delighted. Heroic defensive effort.

Brown provided a wonderful storyline.

Wiese had the highlight reel moments.

But for me, George Martin, was imperious. When that guy tackles you, you stay tackled. What a gas tank!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

There was a point in the second half, was mentioned on here as it happened, but I reckon there were potentially 5 knock ons/forward passes from sarries in one play. Only the first one picked up by the ref. The first we kicked through I think, with the advantage but then the sarries player drops on to it as he running back and from the camera angle (behind him) its looks as though he loses control on the floor, there is then a succesion of 3 forward passes, which were picked up on commentary afterwards.

This is just pathetic refferring/TMOing. Had we been given a scrum in one of those positions the whole second half could have different. Coulda, woulda, shoulda again I know, but that sort of reffing is just soooo frustrating and should really be picked up somewhere. Theres no way that one of the ref, lino or TMO cant see one of those forward passes.

It did make me laugh a bit thoough, how the commentators were gushing about their replacment hooker, something Dan, who then dropped or fumbled the ball every time they said how good he was! Felt sorry for him, but funny as well.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Have to agree about Martin …always an unsung hero. His tackling has to be one of the hardest in the league and now he’s carrying too. I looked at him late in the game as he was getting round yet another corner and thought how shattered he looked … and then suddenly remembered he was doing this from 4 not 6 in this game .. so you have to realise that this was in addition to all his scrummaging and Lineout work… massive engine … hard man .. never dirty .. no high tackles .. and only 21 .. remarkable what may be yet to come!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Bobmac wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:25 am
No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:04 pm I’m in the minority that thinks Ben Youngs’ box kick was the right strategy. We’re in our own half, and the ruck is a coin flip at times. Concede a penalty and Sarries boot it to the corner, then the pressure is on. Far better to hoof it and tighten the discipline, get them to play out of their own 22. Good game management!
Totally agree, I think the problem with the crowd was that his previous 2 box kicks had gone straight up in the air and cost 2 penalties.
Superb win showing true tigers effort and grit.
Have to agree as well - the GOOD box kick WITH A GOOD CHASE is one way of clearing your line which, at that time, was under a great deal of pressure. The problem was the execution against a fairly stong wind (according to the TJ's flags) was very poor. No time for anyone to put the players in front on-side. To my mind I would have rather that he had kicked for touch and given his forwards a little rest.

As for the last kick decision, I would certainly have taken the kick at goal if the strength of the wind at that time was not too strong, but it would have been Atkinson to kick and it would have been his 1st kick so can understand the decision to kill off the game. The kick for a lineout in the corner would definitely have been the wrong decision.
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Thought West had a really strong game, both in the set piece and the loose, for me is a real upgrade on Van Wyk! Hopefully he's here beyond the end of this season.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

We had to leave early to catch a train so missed the last 15 mins, and caught up when home. I do not understand all the waxing lyrical from Healey et al about the brilliant comeback from Sarries in the 2nd half. Yes they were much better than us 2nd half but that's the point. Without over simplifying things it is a game of 2 halves made up of attack and. For me they did not break down our defence in the 2nd half because it was so good. They actually only scored an interception try from long range and over the course of 2 halves we scored 3 good tries to their 1 plus interception.
As Good As It Gets
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

After a blistering first half, did fatigue become a factor in our poor (except for defence) second half?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Very well done too, to post-match interviewees Will Hurd, Matt Scott and George Martin for responding so well to our consistently bad interviewer who can’t help asking leading questions which are hard to answer other than to agree. I’d love a player to just answer ‘yes’ and walk away, but they’re too polite. She needs to give our players more space to form their own answers, not just agree with her opinions.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

ads wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:44 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:07 am One slightly unnoticed thing, Pollard yesterday with their intercept try. Never going to get there, never tried, but he busted a gut to run the inside line and stop it being under the posts. Genuinely think if that conversion is landed they go for points not the corner with 6 minutes to go and a whole different game
Noticed this myself. Surprised to commentary didn't mention it, but they were too busy telling us how he got it all wrong.
Also his defence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNj6Gp9n8uo&t=272s two try saving tackles in the space of 2 seconds
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

All I can say is, having seen us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory too many times, I was glad to see that ball head into touch rather than go for a point scoring option.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:56 am
ads wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:44 am
Also his defence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNj6Gp9n8uo&t=272s two try saving tackles in the space of 2 seconds
Heroic stuff.