Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Other fixtures - 20th to 22nd January 2023

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:06 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:55 am Would have preferred to avoid Leinster but it is what it is.
We may have yet depending on the Munster Toulouse result.
Presumably we need Toulouse to win and Munster to get nothing.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:36 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:23 am

Why bother playing any games just give Leinster the champions cup, Saracens the prem... may as well give France the 6N & WC. No chance of upsets or good performances
Not the way we are playing no. If you count the PRC I believe we have lost more games this season than we’ve won! If you was oblivious to last season you would say there’s no chance this side are Champions of England.
Many of those have been narrowly whilst we've had lots of injuries and absences.

We're a couple of percent off it which has a big impact. We have over 2 months till the knockouts. Form changes so lets not get ahead of ourselves and focus on the next challenge in front.

Just a couple of weeks ago you were saying the league is over and doomed and we need to focus on the Champions Cup. In that time we became the first team to have put 40 points on Clermont, narrowly lose to essentially an international side while we have plenty of star players out.

Now we're doomed in the Cup. What do you want us to do roll over and give up for the rest of the season, or trust that our coaches can get that performance level out of our talented squad.
Clermont game looks a one off where their pack just got annihilated,ala Stade Francais at home the one year. 3 losses in 4 now ,2 hammerings! It’s always X is out or Y is young etc etc,always an excuse. How come Sarries can get relegated ,come back up and carry on where they left off?! I get SB and co have gone but even before that we were poor bar the odd game or two,Quins away is the only one that really stands out. Is it behind the scenes continuity? Not proper planning? I’m certainly not putting it down to just losing Genge and Ford,that’s a copout. Rugby is a constant transitional game ,and we seem to cope with it very poorly!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Given 8 out of 10 away league matches have been completed is quite out of proportion to what you would expect.
Sales team is on a roll this season and Tigers have always struggled their. Losing 5 players to injury did not help.
Newcastle are a good side at home and outplayed the side Tigers put out
Ospreys was a tight match decided in the last play....try conceded as a result of kick and not taking kickable points.....could have been a different result but that is rugby.
Need Wiese back to give some grunt and forward momentum
6 home games out of the remaining 8 in the league could change the league table.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I still am optimistic of making top four and if we do with a near fully fit squad who knows.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:27 am I still am optimistic of making top four and if we do with a near fully fit squad who knows.
It's 50/50 mate. I wouldn't back us against Enya or Sarries in a playoff anyway. But who knows?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Sarries? One word, consistency. They had about 10 years of being not just at the top, but mostly head and shoulders above the rest, and kept their leadership team when relegated.

We've had one season where we won the league because of a few end of the match moments. One great season doesn't mean we are, or should be, back at the top. Just look at the Leicester football team.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with where we are at the moment. Loads of positives in every game, Pollard appears to be settling in (if he can stay fit then i dont think weve lost anything at fly half) and our backs attack is showing signs of actually getting somewhere for the first time in a decade.

The big thing that got us success last season was our vastly improved physicality - a large part of which was down to Montoya and Wiese. You take either of them out last season and we wouldn't have won a trophy, simple as that.

I think we, as fans, got a bit too used to winning last season. It's sport, you can't win every time. I don't see any big problem or crisis, we are just a team that is still developing as should be expected.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:31 am Sarries? One word, consistency. They had about 10 years of being not just at the top, but mostly head and shoulders above the rest, and kept their leadership team when relegated.

We've had one season where we won the league because of a few end of the match moments. One great season doesn't mean we are, or should be, back at the top. Just look at the Leicester football team.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with where we are at the moment. Loads of positives in every game, Pollard appears to be settling in (if he can stay fit then i dont think weve lost anything at fly half) and our backs attack is showing signs of actually getting somewhere for the first time in a decade.

The big thing that got us success last season was our vastly improved physicality - a large part of which was down to Montoya and Wiese. You take either of them out last season and we wouldn't have won a trophy, simple as that.

I think we, as fans, got a bit too used to winning last season. It's sport, you can't win every time. I don't see any big problem or crisis, we are just a team that is still developing as should be expected.
If you're happy with more losses than wins and WR no longer being a fortress as well as going backwards in almost every facet of the game then more power to ya.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tbf I think Im wrong about more losses than wins if you include the PRC,it might be completely even. Either way it's close
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Two losses at home this season in Prem and Europe... one against a good Sale side and a one point loss against Ospreys....not a.major disaster.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:38 am Two losses at home this season in Prem and Europe... one against a good Sale side and a one point loss against Ospreys....not a.major disaster.
We've hardly played any home games like you said lol.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:42 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:38 am Two losses at home this season in Prem and Europe... one against a good Sale side and a one point loss against Ospreys....not a.major disaster.
We've hardly played any home games like you said lol.
Draw at Bristol
Win at Saints
Win at Harlequins
1 point loss at Bath
Sales and Saracens -
4 point loss at Exeter
Loss at Newcastle
The defeats at Bath and Exeter could have beens as could some of last seasons wins been losses.
The teams below Sarries and Sale are all capable of beating each other....will be expecting a good return of points in the remaining games.
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:09 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:55 am Would have preferred to avoid Leinster but it is what it is.
We may have yet depending on the Munster Toulouse result.
Presumably we need Toulouse to win and Munster to get nothing.
No for us to avoid Leinster we need Munster to win without a TBP or by 17 or less & Toulouse not to get a point.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:34 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:31 am Sarries? One word, consistency. They had about 10 years of being not just at the top, but mostly head and shoulders above the rest, and kept their leadership team when relegated.

If you're happy with more losses than wins and WR no longer being a fortress as well as going backwards in almost every facet of the game then more power to ya.
I'm not happy with the individual results, but the bigger picture looks positive to me.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

We've lost 2 games at Welford Road all season. Is it no longer a fortress?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:17 am

We've lost 2 games at Welford Road all season. Is it no longer a fortress?
After getting home from the match on Friday, (where I thought the team almost tried too hard which led to mistakes like their breakaway try), I realised I struggle a bit with the fortress Welford Road mantra. Every post match interview or new signing has a question to the player about what Welford Road means/importance of performing well in front of fans etc. I know they are professionals but I just think that piles unnecessary pressure on the players and may force errors on the pitch if they do things they wouldn't otherwise because they are desperate to perform/please the crowd/ uphold the fortress WR mantra. I hope I am wrong and winning every remaining home game proves it.
As Good As It Gets