Edinburgh match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by mightymouse »

Also to be fair to both Edinburgh and ourselves it was an absolutely filthy night .. not a night for running rugby and lots of tries .. some of those matches at the weekend were in the sunshine of France or South Africa .. I’m sure both of our teams would have scored tries in those conditions but would other teams have scored against our 2 defences ( Leinster probably would but some of the others I’m not so sure!)
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The question for me is, not who did what, or whether the others played badly but can we maintain our commitment, drive and purpose; not just on Friday, but until the end of the season?

In W +23 we trust.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

mol2 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:43 am
biffer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:55 pm
mol2 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:51 pm I think the score flattered Edinburgh.
They didn't look like scoring a try.
Yes they had a good 15 mins at the start of the second half but that was all.

Cronin struggled a bit at the scrum but fortunately their tight head didn't drive straight so failed to take advantage.

Yes they had their Scotland players back but Scotland's star players are not Edinburgh players and as a side, Scotland were flattered by how badly England and Wales performed.

Tigers could have played better but I am not sure Edinburgh could have played much better or, we would have allowed them to play much better.
I'm of the opinion the scoreline flattered both teams.
Really - I thought it was a hard fought, high standard game by both sides.
The scores reflected the closeness of 2 sides with well drilled defences that were not going to cough up tries easily.

Many tries does not equate to a quality game, more often as not a poor quality defence. The wonder Quins, 8th in the league and out of Europe apparently have conceded 100 tries in their last 25 games. Are they really that good or are the marketing men, with no appreciation of rugby so obsessed with tries that the core element of competitive sport is being sold in the name of entertainment to target a handful of viewers who don't have any understanding of rugby.
IMO there was very little craft and guile that had to be defended, just power and grunt. There were very few moves of any nature to try to open gaps and stretch the defence of either side. Tbh Edinburgh out-grunted Saracens when we played in January so I think that was the plan, but we cut loose once or twice in that game as well. I can barely remember a backs move of note, and while, as you say, that's not the complete game or anything like it, it is a part of it that was wholly absent.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Probably the last time I'll be on for a while, so until we meet again, go well and enjoy your rugby!

Thanks to all we met over the Friday and Saturday, an enjoyable couple of days.