Edinburgh match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by Rugbygramps »

Think it would be harsh to label any of the 22 used below good tonight, those who have mentioned JVP as poor need to watch the replay. There were 2 little dab through kicks that weren’t great but his box kicking and kicking for touch were top quality. Yes he got caught a couple of times first half but that was more to do with the forwards under resourcing the ruck 1 in particular where Henderson hit the wrong side and went off his feet.
Props is an interesting one. The timing of their introduction was spot on, they came on against tiring props and then were up to speed by the time Edinburgh bought their replacements on. Heyes body position at scrum time was fantastic if you could take a snap shot that would be in the coaching manuals
MOTM could realistically have gone to any one of 3 or 4 players, but Wiese stats for one half most players would be happy with for 80 minutes.
Turning point as good as Leicester we’re against a high quality side, once Watson went off they lost a lot of their momentum

Comedy moment Reynal explaining to Montoya that it has to be a really clear release after seeing the replay of him wrongly penalising Wiese for a jackal.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:23 am Comedy moment Reynal explaining to Montoya that it has to be a really clear release after seeing the replay of him wrongly penalising Wiese for a jackal.
Yeah, thought Raynal was doing his best Clouseau impersonation last night :smt044
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Foghorn Leghorn has a siege gun kick never seen anyone kick that far and accurately at Welford Road.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

I think those saying I am harsh for saying JVP was poor aren't looking at the entire sentence.

I said he was better than that.

I have watched the replay, and my thoughts aren't any different. He IS way better than he was last night - he played well, but he was poor in comparison to previous performances for us recently.

We're all entitled to an opinion of course, like I say, I just felt, all things considered he wasn't as good as I have come to expect of such a quality player.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

speedski wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:47 am I think those saying I am harsh for saying JVP was poor aren't looking at the entire sentence.

I have watched the replay, and my thoughts aren't any different. He IS way better than he was last night - he played well, but he was poor in comparison to previous performances for us recently.

We're all entitled to an opinion of course, like I say, I just felt, all things considered he wasn't as good as I have come to expect of such a quality player.
In awful conditions against an international pack. With respect I don’t think you’re looking at the whole picture
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

speedski wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:47 am I think those saying I am harsh for saying JVP was poor aren't looking at the entire sentence.

I get your argument, for me he was the best 9 on the park. He certainly didn't become Henderson's charge down bunny...

In those conditions I think he played within himself to cut down on the error count. That paid dividends IMO.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Just read that last night's crowd was just 12,800. Is that correct?? Both ends were quite empty but on TV - to me - it looked more like 18/19 thousand.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:49 pm Arguably our bench props may now be our best? Ok they came on after Cole and Cronin had done the first 40.

West seems to be a better scrummager than Cronin and Heyes has been transformed by playing regularly. 10 mins off the bench isn’t enough (a bit like Genge in that respect)

Wiese added impetus off the bench - if only he was English! Martin has to start for England. (The only question is second row or 6)
our second choice props we’re better than their second choice props. If West and Heyes had played against their first choice suspect they would have struggled.
A2O
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Jacko27 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:09 am Just read that last night's crowd was just 12,800. Is that correct?? Both ends were quite empty but on TV - to me - it looked more like 18/19 thousand.
I don't think it was that much - there was a lot missing from hospitality, and both ends of the Breedon were pretty bare.

Of course we know the Season tickets didn't include it because the gate had to be split with Edinburgh as its only one leg so that had an impact. There were a good number of Edinburgh fans who had great bants in the Breedon :smt003

13k is about right tbh
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Just looking at the thread on other games mentions that Ellis Genge had trouble in the scrum last night. Got me thinking that in a few games recently for Tigers, such as Ospreys away and the game last night, regardless of personnel if the starters had problems there were early replacement calls and the replacements just solidified the scrum against the original opponents and held up well or better against the opposition replacements. Does this suggest the scrum coach is very effective at spotting what is going wrong / the opposition approach and countering it? It has really avoided carnage at the set piece. We need a similar fix it approach at line out. Last night was highly contested by both sides. Good fun to watch but worrying for the next game.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Offside wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:25 am Just looking at the thread on other games mentions that Ellis Genge had trouble in the scrum last night. Got me thinking that in a few games recently for Tigers, such as Ospreys away and the game last night, regardless of personnel if the starters had problems there were early replacement calls and the replacements just solidified the scrum against the original opponents and held up well or better against the opposition replacements. Does this suggest the scrum coach is very effective at spotting what is going wrong / the opposition approach and countering it? I has really avoided carnage at the set piece. We need a similar fix it approach at line out. Last night was highly contested by both sides. Good fun to watch but worrying for the next game.
Both sides struggled at the lineout and imo it wasn’t helped by the conditions. Both sides were taking away the front ball and there was plenty of competition with there being some under thrown balls and excellent competition.
As fans it’s easier to say it’s worrying for next game, I would rather look at the season as a whole.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Got to be honest, that was a pretty poor game last night. Neither side with any significant penetration, game really decided on who made more mistakes (Edinburgh by a long way with handling errors, rubbish line out for the first twenty, dropped high balls etc).

Fun trip though, good to see Welford Road again and plenty of good chat withe Tigers fans before and after.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

biffer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:47 am Got to be honest, that was a pretty poor game last night. Neither side with any significant penetration, game really decided on who made more mistakes (Edinburgh by a long way with handling errors, rubbish line out for the first twenty, dropped high balls etc).

Fun trip though, good to see Welford Road again and plenty of good chat withe Tigers fans before and after.
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Think with the weather it was always going to be about the fewest errors.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

:smt068 :smt066 Need I say more?

Brilliant lads.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I don't understand the negative comments on van Poortvliet.
Here's a player who's still only twenty one, who has come up through the ranks at Welford Rd and already has twelve England caps to his name. He's learning his trade admirably and is undoubtedly improving and of course, from time to time he'll have some not so good games, but yesterday evening's wasn't one of them. Considering the testing conditions, I thought overall he had a pretty good game and he'd have had encouraging words from his halfback partner Pollard.
Semper in excretia