Edinburgh match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Edinburgh match.

Post by johnthegriff »

An email has been sent out by the club ( Chris Rose) stating the club's case for not including our last 16 home match in the season ticket. I appreciate the points made and that the club have communicated their thinking on the matter to us the fans. The changes to European competition are not the fault of Tigers, the current reduction in the number of Premiership.matches is not the club's fault either but when asking for renewal of season tickets there will need to be great consideration given to the value offered compared to the pre-pandemic situation if they are to achieve the current numbers.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Edinburgh match.

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Agree. Ultimately this is where Chris and his team will earn their salaries. I've no problem with the club's position as this is a differing scenario to last season's R16 tie, which was included due to the Bordeaux cancellation, and last year's R16 was essentially a two aggregated pool games.

However, if they are to follow this course of action they need to pull their A-game out and get a very high quality replacement fixture. I can take the Italy reserves and possibles to replace one Prem fixture, but the second needs to be good.
bendy

Post by bendy »

I'm with John on this one (I think).

This season is a 'write off' almost as far as getting value out of my ST. If they can squeeze in another friendly match between now and the end of the season, great; if not, such is life. I will happily forego one match's worth of my ticket if it allows the club to remain financially stable.

Next season though, when everyone knows that there'll be fewer matches offered up to STH... that's where it could get tricky.

I appreciate everyone's position will be different. I may not mind paying the same for 11 league games as I did for 12 (assuming we get a promotion this year), I probably wouldn't want to pay the same for 10 games. I do think I'd want some more tangible benefits offered to STH though.

And NOT the chance to buy a crypto coin, before anyone suggests that as a 'benefit'....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:29 pm An email has been sent out by the club ( Chris Rose) stating the club's case for not including our last 16 home match in the season ticket. I appreciate the points made and that the club have communicated their thinking on the matter to us the fans. The changes to European competition are not the fault of Tigers, the current reduction in the number of Premiership.matches is not the club's fault either but when asking for renewal of season tickets there will need to be great consideration given to the value offered compared to the pre-pandemic situation if they are to achieve the current numbers.
We are both season ticket holders and yet again have not seen sight or sound of it from the club
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:34 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:29 pm An email has been sent out by the club ( Chris Rose) stating the club's case for not including our last 16 home match in the season ticket. I appreciate the points made and that the club have communicated their thinking on the matter to us the fans. The changes to European competition are not the fault of Tigers, the current reduction in the number of Premiership.matches is not the club's fault either but when asking for renewal of season tickets there will need to be great consideration given to the value offered compared to the pre-pandemic situation if they are to achieve the current numbers.
We are both season ticket holders and yet again have not seen sight or sound of it from the club
It can sometimes take a while for all emails to land in inboxes due to the quantity sent out, but if you have not had one later today, would suggest that you contact the ticket office to check that your details are correct and in the system.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Appreciate the clubs position however hope they get the Edinburgh ticket pricing structure right to attract bums on seats
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

I too have received an email from Chris Rose regarding not including the Edinburgh match within the Season Ticket allocation. To be honest, I hadn't considered this was ever going to be the case. Season Tickets have never covered the knock-out stages of any competition, so Tigers had not planned to include the next match in the Champions Cup when these were issued at the start of the season. If our results and those of others had gone differently, this next match could easily have been an away fixture.

I understand that some ST holders have contacted the club asking whether this game would be added to the ticket and using the fact that we have lost 2 home games with the loss of the fixtures against Worcester and Wasps as a rationale. From my perspective, and I appreciate that we are not all in this position, having renewed my 2 STs and paying in full in the spring of last year, I consider that money has been spent and added to the Club's finances. Through no fault of Tigers, the club has lost the significant revenue of 2 home league games. That is a massive dent in the planned income for the club, with rumours suggesting around £400k per game. I know that the club hastily arranged a game against an Italian Select team to take up one of these games, and over 16,800 fans attended that game, however this would be a lower gate than a regular home league game.

The club is walking a very fine line financially and juggling with the unexpected loss of the 2 home league games. Any additional game that can be arranged to fill the gap of the "other" missed game would be good, but, in my opinion, not essential. Others are free to disagree with my view. I am more concerned about the long term financial stability of Tigers than an additional game being arranged.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

It will be interesting to see the turnout for the Edinburgh game and also to see how many of their fans travel. Was pleasantly surprised at the crowd on Friday night (and at the Ospreys lads singing throughout the game)
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Agree totally with WirralTiger. It never crossed my mind that any European knock out would be included.

I am also more than happy to make a relatively small extra payment to help MY club in a very difficult financial situation. I hope all other Tigers fans will turn up and swell the coffers.

And yes, it will be interesting to see what happens next season but surely that all depends on the number of teams in the Premiership.
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

Have just read the email and have to say that I can't really fault the argument re cash etc be interested to see how much club will ask for seats for this game
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

My wife and I are a little surprised that Tigers had to send the email, which was very well written.

A) Tigers’ season tickets have hardly gone up a lot in the last season!
B) We never expected the knock out game(s) would be included.
I can’t imagine many sports where they would be included in season tickets.

Finally, how is the club not going to go the way of Wasps and Worcester if supporters don’t turn up in their droves for a European Champions’ Cup knock out game having earns a home tie?And for other home games
I cannot imagine City fans reacting the same way: in fact they didn’t in the season after they won the Premiership.

It should be a great match v Edinburgh and hopefully the supporters will turn up and get behind our Tigers.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agree with John the Griff.
City fans didn’t moan the season after they won the Premiership when they got through to the knock out stages of their European Champions Cup!

It’s ( v Edinburgh) a fantastic chance to get behind the Tigers and it’s a game where the fit internationals are available.

Great email by the club.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Wirral Exile has it spot on. Many of us carried on paying for season tickets during lockdown and, in this current chaos, I think it right we just accept the season as is and see what next season brings and hope it is more stable.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Also, anyone who subscribes to the excellent rolling maul pod will have heard Bondi speaking on the matter and revealing (maybe too much) about the other factors affecting the decision....

So - key point other than the obvious financial tightrope all clubs are walking is this - because there is no home and away round of 16, the away club gets a large proportion (30/35%) of the gate receipts - therefore tigers would be losing a shedload of money if they free issued to the 13k season ticket holders and gave another 1/3 to Edinburgh.
Also - they fully intend another "free" game later in the season - if they free issued this one, would anyone show up to the next one which I hope will include another double header with the ladies....??

Hopefully some perspective for those that need it.
Less is more....
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:37 am Also, anyone who subscribes to the excellent rolling maul pod will have heard Bondi speaking on the matter and revealing (maybe too much) about the other factors affecting the decision....

So - key point other than the obvious financial tightrope all clubs are walking is this - because there is no home and away round of 16, the away club gets a large proportion (30/35%) of the gate receipts - therefore tigers would be losing a shedload of money if they free issued to the 13k season ticket holders and gave another 1/3 to Edinburgh.
Also - they fully intend another "free" game later in the season - if they free issued this one, would anyone show up to the next one which I hope will include another double header with the ladies....??

Hopefully some perspective for those that need it.
This is what sealed it for me. From what I recall, as there is no home and away leg, Tigers need to pay the equivalent of 35% of the takings to Edinburgh. If we allowed in 13k season ticket holders in, we would effectively be paying Edinburgh to play the game rather than putting any money in our coffers, we would be playing the match at a loss. I can understand the passion in this argument but with the way that the competition is played and the division of funds, that would appear to simply not be possible.