LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by LE18 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:23 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:10 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:44 pm

Can’t remember tbh but different phases of the game and Clare wasn’t on for 10 minutes. Look I get it wasn’t great but imo it was down to the conditions, both teams competing more than you see in the premiership, and some poor technique between thrower jumpers and lifters.
Don’t think we should get too carried away by it and personally I’d rather have Martin and Henderson all round game over Green and Wells every day of the week and twice on Sunday
Not disagreeing or having a pop at those in the line or the hooker, was more an observation. The lineout v Bristol ran fine from memory with the same three in the mix (Montoya, Henderson and Martin). The bulk of the lineouts seem to go to the Berg anyway
They seemed to read it very consistently. If the opposition can read it then, even if you are very accurate, you will be under pressure. The issue I have is that tigers did not really adapt. They will need to fix it for next week that’s for sure.
I blame the ref for that, he was very fussy about getting to the lineout quickly but he completely failed to ensure a gap was kept, so opponents were virtually standing in a no gap area, you can expect to lose in those circumstances and many of the interceptions were 1 hand taps in any direction.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would feel a little confident if we had Scott fit.

But with Porter a question mark as well going in weak at the centres v Leinster is soo bad

But away from home no pressure and nothing to lose we can but hope
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:23 pm Would feel a little confident if we had Scott fit.

But with Porter a question mark as well going in weak at the centres v Leinster is soo bad

But away from home no pressure and nothing to lose we can but hope
Totally agree
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It was very noticeable to me how Leinster cleanly presented the ball at the scrum/breakdown today making life easy for the SH.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Main thing is we don’t pick up any more injuries next week
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Actually you know what I’m very hopefully thinking about it

Always perform well in games we have no pressure on

Away from home in europe has provided us with some excellent wins

Hopefully no pressure = less mistakes
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I was one who was nervous prior to the game because I thought people were giving too much credence to Edinburghs recent form without considering that it was virtually a different team that we would be playing against.
However I think it was a brilliant win because of that .. we really rose to the occasion against a fantastic team with a particularly good pack.
We needed to win up front because of the dangers in their backs.
We kept VDM very quiet and Darcy Graham had a nightmare on only his 2nd game back from a bad injury, poor lad! I do think the weather played a massive part in the game and we played superbly in those conditions.. our kick chase was absolutely on the money and JVP played his part in that and other than his tardy arrival at the ruck., which needs sorting quickly, he had a much improved game vs his England performances.
We needed to stop their strike runners, Kinghorn, Graham, VDM and Bennett from getting going and I think we did that very effectively.
Obviously a turning point was the arrival of the irrepressible Weisse, however, on reflection I think that another factor in that momentum swing was the departure of Hamish Watson who along with Ritchie had been up till then been very influential in the game.
Anyway a great win against good opposition and a game That shall live long in the memory, for the filthy weather we stood in if nothing else!
Forward to Dublin and the massive label of Underdogs having round our neck .. have a shot at it .. no one thinks we can win .. nothing to lose.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I've seen a lot of comments especially from the Scottish and Irish that Edinburgh ran us close.
Honestly might be the only one but I didn't think Edinburgh looked close to beating us.

They didn't look like scoring a try once. It was terrible conditions. It wasn't pretty but honestly once we got back in the lead in the second half it felt like game over for Edinburgh which was like at the 50 mins mark.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:58 pm I've seen a lot of comments especially from the Scottish and Irish that Edinburgh ran us close.
Honestly might be the only one but I didn't think Edinburgh looked close to beating us.

They didn't look like scoring a try once. It was terrible conditions. It wasn't pretty but honestly once we got back in the lead in the second half it felt like game over for Edinburgh which was like at the 50 mins mark.
Sounds like they didn’t watch the game. As you say they never looked like scoring a try, and was an excellent wet weather performance from Tigers.

Thinking about it the only tries we have let in since we started a winning streak have been through slips or unusual occurrences. Dare I say an Everard defence is better than a Sinfield one.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think the score flattered Edinburgh.
They didn't look like scoring a try.
Yes they had a good 15 mins at the start of the second half but that was all.

Cronin struggled a bit at the scrum but fortunately their tight head didn't drive straight so failed to take advantage.

Yes they had their Scotland players back but Scotland's star players are not Edinburgh players and as a side, Scotland were flattered by how badly England and Wales performed.

Tigers could have played better but I am not sure Edinburgh could have played much better or, we would have allowed them to play much better.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

mol2 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:51 pm I think the score flattered Edinburgh.

Cronin struggled a bit at the scrum but fortunately their tight head didn't drive straight so failed to take advantage.

Yes they had their Scotland players back but Scotland's star players are not Edinburgh players and as a side, Scotland were flattered by how badly England and Wales performed.

Tigers could have played better but I am not sure Edinburgh could have played much better or, we would have allowed them to play much better.
I'm of the opinion the scoreline flattered both teams.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The key thing from the game for me was Diamond making a prat of himself before the game with the comment they were going to smash Jasper Wiese and Jasper doing the perfect reply, putting Scotlands skipper on his backside and scoring a superb try. Biffer can you ask Diamond to do the team talk for Leinster this weekend as well please............................... :smt044
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:58 pm I've seen a lot of comments especially from the Scottish and Irish that Edinburgh ran us close.

I especially hope the Irish seriously underestimate us before this weekend!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/ ... the-round/

Jasper up for the try of the round... link to vote above
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

biffer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:55 pm
mol2 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:51 pm I think the score flattered Edinburgh.

I'm of the opinion the scoreline flattered both teams.
Really - I thought it was a hard fought, high standard game by both sides.
The scores reflected the closeness of 2 sides with well drilled defences that were not going to cough up tries easily.

Many tries does not equate to a quality game, more often as not a poor quality defence. The wonder Quins, 8th in the league and out of Europe apparently have conceded 100 tries in their last 25 games. Are they really that good or are the marketing men, with no appreciation of rugby so obsessed with tries that the core element of competitive sport is being sold in the name of entertainment to target a handful of viewers who don't have any understanding of rugby.