Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Saturday 28th January 2023 - KO 14:00

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:45 pm Tbf I thought given the worries our front row held up well even Richardson when he came on on his weaker side.
Tom West had a positive impact when he came on in the scrum too I thought. Looked a good signing - hope we make it longer term.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Don’t think the Weise incident is awful. His attempt to hold on are no different to what many do in that situation. Saw the one of the Ospreys ‘ forwards do a similar thing last Friday. Players often grab the ankle foot in those situations.
It was a local derby and there was plenty of niggle. Neither do I think Saints’ Ramm got anything other than yellow after 2 minutes!
As for Edwards, what do supporters expect? Young lad with no experience and their back row put a lot of pressure on him.
Time to move on!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:12 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:45 pm Tbf I thought given the worries our front row held up well even Richardson when he came on on his weaker side.
Tom West had a positive impact when he came on in the scrum too I thought. Looked a good signing - hope we make it longer term.
Very much agree. Our props did a decent job all round really considering how much more experienced the Saints options were at this level.

West is a very good loosehead who's had injuries at unfortunate times for his career. He'd be a great pick up for most sides, including us. Cronin is 32 and Whitcombe is 22 having someone aged in the middle would make sense in terms of succession planning.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

A frustrating day !
Stains were the better side overall but we kicked away possession far too often and lost control in key areas without any apparent thought why we were doing it
Was impressed with Whitcombe he doesn’t look a great athlete but he works really hard and is solid. I thought Richardson and Hurd stood up well
Cracknell put in a great shift, Reffell must have been injured or fatigued
Watson showed great skill at times and I’m a big fan of Potter
Keep the faith
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Reffell was holding his shoulder just before half time.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

We should have kicked for goal instead of touch. When your confidence is low being in front is the most important thing. Hanro is a great great player but im not sure about captain material, although im not sure there are anymore suitable candidates.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Relaxing with a beer with posh Richard the overall emotion is one of being short changed.

Derbys should be contested between two sides at full strength. The paying fan deserves this rather than a second rate game short on skill. It's the premiership....not the development cup.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Pretty poor game today, I haven’t seen it televised yet so can’t comment on the Wiese thing.

We have no backs moves, we have zero creativity other than Pollard cross field kicking. Saints covered each winger with two defenders that read the play easily enough.

We missed the six nations boys, but the game plan would have been the same. We can’t keep expecting up the jumper rugby to win it, the mauls aren’t as effective this year. We need some creativity in the backs!
Last edited by Grannyman on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

eastyorkstiger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:44 pm We should have kicked for goal instead of touch. When your confidence is low being in front is the most important thing. Hanro is a great great player but im not sure about captain material, although im not sure there are anymore suitable candidates.
Agree. We don’t seem to be learning here.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm just wondering why I bothered going today, I have had an accident and been ill, then had to watch that mundane boring WW tactic of booting the ball in the air and hope for the best, its boring me stiff, I genuinely thought that WW was playing as I have seen him doing it like that so many times.
We really have no other game plan bosh it up or hoof it.
I'm disappointed with Pollard , I was expecting more individual play from him, yes he cross kicked twice and threw out a couple of flat miss passes but what else did an established top international fly half do? Cant remember whether it was Pollard, think it was possibly Burns, who kicked ball through when we had a 3 on 1 overlap, Watson was furious.
Sadly we just gave the game away again today, I really cant be bothered commenting further on this, Saints were dross, we were far worse. Not looking too optimistic about rest of games whilst players are away.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Knightonian wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:16 pm Sadly what ever was working last year has been found out

Our line out regularly malfunctions and we seem to lack dynamism

I actually think we looked like we needed to kick more as when we passed we had no penetration

We definitely struggled at scrum half and in the front of the pack

We didn’t deserve to win

My worry is that this is what was happening under Steve; his plan either has been worked out or were lacking Genge and Ford to make it work.

There are positives and it’s not all doom
And gloom but we are no where near top 2 quality
Agree with nearly all this except the bit about Ford and Genge..I just don't see we miss them that much to justify the drop off in form we have seen. Scrum struggling (but has all season) lineout not great, driving maul ineffectual and no penetration in the backs if players do remember they exist beyond the playbook and pass to them.
As Good As It Gets
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:57 pm I'm just wondering why I bothered going today, I have had an accident and been ill, then had to watch that mundane boring WW tactic of booting the ball in the air and hope for the best, its boring me stiff, I genuinely thought that WW was playing as I have seen him doing it like that so many times.
We really have no other game plan bosh it up or hoof it.
I'm disappointed with Pollard , I was expecting more individual play from him, yes he cross kicked twice and threw out a couple of flat miss passes but what else did an established top international fly half do? Cant remember whether it was Pollard, think it was possibly Burns, who kicked ball through when we had a 3 on 1 overlap, Watson was furious.
Sadly we just gave the game away again today, I really cant be bothered commenting further on this, Saints were dross, we were far worse. Not looking too optimistic about rest of games whilst players are away.
That was where Pollard cut inside, took a few defenders with him and then passed inside back to Burns, who blew a massive overlap by kicking…..sheesh
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not the only example of us butchering overlaps. In the first half we had a 3 on 1. Burns cut back in and took the tackle instead of committing his man and trusting the 3 outside to deal with the one remaining defender.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

For me the massive momentum change was Pollard going off. We were much better organised when he was on the pitch. Once he departed we seemed to stop using the width of the pitch and defaulted to kick smash then repeat. Which was a massive shame because Watson and Potter were really testing them.

Have to admit I applauded the Saints Try - what a fantastic offload.

But I don’t blame WW for the loss. It was a close game as a Derby should be. But we were hamstrung before we even got on the pitch. That sits firmly with the RFU for ripping the heart of our coaching team because they panicked over EJ, as they also panicked last week over tackle height. And that’s before you consider the depletion due England, easily solved if they proactively looked at the calendar. Derbys should be an all guns affair between the best players on each team.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:29 pm For me the massive momentum change was Pollard going off. We were much better organised when he was on the pitch. Once he departed we seemed to stop using the width of the pitch and defaulted to kick smash then repeat. Which was a massive shame because Watson and Potter were really testing them.

Have to admit I applauded the Saints Try - what a fantastic offload.

But I don’t blame WW for the loss. It was a close game as a Derby should be. But we were hamstrung before we even got on the pitch. That sits firmly with the RFU for ripping the heart of our coaching team because they panicked over EJ, as they also panicked last week over tackle height. And that’s before you consider the depletion due England, easily solved if they proactively looked at the calendar. Derbys should be an all guns affair between the best players on each team.
Not really! Pollard went off in the 45th minute,we stopped playing rugby long before that. We played heads up rugby for the first 20 minutes if we are being generous but it was more like 15.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer