Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by iceman_19 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:51 pm
speedski wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:41 pm Just back from the game, great atmosphere even with a number of empty benches and seats.

Hanro, Wiese, Cameron, Montoya all superb. Another quiet but effective Gopperth performance. Great to see Pollard bossing the pitch, and great to see Kelly back on the field.

Actually thought JVP had a poor game tonight, breakdown speed was poor from him caught a few times when he should have got stuck in - he can do so much better than that.

Defense unreal. Not a night for the wingers.
I think you’re harsh on JVP. I thought he was generally very good. The fact that ball was slow at times was as much down to their class back row. And some of his kicking out of hand was superb. Yes, he did get caught napping at one point, but Freddie also dropped a high ball! It was that sort of night. ‘Poor’ is definitely the wrong word….for any of the players.
Agree with this and really object to JVP being labelled poor.

Our ruck speed was too slow in the first 40, as you point out - they were doing well to hold us up for a few seconds or make a mess of the ball. There were a couple of mistakes from JVP - two poor kicks and one being caught out at the base - but overall his kicking was sensational and absolutely critical to us winning that game.

Quick mention to our conditioning too. Last few games we have dominated the last 25 or so. Earlier in the season we were falling away. It makes you wonder if there’s been a change in programme, or if it’s always been designed for us to peak at this end of the season…
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Enjoyed tonight. Good atmosphere in the ground in the second half, Edinburgh gave us a hard fought game and their fans are a friendly bunch - how rugby should be. And both sets of players were equally baffled by the refs new laws.

By the way who’s going to be 8 next season with Jasper Wiese on the wing……….. ;-))
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

Good team performance especially the forwards. Henderson was outstanding and Wiese great ballet dancing along the line. I do wish JVP would grab the ball instead of standing and waving his arms around. Obviously learned that from YBY”

JVP needs to play the ball much quicker ,fair enough letting the backs get organised but the opposition get to organise too. He has been caught napping a number of times now, for england and tigers. He needs to get on with the game and stop waiting for the ref to intervene.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

PJM wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:58 pm Good team performance especially the forwards. Henderson was outstanding and Wiese great ballet dancing along the line. I do wish JVP would grab the ball instead of standing and waving his arms around. Obviously learned that from YBY”

JVP needs to play the ball much quicker ,fair enough letting the backs get organised but the opposition get to organise too. He has been caught napping a number of times now, for england and tigers. He needs to get on with the game and stop waiting for the ref to intervene.
I agree. Even if you are box kicking, get on with it. Scrum half sets the tempo. good ones boss the rest of the team around and make sure they are playing to their tune. The modern game is all about pace. JVP can be the master of his own destiny by grasping that. His kicking game was good in the main.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:19 pm
Tykger wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:18 pm Smashed through Ritchie, then beat VDM on the outside with a side step and pace.. phenomenal athlete.
18-stone ballet dancer anyone??
A world class winger will step around you in a phone box. Wiese will step around a world class winger in an egg box. COYT
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

PJM wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:58 pm Good team performance especially the forwards. Henderson was outstanding and Wiese great ballet dancing along the line. I do wish JVP would grab the ball instead of standing and waving his arms around. Obviously learned that from YBY”

I felt that the problem in the first half was that our scrum was all over the place, back row were unable to control the ball, legs kept getting in JVP s way, the scrum was screwing round making it very difficult for him to pick it out that's why I thought he got caught.
2nd half with new props on scrum was more stable and of cause Wiese was in control, hence his better 2nd half.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:49 pm Arguably our bench props may now be our best? Ok they came on after Cole and Cronin had done the first 40.

West seems to be a better scrummager than Cronin and Heyes has been transformed by playing regularly. 10 mins off the bench isn’t enough (a bit like Genge in that respect)

Wiese added impetus off the bench - if only he was English! Martin has to start for England. (The only question is second row or 6)
The bench was fantastic but let’s not forget that it was just as impressive last week, except the props’ roles were reversed! Great impact in both games, with the starters doing their job too.

It’s really horses for courses with regards to our front line props - very little to choose between them.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Great to see no missed tackles leading to opposition scores great defence against a tough team. Also, Wiese not available in the autumn as signed up for Strictly :smt038
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:11 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:41 pm The line speed tonight has been sensational. Dare I say it, defence has been better since Sir Kev left...
I've said it a few times. Fair play to Matt Everard. He's got the guys so well organised and scrapping defensively.
100% agree. I hope we can keep him for a long time!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tykger wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:27 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:19 pm
Tykger wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:18 pm Smashed through Ritchie, then beat VDM on the outside with a side step and pace.. phenomenal athlete.
18-stone ballet dancer anyone??
A world class winger will step around you in a phone box. Wiese will step around a world class winger in an egg box. COYT
Love this!!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:54 pm Good old fashioned dirty dogged Tigers win.

Pollard my MoM.

Cheers Handre! ........and......As I'm sure regular readers of this board know.......Remy time.
Agreed! I was worried when we lost Ford, but Pollard has pretty much everything that Ford has regarding game management, but also due to his size is better defensively and can run with the ball well. He has a longer kick too both in goal kicking range and out lf the hands. What a player!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

That was real knockout cup rugby. Tight, tense and both teams mostly cancelling each other out, with just the odd bit of magic making the difference. Overall I thought we were more in control and Handre's game management in the last 15 mins was top drawer. Also, considering the crowd numbers were down a bit, the atmosphere was good. Alot of Edinburgh supporters seemed to have made the trip.
As Good As It Gets
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:43 am
Big Dai wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:54 pm Good old fashioned dirty dogged Tigers win.

Pollard my MoM.

Cheers Handre! ........and......As I'm sure regular readers of this board know.......Remy time.
Agreed! I was worried when we lost Ford, but Pollard has pretty much everything that Ford has regarding game management, but also due to his size is better defensively and can run with the ball well. He has a longer kick too both in goal kicking range and out lf the hands. What a player!
I have to say, I had my doubts over Pollard at the time. I'd have taken Simmons or Lozowski over him for differing reasons. Happy to be proved wrong as he's been outstanding. Another addition to the string of classy South African 10s we've had over the years
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tykger wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:20 am

I agree. Even if you are box kicking, get on with it. Scrum half sets the tempo. good ones boss the rest of the team around and make sure they are playing to their tune. The modern game is all about pace. JVP can be the master of his own destiny by grasping that. His kicking game was good in the main.
JVP's kicking game was a significant factor in us winning the game. There were a couple close to their 22 that were the wrong decision but his variety and accuracy on the box kick was fantastic.

Given the number of knock ons we saw I'm not sure he could have played the ball much quicker than he did. Particularly in the first half, the first quarter when we were on top was the worst of the weather. Best to take your time and hold onto the ball than try to whip it out and just give it away.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

iceman_19 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:33 am
mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:49 pm Arguably our bench props may now be our best? Ok they came on after Cole and Cronin had done the first 40.

West seems to be a better scrummager than Cronin and Heyes has been transformed by playing regularly. 10 mins off the bench isn’t enough (a bit like Genge in that respect)

Wiese added impetus off the bench - if only he was English! Martin has to start for England. (The only question is second row or 6)
The bench was fantastic but let’s not forget that it was just as impressive last week, except the props’ roles were reversed! Great impact in both games, with the starters doing their job too.

It’s really horses for courses with regards to our front line props - very little to choose between them.
I thought Cole was great, Heyes as well. Cronin was good around the park but seemed to be struggling with how low (and illegally) Nel wanted to scrum. West seemed able to scrum lower and negate Nel, he then held de Bruin in check so Heyes could go through Venter. Great options to have.