Edinburgh match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by Darc Tiger »

The point is, you'd think we'd have learned to trust the boys selected to perform at the required standard by this point.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:10 pm The point is, you'd think we'd have learned to trust the boys selected to perform at the required standard by this point.
That’s very nice, but if we’re selecting non-first choice players for a European Cup quarter final, the message it sends about the status and ambition of the club is pretty poor IMO.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Just logged on to buy tickets for the match, thinking maybe I'd left it a tad late to get a decent spot. Noticed there were spaces everywhere, so did a bit of calculator maths. At the moment there are 8737 space left - a heck of a lot! i thought the place would be heaving. TV coverage, cost, Friday night....? Hope those of us there will be able to generate enough atmosphere!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:39 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:10 pm The point is, you'd think we'd have learned to trust the boys selected to perform at the required standard by this point.
That’s very nice, but if we’re selecting non-first choice players for a European Cup quarter final, the message it sends about the status and ambition of the club is pretty poor IMO.
Would you mind elaborating on that statement
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

parvacat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:02 pm Just logged on to buy tickets for the match, thinking maybe I'd left it a tad late to get a decent spot. Noticed there were spaces everywhere, so did a bit of calculator maths. At the moment there are 8737 space left - a heck of a lot! i thought the place would be heaving. TV coverage, cost, Friday night....? Hope those of us there will be able to generate enough atmosphere!
Which mean around 19000 crowd. I would say that’s not too bad given that the game is not included in the season ticket, it’s a late kick off on a Friday night the weekend the schools break up, and it’s the only game on the telly
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:09 pm
In what sense? (I don’t mean this in an adversarial tone!).

This is a (hypothetical!!) European Cup quarter final we’re talking about. In my opinion, doing anything other than going full bore represents something that stands against the club’s values - we don’t compromise, we don’t consider other competitions, we play to win because we believe we’re good enough.

This isn’t a regular league game, nor a Euro group game where there’s no need to win - it’s knockout rugby in Europe, and I think we as a club must treat that with the respect it deserves.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:16 pm

This is a (hypothetical!!) European Cup quarter final we’re talking about. In my opinion, doing anything other than going full bore represents something that stands against the club’s values - we don’t compromise, we don’t consider other competitions, we play to win because we believe we’re good enough.

This isn’t a regular league game, nor a Euro group game where there’s no need to win - it’s knockout rugby in Europe, and I think we as a club must treat that with the respect it deserves.
Again in a non adversarial way your statement questioning the clubs status and ambition, for as you rightly say in a hypothetical situation, seems to indicate that you feel there are already questions in this area, all imo of course. I also don’t understand this club values thing if we don’t compromise we go full bore on everything. I’m not aware of these values being in the club values or mission statement, more that the correct side will be picked for each game, and whatever that side they are expected to do the job. All IMO of course.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:23 pm

Again in a non adversarial way your statement questioning the clubs status and ambition, for as you rightly say in a hypothetical situation, seems to indicate that you feel there are already questions in this area, all imo of course. I also don’t understand this club values thing if we don’t compromise we go full bore on everything. I’m not aware of these values being in the club values or mission statement, more that the correct side will be picked for each game, and whatever that side they are expected to do the job. All IMO of course.
Don't take this the wrong way (and remember I'm not just a visiting Edinburgh fan, I used to live in the Midlands and come Tigers games), but I've always thought that the only club in Europe that has the same status as Leicester is Toulouse. That's who the Tigers should be chasing, and thy have, in the past, said stuff the domestic league we're winning the Heineken this year. I'd love to see that attitude from the team and fan base. Be the only really big club in England. Prove you're a level above all of the rest.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Also, I had to resist saying 'we' in that post big time. Just thus week though - still a tiger
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I'm happy to see rotation, has to happen. That side can cause Edinburgh issues but will be a hugely tough game.

Just a personal preference, however I'd be happy to see us prioritise second place in the prem and ultimately the retention of our domestic title (if that's what is going on here), as I feel that's a more realistic prospect right now.

No complaints from me.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

biffer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:37 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:23 pm

Don't take this the wrong way (and remember I'm not just a visiting Edinburgh fan, I used to live in the Midlands and come Tigers games), but I've always thought that the only club in Europe that has the same status as Leicester is Toulouse. That's who the Tigers should be chasing, and thy have, in the past, said stuff the domestic league we're winning the Heineken this year. I'd love to see that attitude from the team and fan base. Be the only really big club in England. Prove you're a level above all of the rest.
+1 to this sentiment, especially with no relegation in the foreseeable future.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Great debate. No matter how you look at it we are in a hugely better place than the pre Borthwick era. Let’s hope for a great game tonight with a Tigers win and cheer for Ulster tomorrow night.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Postiger2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:55 am I'm happy to see rotation, has to happen. That side can cause Edinburgh issues but will be a hugely tough game.

Just a personal preference, however I'd be happy to see us prioritise second place in the prem and ultimately the retention of our domestic title (if that's what is going on here), as I feel that's a more realistic prospect right now.

No complaints from me.
Thing is second place in the prem is out of our hands, all we can do is win the remaining games and hope Sale don't.

For me, at this stage of the season, the time for resting players is gone. If you have something to play for you go full bore! It's pretty much knock out rugby every game now. We lose a game it's either out of europe or potentially missing out on a play off place. If they were prioritising the premiership they wouldn't have put such a strong side out tonight. Those players want to win EVERYTHING!! Rotation witht he bench yes, but I can't see players getting rested*.

*Apart from Youngs tonight it seems....
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 pm
Tykger wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:39 pm Raynal on the whistle.
May as well toss a coin and see who wins now then
He is not a fan of the English as he has shown many times
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

ads wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:57 am
Postiger2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:55 am I'm happy to see rotation, has to happen. That side can cause Edinburgh issues but will be a hugely tough game.

No complaints from me.
Thing is second place in the prem is out of our hands, all we can do is win the remaining games and hope Sale don't.

For me, at this stage of the season, the time for resting players is gone. If you have something to play for you go full bore! It's pretty much knock out rugby every game now. We lose a game it's either out of europe or potentially missing out on a play off place. If they were prioritising the premiership they wouldn't have put such a strong side out tonight. Those players want to win EVERYTHING!! Rotation witht he bench yes, but I can't see players getting rested*.

*Apart from Youngs tonight it seems....
that's not right - players aren't machines and they get analysed all the time to assess their condition and the experts at the club make the decision about whether a week off is right for them - its not rested, rotated or any other buzz word - its about appropriate player management and the coaching team definitely know best......
Less is more....