Edinburgh match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:17 pm I don't understand the negative comments on van Poortvliet.
Here's a player who's still only twenty one, who has come up through the ranks at Welford Rd and already has twelve England caps to his name. He's learning his trade admirably and is undoubtedly improving and of course, from time to time he'll have some not so good games, but yesterday evening's wasn't one of them. Considering the testing conditions, I thought overall he had a pretty good game and he'd have had encouraging words from his halfback partner Pollard.
Obviously everyone rightly has their own opinion but it seems one poster feels JVP wasn’t at his best.
In trying conditions, playing 80 minutes, I thought he did well. Can’t remember any poor passes and his kicking was excellent especially for touch and box kicks, with complements being given by both Kay and Southwell
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:17 pm I don't understand the negative comments on van Poortvliet.
Here's a player who's still only twenty one, who has come up through the ranks at Welford Rd and already has twelve England caps to his name. He's learning his trade admirably and is undoubtedly improving and of course, from time to time he'll have some not so good games, but yesterday evening's wasn't one of them. Considering the testing conditions, I thought overall he had a pretty good game and he'd have had encouraging words from his halfback partner Pollard.
I’m a huge JVP fan and don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, other than about last nights game. I left Welford Road last night thinking he’d had a poor game (by his standards). Having watched the second half again on tv, that position has softened a bit, and perhaps the conditions and opponents meant it was always going to be tough for him to ‘look good’.

One thing that seems to be an ever present issue, or at least it’s caught my eye, on our scrum feeds he always seems to get pushed around by the opposing 9.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:28 pm
I’m a huge JVP fan and don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, other than about last nights game. I left Welford Road last night thinking he’d had a poor game (by his standards). Having watched the second half again on tv, that position has softened a bit, and perhaps the conditions and opponents meant it was always going to be tough for him to ‘look good’.

One thing that seems to be an ever present issue, or at least it’s caught my eye, on our scrum feeds he always seems to get pushed around by the opposing 9.
Like I posted last night I believe that the forwards and the 1st half back row did not give him any clean ball, how can a scrum half cleanly pick up a clean ball when the maul/scrum is screwing sideways. Wiese solved that problem, Cracknell's legs got in the way and Cracknell coughed up ball each time he tried to pick it up.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Having got drenched walking to the ground the game was always going to be about which team could cope with the conditions.
What made it a remarkable win was we were very poor at the line out, Callum Green is a huge loss: rumoured to be out for the season and maybe longer!
Wells too isn’t likely to be back until the end of the season.
Dolly looked good in the warm up though.
Thought on the whole the ref and his assistants did ok and to be fair to Edinburgh they tackled fairly which is probably why Jasper had such a great half as in the Premiership opponents tackle him high and get away with it.
Crowd too were superb making it sound like a full house.Obviously us fans who support the team instead of moaning make the noise!

A City supporter at the Tigers last night was amazed fans were moaning about what to him seemed cheap tickets to a European Champions’ Cup knock out game!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

All these comments about the line out. Both teams had a poor evening in that facet of play. Given the conditions does that maybe suggest something :smt017
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:36 pm All these comments about the line out. Both teams had a poor evening in that facet of play. Given the conditions does that maybe suggest something :smt017
I may be wrong, but didn't Clare hit all of his (albeit only a couple) and it was Montoya who they got to? Or am I making that up?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:39 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:36 pm All these comments about the line out. Both teams had a poor evening in that facet of play. Given the conditions does that maybe suggest something :smt017
I may be wrong, but didn't Clare hit all of his (albeit only a couple) and it was Montoya who they got to? Or am I making that up?
Can’t remember tbh but different phases of the game and Clare wasn’t on for 10 minutes. Look I get it wasn’t great but imo it was down to the conditions, both teams competing more than you see in the premiership, and some poor technique between thrower jumpers and lifters.
Don’t think we should get too carried away by it and personally I’d rather have Martin and Henderson all round game over Green and Wells every day of the week and twice on Sunday
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Martin and Henderson our best two locks in my opinion.
A2O
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:44 pm
Can’t remember tbh but different phases of the game and Clare wasn’t on for 10 minutes. Look I get it wasn’t great but imo it was down to the conditions, both teams competing more than you see in the premiership, and some poor technique between thrower jumpers and lifters.
Don’t think we should get too carried away by it and personally I’d rather have Martin and Henderson all round game over Green and Wells every day of the week and twice on Sunday
Not disagreeing or having a pop at those in the line or the hooker, was more an observation. The lineout v Bristol ran fine from memory with the same three in the mix (Montoya, Henderson and Martin). The bulk of the lineouts seem to go to the Berg anyway
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:10 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:44 pm

Not disagreeing or having a pop at those in the line or the hooker, was more an observation. The lineout v Bristol ran fine from memory with the same three in the mix (Montoya, Henderson and Martin). The bulk of the lineouts seem to go to the Berg anyway
They seemed to read it very consistently. If the opposition can read it then, even if you are very accurate, you will be under pressure. The issue I have is that tigers did not really adapt. They will need to fix it for next week that’s for sure.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I get what posters are saying but before last night there wasn’t an issue. No there is something that urgently needs fixing I’m just asking for things to be in context.

Just in case anyone has forgotten we beat a squad containing 20 full internationals on a filthy night by 10 points
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

It was an excellent win but we did lose some important line outs v Bristol too.
We know in the review they will look to fix this particularly as Leinster and Exeter will take advantage of a line out that struggles. Yes, it was wet, but on 2-3 occasions the throw was too high. I agree that both Henderson and Martin are superbly talented players but maybe they need an experienced head like Green or Wells to help them! It’s not going to happen now as both are injured.
I thoroughly enjoyed last night’s old fashioned wet weather rugby tussle.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

We also stole a few lineouts last night as well. Raynal allowed both teams to close the gap which seemed to make the lineout a real bun fight.
PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

It is interesting that before last night’s game there was a lot of nervousness on the forum about the strength of the Edinburgh team, particularly the pack ( this was echoed by the BT commentators.) I thought overall we played well and nullified any threat - they rarely, if ever, put us under any real pressure. It was a cup tie, we played the match and the conditions very well. Have we played better, can we and will we learn, you bet! For me, a thoroughly professional performance . Enjoy!
Tigermattters

Post by Tigermattters »

Looks like Tigers Quarter Final is next Friday according to Craig Doyle