Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Samurai

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Just seen Tigers have renewed this partnership

Wow how gutting I thought we might get a decent brand back so we could once again experience the joys of having Canterbury level stash…

Disappointed is an understatement
bendy

Re: Samurai

Post by bendy »

I quite like the Samurai stuff and I think the other club shop stuff (like the Captain's collection) allows those of us with less athletic builds to get some good kit too.

For my money, the club shop's a lot better now than it used to be.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

bendy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:31 am I quite like the Samurai stuff and I think the other club shop stuff (like the Captain's collection) allows those of us with less athletic builds to get some good kit too.

For my money, the club shop's a lot better now than it used to be.
+ 1
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

There's other club partnerships I'd focus on ending sooner. Namely the one with a Ponzi scheme.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'd love us to get Adidas at some point, but the Samurai stuff looks decent.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

While my initial reaction was disappointment (mostly from my childhood perception of Samurai being a lesser, cheap brand) but having thought about it I've actually liked most of what Samurai have done to date, the replica kits have been the best quality since Canterbury but they're about £20 cheaper too.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I much prefer Samurai to anyone else we've had since Cotton Traders. Canterbury gave us those awful bib style shirts, don't want them back.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Quite surprised at the initial post to be honest - I think there’s a couple of other suppliers I’d like to see us try, but otherwise I’d go as far as to say that the Samurai stuff is by far the best quality we’ve had for around 10 years - up there with Canterbury.

The design for the training kits in particular have been really eye catching and creative. Not bad on the playing kit front, either.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

The Samurai stuff ive bought has worn really well - no complaints from me
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

My only complaint is the inconsistency of the sizing compared to the Canterbury stuff. My Canterbury gear still fits perfectly well but the Samurai sizing is 3 sizes out vs Canterbury and 2 vs Kukri/Kooga. The quality of the gear, however, is very good. The price point for some of it (£220 for a jacket?!) is a bit questionable. The quality of the stuff is decent, IMHO.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ads wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:50 am I'd love us to get Adidas at some point, but the Samurai stuff looks decent.
Adidas club rugby stash is just identikit; apart from playing shirts most of it is just generic pattern kit with a club badge. You'd have no control over most of what was produced and a hugely limited range. Don't forget Adidas were also the company that couldn't manage to provide Quins womens' team with a female kit for their Big Game fixture last year. Billion £/$ brands aren't necessarily best for the club or supporters.

In terms of overall quality I Samurai is probably the best since we disposed of Cotton Traders. Some of my Canterbury kit was great; other bits of it no longer have sponsor logos on etc.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Good quality to be fair, Canterbury dropped off a cliff aft 2015 due to change of ownership.

Rather have Samurai, wish they'd be a bit more adventurous with kit designs though. Loved the away kit last season and the training shirt the first year, this years efforts were very very bland.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Could have been worse I suppose, we could have ended up with Macron. I'm still gutted I missed out on both of last year's shirts.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:04 am I much prefer Samurai to anyone else we've had since Cotton Traders. Canterbury gave us those awful bib style shirts, don't want them back.
I have no problem with Samurai products they are really well made considering other recent makes.
But I do still love Cotton Traders for their flexibility in expanding beyond their stated size to accommodate my figure!
More so the Caterpillar and Bradstone ones but the Vauxhall one has reached the limit of those distant parts after all these years.
Yes Chris and the Board made a good choice with the fledgling Samurai brand. :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

wormus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:28 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:04 am I much prefer Samurai to anyone else we've had since Cotton Traders. Canterbury gave us those awful bib style shirts, don't want them back.
I have no problem with Samurai products they are really well made considering other recent makes.
But I do still love Cotton Traders for their flexibility in expanding beyond their stated size to accommodate my figure!
More so the Caterpillar and Bradstone ones but the Vauxhall one has reached the limit of those distant parts after all these years.
Yes Chris and the Board made a good choice with the fledgling Samurai brand. :smt023
Their CEO is a Tigers fan and was happy to lose the other clubs to get Tigers on board