Edinburgh match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by mol2 »

I think a dose of realism has to be taken with respect to our European ambitions. Probably why it isn’t a sell out and, given season ticket holders paid for 2 more matches than we got because of the demise of Wasps and Worcester, replaced by friendlies, many may have felt a bit short changed and decided paying extra for a Friday game a step too far.

The salary cap for English clubs is making it very difficult for them to compete against sides from other countries like France where the cap so much higher, let alone the construct that Leinster (and to an extent Munster) has become as the training vehicle for most of the Irish side. (And perhaps the funding vehicle for them).

Concentrating on the domestic league is more realistic for us. Sides with the benefit of retaining players from contract breaching days might stand a better chance. Better not comment further on that one.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:53 am I think a dose of realism has to be taken with respect to our European ambitions. Probably why it isn’t a sell out and, given season ticket holders paid for 2 more matches than we got because of the demise of Wasps and Worcester, replaced by friendlies, many may have felt a bit short changed and decided paying extra for a Friday game a step too far.
To be fair, I don't think that I can ever remember a European QF being a sellout since the ground has been redeveloped, let alone this "last 16" nonsense (last year was better, imo, with a home and away leg replacing the "missing" pool game, but that's a different argument...) attendance usually hovers around 20-22k mark (Same with home playoff matches)

However, I definitely think that it is a bit of a "perfect storm" situation
  • The season tickets didn't exactly go up in price, but we did "lose" a European Cup pool game - and then we've lost two additional home games this season due to Worcester and Wasps; some people are feeling "short changed"
  • It's a Friday night (which I really enjoy FWIW) but means that some people struggle to either get there from work, or don't want to stay out that late with young children
  • The weather is not exactly forecast to be the best
  • It's on the TV (exacerbating all of the above)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LittleBigG wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:18 am
mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:53 am I think a dose of realism has to be taken with respect to our European ambitions. Probably why it isn’t a sell out and, given season ticket holders paid for 2 more matches than we got because of the demise of Wasps and Worcester, replaced by friendlies, many may have felt a bit short changed and decided paying extra for a Friday game a step too far.
To be fair, I don't think that I can ever remember a European QF being a sellout since the ground has been redeveloped, let alone this "last 16" nonsense (last year was better, imo, with a home and away leg replacing the "missing" pool game, but that's a different argument...) attendance usually hovers around 20-22k mark (Same with home playoff matches)

• The season tickets didn't exactly go up in price, but we did "lose" a European Cup pool game - and then we've lost two additional home games this season due to Worcester and Wasps; some people are feeling "short changed"
  • It's a Friday night (which I really enjoy FWIW) but means that some people struggle to either get there from work, or don't want to stay out that late with young children
And people just need to look at the VFM, particularly from a championship winning club with a very good squad, compared to other clubs.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

LittleBigG wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:18 am

My sentiments exactly. I fully understand and respect the various reasons why people feel they cannot attend. For me I can't blame the club for not including this game in the ST....the Club have lost the revenue from 2 games, so to "give away" a third game would be more lost income which I also fully understand they feel they cannot do in these straightened times. Anyway, Sarries, Sale, et al would love to get 18,000 plus on a Friday night....how lucky are we?
As Good As It Gets
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Scuttle is right, I think. The reason I won't be there is the timing, the weather and the fact that it is on TV.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:33 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 pm
Tykger wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:39 pm Raynal on the whistle.
May as well toss a coin and see who wins now then
He is not a fan of the English as he has shown many times
Oh dear. A lottery it is then. :(
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:33 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 pm

May as well toss a coin and see who wins now then
He is not a fan of the English as he has shown many times
Oh dear. A lottery it is then. :(
Well.......not exactly. With a lottery you do have SOME chance of winning and an equal chance as the next ticket. Sorry, just having fun !!
As Good As It Gets
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:37 pm They do have a rather useful (Scottish ;) ) winger. Let's make sure he does not get the ball.

For me, we really should win this well, given the team we have put out.
Not convinced by VDM’s defence at the highest level- a weakness to exploit hopefully.

Regarding attendance- not a season ticket holder but attend most home games but travelling from Brum to Lichfield (to pick up the old man) and onto Leicester and back again on a Friday night is too much so I will be watching from the sofa tonight.COYT
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Strong side picked to do a job and win at home.

COME ON YIU TIGERRrrrrsssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

parvacat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:02 pm Just logged on to buy tickets for the match, thinking maybe I'd left it a tad late to get a decent spot. Noticed there were spaces everywhere, so did a bit of calculator maths. At the moment there are 8737 space left - a heck of a lot! i thought the place would be heaving. TV coverage, cost, Friday night....? Hope those of us there will be able to generate enough atmosphere!
I’m sure the atmosphere will be fine. An evening crowd of 19k is probably louder than a 3pm crowd of £23k. Something like I do with the additional lubrication, I guess!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Super Kev in attendance tonight, lets do it for him!!!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:12 pm Super Kev in attendance tonight, lets do it for him!!!!
Nah, still not over it.

Tom Youngs is here too though, let’s do it for him!!!!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Isn't it Oval Insights that help with our recruitment and at least used to give real time in game information to Borthwick?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wiggy just confirmed that Youngs picked up a knock and Cracknell over Wiese on form